Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

You could also buy the full ESP pickups and then you essentially have a $4k guitar, tone wise :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is what I did on the Frank Bello bass and love the results. $4,000 tone for $200 (and sold the original pickups for $100, so actually only cost $100).

3 Likes

Had a white and parchment made and the clear winner is parchment! Will save the white in case another Aerodyne needs it.

10 Likes

Good choice. Nice bass

3 Likes

That’s, that’s, heck! I want one.

3 Likes

This is the one with the Geezers in it.
It will get the copper tapes when they arrive and then hopefully this one is done!

Japan Aerodyne #4 (burst) arrives Monday, a week ahead of schedule from the UK. it’s a straight Jazz bass and will get Fralins in it

2 Likes

I’ll try this. Have two choices,

EMG 35PX and EMG35JX

Duncan SSB

Leaning towards the latter, what do you think? I will add I have a Stream 1004 on order with an EMG 35P and EMG35, not the PX and JX, which does make a difference.

Now to sell my Squier P with the Geezer pickup to fund this :slight_smile: I have reached my spending budget for the month (and probably next)

3 Likes

I am not a good one to chime in here, but I bet @Al1885 can help you.

3 Likes

Which bass are you talking about? The picture I see was mm and soap bar.

If you are going with 2 35mm soap bar and want tonal options and t have 4 knobs space why not consider 35twx running 18v just because you can.

Twx on its own already have tonal options you can choose single coil and humbucker, double that you get interesting and usable classic to modern sounds. The x series just to make sure that you are properly heard.

I have a single on my Spector love it.

6 Likes

I’m talking about my Stream 204

or

Have two of them.

I would have to drill 2 holes to add toggle switches, shouldn’t be a problem. Fitting a second battery could be on the black; the burst I can hide a pocketunder the pickguard.

Not much room in the back. Sound reasonable?

6 Likes

Toggle switch for what?

2 Likes

That’s nice. I’d go with the twx if you can poke another hole. That way you’d have a legit jazz pickups and pretty awesome humbucker set.

If you want another upgrade I’d go with the Bartolini quad soapbar but like every Bartolini, it’s an acquired taste. The thick thump stone is not for everyone. Lol

2 Likes

Might be room in the larger cavity already. Lots of makers tuck them in there.

3 Likes

TWX has a Jazz pickup which you can engage with a switch, so it’s two pickups in one, humbucker or jazz (without the hum)

3 Likes

Okay, I’ve gpne through the install instructions, and it comes with a push pull volume pot, so I can do vol/vol/tone, and not drill any holes. If I can fit a second battery in, I can use my black stream. Which is my preference.

4 Likes

Ahh! Yes that’s right you only need one tone pot.

3 Likes

Well, one just came up on reverb. Way too high a price but nice upgrades. Maybe you can talk him down. And pickguard planet now has a template haha.

3 Likes

Hey thanks @John_E. My question is more like the nut width of 1.59” that’s like halfway between jazz and precision. It could be good or bad. I agree the price is a bit high even for a rare find.

2 Likes

Day 2

She’s cleaned up, oiled up (fretboard), new strings - Fodera mediums. New pickups - EMG CS neck, DC bridge, new strap locks, old strap. She is good as new with a few dings. ​

She 's a little rocker now. Needs a name.

10 Likes

I got tired of the crap tuners on the Frank Bello bass and swapped in Hipshots. With the pickups and now tuners in (still under new price point) I’m a lot happier with it.

I bought a black Hipshot kickass bridge for it but can’t get the E to intonate (can’t get saddle back far enough). Decided not to drill holes just yet so for now it stays. Tuners are great though.

6 Likes