I just made a post about a “sexy new bass” I have my eye on (Gibson T-Bird), and it occurred to me that there’s so much confusion about what is “worth it”.
I have a Squier Jazz Bass, but Squier is “owned” by Fender . . . I want a Gibson, but Epiphone is “owned” by Gibson . . .
Why would I spend $2300 on something from Gibson, when I can get the equivalent from Epiphone for $400-750? . . . and why did I spend $350 on something from Squier, when the equivalent from Fender costs at least $1000 more? . . .
Well . . . there are differences between these manufacturers, some small and subtle, and some more obvious . . . I did a LOT of digging around on the Interweb and confirmed this. Are American-made Fender basses of better quality than those made in Mexico? Do foreign-made basses have less quality control than those made in North America? etc. etc.
What is YOUR take on this? . . . (votes are anonymous)
“American made” . . . means Fender and Gibson guitars made in the USA
“Foreign made” . . . . . means Epiphone, Squier, Fender MIM made outside USA
- American made is BEST and is worth the higher price
- Foreign made is as good as American made, just cheaper
- Foreign made is BETTER than American made
- Foreign made is ~OK, but has less quality than American
- American made is just overpriced due to labor costs
- It’s a global economy, doesn’t make any difference to me
Post your additional thoughts and opinions here.
All best, Joe