Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Oh, wow, that would have been cool.
If you get your hands on a cheap black Jazz squire, it would look cool put together with the red pick ups. Do you have the P/J set, or just the split P?

2 Likes

I have a pj set also got the red x series on my fretless too.

5 Likes

I am dying for one of these cheap Brownsville bat basses

My intent would be to make it look as close to the ‘60s TV show batmobile design wise as possible

4 Likes

Ah, so some yellow on it. Nice

3 Likes

Are you using the ramp on Geezer when your playing @T_dub ?
If so I’d be interested in your thoughts

2 Likes

No, I have not installed one yet. I was given one, but I just had not gotten around to it.
It feels totally natural for me to play it just latched onto the pick up, it is in the perfect spot, but I will get around to giving it a go, cuz I think I will like it, and if not on this P bass, I will probably like it on the Ray4.
I like where I play on the Ray4, but I don’t like the results of plucking right on top fo the poles, so if I can move an inch further up the body, and still have the feel of playing on the pick up, I think it will be golden.

3 Likes

That’s leet. I hate clear pick-guards unless it’s on a glorious sunburst body that makes you feel like you’re genuinely playing on a legit piece of furniture.
:ok_hand:Class :metal:
For sunburst it’s either no pick-guard or a clear one.

5 Likes

Dunno man, these are pretty sweet :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Then you’ll love this.

8 Likes

The clear switch panel would certainly give me a solution to adding certain preamps that have 3 pots + a volume pot :thinking:

5 Likes

@howard and @Al1885 I love them both actually. Those clear guards look amazing on each of them.

4 Likes

@Al1855, is that a U-Bass thumb rest you have stuck on the clear pickguard? Does it stick well, and have you ever had to remove it (meaning, does it leave residue or remove finish)? Also, is that another thumb rest between the pickups, and can you share where you found it? Thanks!

4 Likes

I bought it from Kala website it’s pretty neat it comes in 3 different shape per pack.

I have not removed any yet but it doesn’t look like it’s going to leave any residue. They are pretty good rest.

4 Likes

Okay, thanks. My Ibanez mikro doesn’t come with a pickguard, so just wanted to check.

I had thought about maybe using a UniRail universal thumb rest, which also tapes on, to go between the pickups, but the space is too small for the sizes they make (it’s about 30 mm). I find that I usually pluck between the end of the fretboard and the first pickup, anyway, so the U-Bass rest seems like it would work for me.

5 Likes

I have one on my P bass they rock!
I swapped shapes. No residue.

3 Likes

I went ahead and ordered the U-Bass thumb rest(s), and they might not ship for up to a week due to high order volume. I’m not in any rush, so it doesn’t matter to me.

3 Likes

A lot of tired thumbs out there I guess…

6 Likes

:laughing:

3 Likes

You should be able to get Stacked Pots on most pre-amps as an option instead of individual pots, so you don’t have to add any holes to the control plate. You should be able to get up to 6, but more common 5 or 4 with stacked pots in the control plate that has holes drilled for only 3 pots plus the jack, like your Ray4 has.

3 Likes

Before and after pics of my Fender PJ. In addition to the pickguard I also replaced the chrome knobs with white Jazz Bass knobs. The strings are DR Black Beauties.

9 Likes