Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on them @Wombat-metal

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of the NYXLs. I have them on my jazz bass. They feel more comfortable and less “gritty” than other rounds I’ve tried. And holy crap they stay in tune! I feel like I could drag my bass behind my SUV on the way to the gig and still be in tune when I got there.

I did have a musician friend warn me, “you know those are going to stay bright, right? You’re not going to get that dead string sound.”

Um, yup. As far as I’m concerned, that’s the point of a jazz bass.

4 Likes

Yeah I think they are pretty much the best strings. I really love them.

3 Likes

So, the deed is done. I have installed the Seymour Duncan Steve Harris pickups in the P-bass, as well as a Chinesium clone of a high mass hipshot bridge. I also shielded the living bejeebus out of the bass and corrected all the grounding, so that it’s very quiet now. However, I wanted to do some before and after comparisons, so for now I left on the GHS precision flats.

Pics:

Here are some sound clips from before and after. To me the difference is night and day:
Before

After

I love the way it sounds now. I can’t wait to put on the SH strings, but I’m putting off that moment like a good cigar.

However, it wasn’t without problems. As I was doing it, the shielding ended up touching the jack contacts, so even though component testing worked fine, once put together it gave no sound. That took me a while to figure out.

Also, I think I can hear a strange harmonic on the D string. Here is a sound clip of a few notes moving up the neck on the D. What do you think? Dead string, or am I hearing things?

6 Likes

Night and day on the pickups, much fuller tone, can even hear on my crappy laptop speaker.
Can’t hear the D string issue, but again, crappy speaker.

2 Likes

Hey @Mac, great to see you being back to @Mac.

Cheers!

6 Likes

Ha ha I didn’t realize he was the same person until he posted his head in the tattoo thread! Yea glad to see @Mac as Mac back!

4 Likes

It’s much better being Mac lol
Should make @T_dub happier :joy:

8 Likes

A few recent upgrades to my Fender MIM P Bass

Pickguard - One piece of solid wood (I chose Zebrawood for the grain pattern) made by a cool little company in Missouri (Van Dyke-Harms) - PICKGUARDS | Van Dyke-Harms
Screws - True Custom Shop Black Pick guard Screws #4 x1/2"
Output Jack - Pure Tone Black Nickel
Knobs - Vintage Forge
Bridge - Gotoh 201B-4
Tuners - Hipshot HB7
String Tree - Vintage Forge
Neck Plate - 920D

17 Likes

Love that pickguard

6 Likes

That’s luverly, @Barney .

How are you doing with the weather in BC? Are you guys OK?

2 Likes

Love that whole vibe. Great job @Barney

4 Likes

What a great idea for a pick guard @Barney !
The whole ensemble looks cool as

3 Likes

Thanks, we’re OK here but it’s been pretty crazy for some of my other friends in BC. 270mm of rain in 48 hours! I have a buddy in Merritt, they evacuated the whole town because the water flooded the sewage treatment plant :frowning:

6 Likes

@Barney That is a gorgeous instrument

1 Like

That all gels together beautifully.

Looks Fab @Barney

2 Likes

Really nicely done @Barney looks great.

2 Likes

some parts for an upgrade of my Ibanez archtop bass :

I will probably create a new post to explain how and why replace a pickup selector switch by a blend pot.

8 Likes

Nice.

I keep meaning to fit pointers to my Les Paul but somehow never get around to it.

3 Likes

I had that done to my Fender Mustang PJ when I first got it and have not regretted that decision.

3 Likes