Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Can’t wait to hear it. Great pickup

4 Likes

I think I like the SPB4 better than the SPB3s on my Mighty Mighty Power Bass. Enough to swap out? I’m not sure. Because it sounds great now.

6 Likes

That’s an awesome shopping list. I love the Gotoh 201b. High quality and great price. I installed pretty much every color options including the titanium on my basses.

If you are after the P bass tone, I think many of the companies’ signature P series deliver the promise. Classic P bass tone is quite well known and vanilla. Quarter pounder and the Aguilera do this really well Fralin takes it up another level with the classic tone and build quality.

Personally, I’ve come to love the modern P pickups, Delano big pole, G&L MFD, Relentless, and EMG’s signatures like Geezer and Les Claypool are just the pickups that I own and love. Not to mention the ever awesome MusicMan Cutlass bass pickup as well as Sandberg and Lakland.

5 Likes

Yeah I’d describe what I am after as a modern, mids-forward, aggressive P. I think the DiMarzio sounded pretty awesome for that.

Plus I have an unnatural love of ceramic pickups :slight_smile:

6 Likes

For posterity, here’s what the Hybrid II pickup sounds like both dry and EQ’d/amp simmed. Not entirely happy with the EQ and amp settings yet though.

Like I said, not bad at all really, but looking forward to the DiMarzio :slight_smile:

Apologies for it sounding a little dirty there, I was really digging in at times and still setting the action like I like.

5 Likes

I’ll post more info later, but man, I wish I had taken apart my P-Bass before ordering all those upgrade parts. I got them all today, including a new pickguard; I replaced the bridge, wired up the new electronics installed in the new pickguard, and then started taking apart the bass to install it. That’s when I noticed, looking at the stock electronics I was about to replace…

…they’re beautiful already. Great pots, a much better cap than the one I had ordered, the best jack I have ever seen, and a better solder job than I can do. Additionally, in addition to the bridge ground, it has a second ground lead going to the shielding paint in the cavity, which had another lead from it going to the shielding paint in the pickup cavity. It’s fantastic, really high quaity electronics job for a stock bass in this price range.

All I ended up doing was putting in the new DiMarzios and loosening the jack flanges a little. Put it all back together and there she be, new pups and bridge. Sounds fantastic.

So, if anyone is wondering about the quality of MIJ Fenders, this Hybrid II is very, very nice.

So… now I have an extra P-bass pickguard all wired up for fun. Oh well. Maybe I’ll sell it.

16 Likes

That looks great! My MIJ Aerodynes from ‘07-‘10 were wired like crap, so something got better, never see that! Cool

5 Likes

Yeah I was blown away. FujiGen has upped the bar, apparently.

4 Likes

Interestingly, my Chinese P-clone had this stock as well. I was truly pleasantly surprised in a bass that cost $230 CAD new and shipped.

When I went to replace the pups in my JJ Peavey, it didn’t. So I tried putting this in after shielding the cavities and… the bass stopped making any noise. So, I took my mod out, but it’s something I still want to do. I’m just wondering what I may have botched there.

4 Likes

Something got shorted.

3 Likes

My Ibanez Talman had that. Kind of surprised at that price point.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Look at me!

2 Likes

Nice. Now I’m tempted to take the pickguard off my Fujigen and see what’s inside. I can see a new thread - show us your guts

8 Likes

so, what do you think about the DiMarzio ?

4 Likes

Holy moly that looks really tidy! Tight jacks will loosen up after some use. At least in my experience.

Also curious about the pickups :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Oh it’s really good. definitely hotter than the stock pickup too, but weirdly a little more sensitive to height. Still, I was impressed last night - very punchy, great low mids. I haven’t given it a real workout yet but I was loving it at first impression.

Another thing I noticed while restringing last night - the tuners on the Hybrid II are really good too. Maybe not quite HipShots, but good enough I wonder if they might be Gotoh. All in all so far the Hybrid II is a big win for quality.

6 Likes

Put an Allen wrench into the poles and you can adjust the height you know. They’re pretty hot, but still a lot of clarity

My FGN tuners are Gotoh. They’ve got a socket on the bottom so you can adjust the tension. Something to check

4 Likes

Yep have not tried adjusting the poles yet, still need to do a full setup - the bass is way out of setup now with both a new bridge and pups.

3 Likes

yeah, I’m happy you like it :slight_smile:

it seems quite possible

4 Likes