USB Mics

I just want a cheap and dirty set up (although price is not really an option) to record my Bass playing and share with others.

Can someone give me some direction as to what type of USB mics to use to record with and if there is a preference as to make and model within the users on this channel?

2 Likes

Hi Celticstar, I see in your other post you’re using Audacity on a Windows 10 desktop. I’m using the same tools and I just plug my amp into the “Line In” port on my PC (blue 3.5mm). Then you may have to go into the sound settings in Windows and click “Listen to this device” or some such setting. I can take some screenshots later if you’re interested in this setup. It’s dirt cheap, but good enough. All you need is an aux-out on your amp and a long aux cable to get from you amp to the PC.

3 Likes

@GanglyCloth

Aux out on amp? Never seen this before.

Aux in on amp yes. I use this to play along with an MP3 backing track.

2 Likes

Just to clarify. Do you have an audio interface currently? That’s how most people would record, with or without a mic. But you don’t need it to be USB if that’s the case. If you just want a mic that will go into the computer directly then I know the AT2020 USB and Rode NT1 USB are popular as general mics, but not sure how good they are for bass specifically. Of course, if you have a DAI, you can usually just plug straight into it.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that a DAI might be a better investment than a mic if you don’t have one. That is unless you are trying to do something specifically with the mic, like mic your amp, but even then, I’d have that going into a DAI.

1 Like

@JT

I understand what you are saying but I am trying to keep this as simple as possible and miking the amp with a usb mike would seem to follow this thinking.

3 Likes

I can see why you’d come to that conclusion, but for me personally, I find plugging my bass directly into an audio interface to be the easiest. I think it’s much harder to get the sound you want from a mic (I’ve tried). Both methods will still be going into software one way or another. You should go with what you think will work best for you though. Just my opinion.

3 Likes

This might help you with these questions too. It’s a concise video about recording. Paul Davids is great. Shame he’s not a bassist. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I found this Roland GO : MIXER pro, Audio mixer for smartphones. Very easy to use. It’s about 150.00 if you can find it. It’s been sold out since the Pandemic started. But so EZ to use. I do have an audio interface I use mixcraft to record my music but syncing video and audio can be a pain. I also use a zoom H1n for handy recordings.

hope this helps. My two cents. I also have a program called riffwork that I purchased back in 2016. But that’s very basic. You buy drumming track and make your own riff and record them. Fun stuff.

2 Likes

That’s right. I use the aux out on my Vox headphone amp to record but I’m pretty sure my Rumble 40 has one too. If your amp doesn’t have an aux out then I’m sure you could find an adapter for it.

While I’m sure a DAI would be better (I don’t know what I’m missing) my setup still sounds decent and I was able to put it together with stuff I already had on hand so it’s definitely cheap. I’ll send some pics/screenshots later tonight.

2 Likes

I’m convinced. Thank you.

3 Likes

Thank you thank you.
This is what finally convinced me to go through a DAI, which I already have.

3 Likes

Look at the back of your Rumble 40 and confirm for me if it is Aux In or Aux Out.
My Rumble 100 has an Aux In.

After watching Paul Davids video I agree and have decided to go the DAI route although I would still like to see the pics/screenshots of your setup.
Thank you.

3 Likes

@Celticstar

Aux out is labeled “Phones”

Plug in to your PC’s Line In (blue)

I have an aux extension for convenience.

Once you’re plugged in right-click the speaker icon in your Windows Task Bar and click “Sounds”
Sounds

Then in the Sounds menu click “Recording”, double click your Line In. Then in the Line In Properties window click the “Listen” tab and check “Listen to this device”

After which you should hear it through your headphones/speakers.

Last set your input source in Audacity to “Line In”

5 Likes

I have the Rumble 100.

You also have the option to use the Rumble as a monitor whilst you send the signal via the XLR Line out into a DAI and then your computer.

3 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

I saw that.
Probably worth considering.
Thank you.

2 Likes

If you have a DAI, why not just get an XLR mic? What DAI do you have?

3 Likes

Or more obviously just record your instrument with the DAI? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree with @howard. Go either XLR mic or just straight from the DI into the DAI.

It seems USB mics are mainly targeted for vocals/podcast. For instruments I use a Shure SM58 (also good for vocal) and straight into the DAI. There is a LOT more (and better imo) options with XLR instrument mics.

2 Likes

Me too (for vocals). It’s the most-used vocal mic in the world and still only costs around $100. There’s really no reason to buy any other mic IMO unless you want a SM57 for only micing instruments.

3 Likes