Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

@Al1885 Thanks for the answer :slight_smile:

Yes I have to check 1st that I’ve enough room for a 9V batterie. I don’t think so I’m at my ease to make another cavity in my bass for it.

Your bass is really really beautiful! It gives me some idea :slight_smile: starting with the gold string :slight_smile: I will keep my pickguard white in order to only have the hardware in gold. I still have to find tuning machine in gold which will perfectly fit in the pre existing cavity (I have a player serie).

Your knob are really nice, I choose celtic ones by my side as you can see on the picture:

I still have to wait a little bit for the micro… but I’m not hurry, I’m freshly father it takes all my energy for now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Which ones are these exactly? EXPs?

3 Likes

EXL165 and 170, yeah, depending on mood :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! I am still a bit confused with the naming of their strings and the differences… :wink:

3 Likes

Congrats my man.

I love that gotoh bridge. It’s solid. I have a nickel one on my MIJ.

4 Likes

I hope this date is correct :wink: 09/09/2021!

4 Likes

I hope its wrong! Earlier please…haha

5 Likes

I like that analogy I’ve never held an acoustic bass so I am curious.

3 Likes

i am really surprised at how reasonably priced those are.

3 Likes

Mine are on order…tick tock tick tock

5 Likes

Mines too!

4 Likes

Sweetwater guy just told me end of July

5 Likes

@John_E that is 2 eternities…

4 Likes

When I ordered my SR600e with Sweetwater in January, they said 6/7 is when they were expecting them.

When I checked with Guitar Center last month they said august.

I got a call from Sweetwater today and it should be in my hands for the weekend.

That’s my experience. Hopefully they’re right on the Les Claypool too

5 Likes

I have not heard them, but Al @Al1885 brought the Gold bass with him to show me, when he dropped off my Pete Wentz (now named Geezer) P bass, so I got a glimpse at them up close, and they are gorgeous. And that is coming from somebody that is not a big fan of Gold on basses.
That whole bass that Al put together is spectacular, especially up close. in particular the knobs are awesome, and really add to the whole thing.

Pic of the knobs

Both It, and my P bass are extremely light, I was very surprised. I expected them to be heavier than most of the basses I have, and it is probably the lightest, except for the Ibanez Mikro.
I am not sure if this is standard with all P basses, but mine has a Jazz neck (part of the Pete Wentz sig model) and a single volume knob, so I don’t know how much if any, that plays into the weight of it.

I am sure you will love them. I hope they sound as awesome as they look, but I doubt Les Claypool would put his name on anything that didn’t sound great. Just an opinion tho

5 Likes

This is something I want for sure one day.
Another plus of that new bass of yours

4 Likes

Lots has to do with your/our ray34 weight 15 stones, lol. Fender weight range in abou 8 and a half lbs-10 lbs with the exception on the Steve Harris that one is closer to 11. Squier is about a pound less.

I’ve not handle any MusicMan that weight less than 9 and a half pound. Except for the short scale and caprice. My neck through is over 10lbs.

4 Likes

Mine sure would look great sitting next to a LTD Frank Bello FB-J4 :wink:

There is a 2008ish Frank Bello Signature Squire that is same series this Pete Wentz came from. It is pretty cool, but nothing as cool as the LTD with the matte black and red trim and pick ups.

It is a Jazz bass, black with a white Skull across the bass. You have to look twice to recognize it as a skull.

I would take it, but My Pete Wentz P bass (black and red) would just look sick sitting next to the LTD Black and red Frank Bello Bat Mobile.

3 Likes

I should have asked you if wanted a Frank Bello pickup when we were bundling things. I have the emg FB red pickup. You have plenty of room underneath the pickguard.

4 Likes

I have never actually weighed mine, but my SBMM Ray4, is pretty light. My EBMM SLO Special is a little heavier, but it also is a BFR release and has a Jazz neck, like the Ray4.

This is my EBMM Stingray SLO special

I have been playing my Ray34 again, the past few days, and it is defiantly the heaviest of the bunch. It is older, like the one you just traded for, probably one or two years off, because mine has a Maple fretboard, and yours has the Rosewood, or dark fretboard.
I do not know if the newer (2018 and later) are any lighter. I don’t think they changed to light weight tuners on the SBMM Ray34 like they did on EBMM Stingray Special in 2018 and later, but if they did, it would help a little.

I had a Jaguar, Squire Vintage Modified, and I recall it being heavy too. I also had a SBMM Sterling SB-14, or whatever the model number is at the same time, and it was probably as light as this P bass, if not lighter, it was like a feather.
I actually thought it was just a super cheap Stingray, I didn’t know the difference between Stingray and Sterlings back then, so I sold it to upgrade to my Ray4. I really wish I kept it, looking back and know knowing what it was.
I paid $90 for it, and it was in really good condition.

I play mostly sitting, due to knee problems, so I don’t often notice a little difference in weight. I probably couldn’t tell a 1/2 lb. But with this P bass, it seems like a good 1.5 to 2 lbs lighter, and probably is. I am really loving this P bass. I knew that I would like it, but I didn’t expect to love it as much as I do.
More then my Stingray’s ?
Ha Ha, not quite.
But I would say it fits in right behind them next to my LTD B-4E

3 Likes