Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

The company I worked for until 2017 used Macbook pro’s.

I did not perceive any performance advantage over my Windows 10-equipped PC (which is a fairly humble I5 Kaby Lake with plenty of ram because Photoshop).

Until a year or 10 ago, BSD would have a performance advantage over anything from Apple, Windows and Linux, especially on network operations, but that advantage has evaporated. Visual Studio runs fastest on a native Windows machine, and since that is what I make my money with, it’s my OS of choice. The fact that the software I develop runs on the .NET Framework makes the decision even easier. I like Java as a concept, but hate its performance and its occasionally crappy implementation.

And the hardware needed to run it is substantially cheaper at a comparable performance level. After all, a computer is a tool to do a job with, so if I can get the same performance at half the price, it is a no-brainer.

Caveat: If family members need assistance, I don’t “walk them through it” – I merely provide remote assistance.

3 Likes

My experience with PC and Mac have been yes and yes.

I have a MacbookPro from 2012 that runs just as fast today as the day I bought it and is ready to use as soon as I open the lid. It’s been a great machine.

For the music station I cobbled together a tower PC myself because I could get the parts that would optimize what I want to do for much less $ on that platform. Studio One runs fine on either platform. What I cared about most was having a ton of memory and solid state hard drive space for sound sample libraries because I want to play with orchestral scoring. I always get the nicest processor I can just before the price curve takes off like crazy for going any nicer. I figure if I ever overload the processor with effects I can get some kind of off-board parallel processor like the UAD and when I eventually do it will be faster than the ones that are available today, extending the life of the whole rig out into the future.

I usually read the reviews of what the gamers are building. They are really good at finding the most power for the money. I’ll just leave off the crazy expensive graphics cards they are putting in since any basic video output can draw faders and buttons.

1 Like

Success!
I decided to install the flat wound strings today so I took the old strings off and saved them, oiled down the fretboard and installed the LaBellas. OMG what a difference in the sound! I love it. At first blush the action feels pretty good, but I’m going to check it after some time to let the strings stretch a bit. :smiley:

8 Likes

Awesome @JerryP, congratz

2 Likes

Most EXCELLENT @JerryP!!

3 Likes

Just did this as a test for color, and comfort / fit. Results are positive for everything. Not too much money at around $14
Ernie Ball Strap Locks on my LTD B-4E.

The strap and locks

The Bass (LTD B-4E)

Swapping out the current parts.

It was super easy. No drilling involved (which would not have been a problem, just highlighting the fact) and the screws are a different pitch then what was there to help secure it.

All in all,I am happy with the color match, and the way the device works. It differed from the others that slide and pop into place. These go in the center and lock. You squeeze to buttons to release, and done.

I beleive I saw the same ones with Fender logo for you P and J guys out there

9 Likes

That bass is a beaut :star_struck:

4 Likes

Hi @JerryP,
Flatties are the best, smooth as silk and very warm,
I have them on just about all my basses.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I thought we should avoid talking about religion. (PC vs Mac)

But just to chime in and give @peterhuppertz some support as European: I have not made good experiences with apple customer support. It was about the iPod back then. There are more reasons for me to not go Mac, but then it would really be a more realigious type of discussion instead of my own experience.

Not even a week after the warranty was void my iPod broke. Since there was no warranty on it anymore I would have to pay for repair and that didn’t really pay off, because there already was the next gen released and I would have to pay as much for repair as was the price for a used one. Also the warranty apple gives is the lowest for any tech product here. When talking to the support there was absolutely no goodwill there. They told me “you’re screwed” in nice.

So I’m inclined to believe it’s better in the US after hearing your stories, but for Europe I can corroborate @peterhuppertz story.

I also agree with him on the hardware cost and also used to work in a company with a Macbook Pro.

2 Likes

Very nice post and detailed pics, @T_dub . . . :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing :+1:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Thanks @joergkutter and @Jazzbass19.

I really Like the look and style, as well as the mechanics of this system.
Also, some on Amazon were showing drilling in the instructions for their screw. It’s no big deal, I would be comfortable doing it, but wait.
Why do I have to modify my bass to use YOUR. Screws when I can just take the existing one out, and put this one back in. What if I decide to sell the bass and want to put the original hardware back? Just doesn’t sit good with me.

Also, these mount by going inside. Press the buttons, insert, let go, locked. Others slide over, and pressure lock. It’s ok, but seems like more wear on parts, and I plan to unlock, at least the tail end every time.

Anyway, I am happy with the quality, aesthetics, mechanics, ease of set up, and price.

And for you Fender Buffs:

Amazon has them :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Excellent upgrade @T_dub! Certainly one of the least expensive but most important upgrades anyone can do to a bass! :+1: And such a beautiful bass!!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

Thanks for both compliments :+1:t2: :facepunch:

3 Likes

More Strap lock fun.

The set up

Removed the old - screwing in the new

And Viola!!!

6 Likes

Very nice!

You might want to consider reusing the felt washers to prevent overtightening issues. Optional though.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, the SR400 didn’t have any. It is there on the SR300, you can see it against the body on the picture with the screw sticking out.
I don’t have anything here to use for the SR400 right now.

Btw, the OLD and NEW photo are not the same bass

2 Likes

This whole Apple thing reminds me of luxury German cars brands. I hear people raving about how “every time” they took that Mercedes or BMW (two former bosses respectively) in to get XYZ repaired they got treated super well and had free espresso and a loaner that was an upgrade from their normal car, etc. And the folks driving Lexus and Acura have never even seen the repair side of their dealer, because the car was utterly reliable. My Subaru and two Toyotas (over the past 14 years) have never had anything but routine maintenance (battery, brake pads and other "expendables count as routine because they are eventually expended on any car). Not even a single repair.

My wife and I have identical 4 year old Samsung phones, a 5 year old Dell laptop, 7 year old HP desktop and few old Acer and Gateway laptops lying round (obsolete specs but still perfectly functional). I’ve never needed a single repair or any warranty work on any of them. Why would I spend 2-4x more for identical specs at Apple, just so I could see how nice the Genius Bar is?

7 Likes

@KenKnight agree 100% on everything you said.

3 Likes

Very similar to the Harley vs everything else arguments I’ve endured on the motorcycle riders forums. I’ve owned 5 different motorcycles over 40 years of riding, but have chosen NOT to ever purchase a Harley. All my Harley riding friends are constantly bringing them in for repairs, or breaking down when we’re on rides, yet they still keep raving about how wonderful it is to be Harley owner LOL.

6 Likes

love that cherry sunburst

2 Likes