Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

It feels and sounds great. I wouldn’t get put off by a bad experience, for the money I spent how can I be dissappointed? It’s still less than a Squire costs

4 Likes

Should add I have a cull coming myself. Just need to update pictures

3 Likes

The new pickguard for my Stingray finally arrived. I went from plain black to a black sparkle.

14 Likes

That is light years better!

5 Likes

I agree. Some people pay good money for that in a much larger degree.

Although that would be awesome, I get away with a Black and Decker electric screwdriver that has the hex to allow to change screw head bits.

Then I get a set of these something like these

I actually get the metric set, and I get by just fine with the piloting holes needed for 2mm tuning key mounting holes and 3mm pick guard size screw mounting holes and up to the 4mm or so size screws used in bridges.
(of course, you are drilling undersized, like a 1mm hole for a 2mm screw, and 3mm for a 4mm screw, etc…)

My way is not the best, but it works just fine for my needs, and is not an over investment for how often I actually use it.

5 Likes

Went to Harbor Freight at lunch and got this bad boy

And a bit set.

The things you do in the name of upgrades

Now I need to get me a bit for machine heads. Buy one thing and you need one more.

Also my tape wounds, D’addario ETB92, came so putting them on tonight

6 Likes

If it works it works. Always use what ya got. And save the extra dough for another bass of course.

3 Likes

New pick guard. I :heart: the 70s

16 Likes

That is so disgustingly cool AF.
Nice.

4 Likes

That. Is. Perfect.

4 Likes

She’s a beauty

4 Likes

Needs a pair of matching OP shorts and a moustache….

6 Likes

Got new strings on optima gold unique studio, now it has the brightness. It sounds and plays beautifully. This weekend is going to be a very busy weekend for me. I’ve got the Lindy Fralin pickups and control plate in for my 75 jazz and the G&L MFD p pickup and 920d preamp for my p bass. Hopefully, I get them all done.

10 Likes

It’s properly called the Horrible Fright. We don’t have them here in Canadastan. Our equivalent is Cambodian Tire, but we also have the Homeless Despot and Blows as well.

5 Likes

Well it’s done and the strings are on

She sounds like a Super P. She has the P bite but at the same time is warm, with plenty of low end. Good pickup.

Now to run some errands and later will see if I can get the fret buzz out. On the A string I get a bit of buzz around fret 14, everything else is fine.

On deck:

10 Likes

And done.

Now to find matching knobs, but looks good

9 Likes

That’s an awesome looking basses. @Wombat-metal. love the Matte black(it looks matte black)

Is that a mirror pickguard?

2 Likes

Ok TestBed 2. It’s Squire P bass with G&L MFD and 920D custom. This thing sounds great. I was trying to put my E Serie Korean Squier neck on but the pocket is not the same size and shimming is not possible last night. I was going to put the Vintera Roasted maple neck on it but that mean I had to put on the tuners, too lazy last night.

I might change out the pickguard, the gold does not look that good on this one. Also switched out the pickguard on my G&L JB, I always wanted this lake placid blue and white binding on the neck. Got a good deal on it so I picked it up directly from G&L.

10 Likes

Yes and yes, it is matte black with a mirror pickguard. I like the look

2 Likes

That blue one with the G&L neck is absolutely insane with that pickguard. Is that a G&L, or just the neck? It’s boooooootiful!

3 Likes