Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

I like the Kickass bridge, but I have a Hipshot A on my Stream 1005 and like it a lot. I like the Fender Himass a lot too. I like the Hipshot A of these 3, then Fender, then Kickass.

4 Likes

I put a Wilkinson bridge on my Squire P, which is an upgrade but pretty close to Fender. Sturdier and I like the adjustment better than Fender, it’s what ESP uses.

Fender on top, Wilkinson on bottom

3 Likes

Listening to a lot of DiMarzio comparisons and I really like the Model P.

5 Likes

I’ve got DiMarzio’s on my jazz @howard and love them.
I’ve also got the BadAss bridge ( mk1 I think) and that’s solid but the body was butchered to fit it! Not something I would have been prepared to do but I’m thinking back in the late 70’s it was the only option

4 Likes

yes ! I’d like a Relentless. for your information, the pickup on Greenie is the Model P, also known as DP 122 . at the time I chose it because it’s the pickup used on the very early BC Rich basses.

I’d consider a Lindy Fralin if I wanted a very vintage-sounding P. otherwise I find that my MEC Dynamic Correction (made in Germany ; comes from a MIG Warwick) is a really impressive pickup.

I suspect that I would have gone back from every other “high mass” bridge, as well. what I like is the crappy old light bridge, I think. at this point I don’t consider a bridge “upgrade” at all.

7 Likes

Model P is really nice

5 Likes

I’m really liking the DP122 samples I am finding online. Probably more than the Relentless, actually. Certainly more than the Quarter Pounders and Fenders.

Yeah I think there’s very little wrong with the bent metal ones frankly, and I like that it’s light. The SBV has a bent metal vintage-style too and it does just fine.

If I do replace it I am actually leaning towards the Gotoh. Looks like a slightly more solid, better made version of the same thing.

6 Likes

yeah, can’t agree more :grin: I can like the SPB-1 and SPB-2 but I’m not a big fan of the SPB-3.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s one thing that worried me abou the FGN; that it had a pair of SPB3s, which sound pretty good together. I have an SPB1 and a Dp122 from Dimarzio in my parts box though and figure I could always buy another pickup if the SPB3s don’t impress. Probably the Model P. It is so lively

3 Likes

The Fralin, Fender CS '62, and Bare Knuckle all sound pretty similar to me. Fralins slightly better than Fender, and Bare Knuckle probably the best. But at over $200 of course it is.

Hmm, I should probably do the pots, cap and jack now too, huh. 250k log pots and a .047uF capacitor sound good?

2 Likes

yes but it depends on the output level of the pickup. On Greenie I replaced the volume pot for a 500k but left the 250k tone pot (well I actually replaced it, but it’s still a 250k). a 500k tone pot would bring a little bit more high end, maybe I’ll do it one day but I’m pretty happy with the current setting. Also I prefer a linear volume pot, and a log tone pot. a log tone pot is quite mandatory, but the volume pot taper is way more a matter of habit and personnal taste.

.047uF is the right cap value in my opinion for a passive bass, in most cases.

4 Likes

I happen to have a 500k log pot lying around, could just get one more if they work well with the DiMarzios.

I definitely want to change the jack no matter what; the stock one is very tight, to the point it feels like it stresses the pickguard when removing the cable.

2 Likes

If you look at the wiring diagram for Dimarzio, they recommend 250k tone and 500k vol for the model p

4 Likes

Depends what your after in tone for pickups.
Geezers and quarter pounders I can comment on as I have them. They are not classic P, each has distinctive tones of their own. Same goes for Les claypool’s. I had Aguilars and thought they were just ok.

That said I do tend to like the quarter pounders a lot.
Their vintage P is really good too.

I’d imagine the relentless are the same (@Al1885 what do you think).

For classic P sound stick with Fender or Fralin. I agree with @Barney that the MIM Fender P pickups are really great. Nothing is the same for this classic sound. Fralin being tops for me.

5 Likes

The stock pickup on the MIJ isn’t bad at all - didn’t mean to make it sound bad. That said it’s not nearly as good as the Yamaha P on my SBV, either.

5 Likes

Seymour Duncan SPB-4 Steve Harris pups. Think :hamburger: :hamburger: with jalapenos.

I have them on my P-clone, and they are great.

4 Likes

I’m really liking my EMG pickups. Not sure if I would go for the geezers. The p series looks more interesting to me.

5 Likes

Just thought “why not?” and ordered:

DiMarzio Model P
CTS 250k and 500k pots, .047uF orange drop
new knobs (current knobs are metric (6mm), CTS are SAE (1/4", 6.35mm))
Switchcraft jack
Gotoh 201B

The tuners are great, no need to swap them. No real need to swap any of this really, but sounded fun. Now I just need to decide if I want to drill or ream the pickguard out to 3/8" for the new pots. Hmm, I might not have a reamer, actually.

7 Likes

Let us know how they are!

On the bridge side of things, I really like the HipShot Kickass bridges, with one caviat.
Some bass/string combos create a condition where you cannot intonate the E string properly. This isn’t just me, its a thing. All depends on where the mounting holes are and what string tension is used. This bit me on the ESP Bello bass and almost got me on another but was just enough room.

One bridge I really like that solved some weird issues on one of my Aerodynes with a crappy bridge on it was the KTS Titanium - very very good bridge but not really needed if your bridge is satisfactory.

I only swap bridges if a problem exists or for asthetics.

6 Likes

Or if you really want to :metal:

5 Likes