Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

I nodded my Ray4 with a preamp with 5 pots and a Jack. It’s tight, but it fit with no cavity mods. Just drilled two extra strategically placed holes in the control plate.

5 Likes

@Never2Late I just use the pick-ups on my Mikro. Try it before you buy anything… I find it really comfortable. But I’m thinking about adding a thumb rest on my SBMM short scale

2 Likes

Thanks, @KenKnight. I’ve been using the pick-ups, and it’s okay, but not ideal from my point of view. Maybe the thumb rests won’t feel right to me either, but worth a try. The Kala U-Bass thumb rests arrived today, and I’ll now figure out where it seems best to place one.

3 Likes

So, just curious here. What do you think of brass nuts? I realise that this may sound… suggestive :smiley:

However, having read the zero fret thread, and then having dones some poking around, I came upon them on the interwebs. It seems like a good compromise between a zero fret and a plain plastic/bone nut/ Any thoughts?

2 Likes

My old boss had those . . . he was a real pleasure to work for . . :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Classic on Warwicks. Sound great to me and (as you note) removes any need for a Zero Fret :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think putting in a brass nut is as easy as putting in a zero fret. The difference in effort is minimal.

Now my hipshot bridge has brass saddles. That seems to be an upgrade

3 Likes

Seriously, take a look at the Warwick Just-A-Nut system in brass. Might require some bass mods but it’s a fantastic nut system. Gotta love adjustable nuts.

3 Likes

Shoot. Another idea that costs money

3 Likes

@howard

F’n A! As well as E, D and G :smiley:

4 Likes

I swear they make the best nuts and bridges. So good.

3 Likes

Well, anyways, just on a lark I ordered the brass nut. I’ll stick it on my P-bass, but it won’t come in until late July. F**k covid :frowning:

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

I have to admit to having a very childish giggle when I first read your post @MC-Canadastan and then @Jazzbass19 just topped it off :joy:

5 Likes

There’s so many helpful people here. My bank account takes a beating so regularly nowadays

4 Likes

That’s InveZtment BuZZ

3 Likes

My cousin, may he rest in peace, used to divide jokes into two categories: jokes that are funny, and jokes that are socially acceptable.

So, without further ado, the next gratuitous d**k joke drops in 3… 2… 1…

4 Likes

I have been told I have must have Nuts made out of Steel, but never brass.

2 Likes

Well, it has been known that the cold can freeze the balls off a brass monkey, but I hardly think that’s the same situation… unless trumpeters are particularly sensitive to a chilly evening.

3 Likes

So, I got 2 sets of strap locks on the last day of Amazon Prime Day, and they arrived today.

My Squire Pete Wentz and LTD Slayer bass don’t have locks, and all the other Basses do, so do most of the straps.
So I swap one lone strap between the two Basses, and it’s not the easy click and lock I have come to appreciate, so I got more, problem solved.

Now, The Squire, original buttons were a little loose, the screw, not stripped, but not the best engagement.

Plus
The new screws seem a tiny bit smaller.
But, it’s ok, I knows trick, and used it, and got great results.

First, get a chop stick , disposable, or tooth picks are ok too. I had a chop stick, so that’s what I used.

Mel’s, carve off some slivers ( break and tear if you can, this was not that weak and very smooth, so I used a nice to get the slivers.

Then pack in the hole

After that, I screwed in the new strap button, and the new, tight, fully engaged fit was the result.
I will spare you pictures of strap buttons.

6 Likes

I picked up two sets of strap locks while I was at the GC this morning.

That’s a good trick you showed, it will come in handy down the road, especially for Sire owners.

I also checked out a Sterling short scale while I was there (looks and feels like a toy) and a Ray34, neck was ok

4 Likes