We need a bass emoji! (Calling all artists)

Hey gang! So @antonio brought to my attention - it’s basically a criminal act that we have a :guitar: guitar emoji and NO BASS EMOJI. What is the world coming to?

Would any of the artistically inclined among you like to create a custom emoji to be used here on the forum? The specs are:

• Square aspect ratio (exact px not important, Discourse platform will auto resize to 20x20)
  • Any standard image format (.png is prob best)
  • Roughly match current emoji style i.e. :guitar: :zap: :crazy_face:

Hit me with your submissions and I’ll pick a winner to be proudly summoned by the :bass: tag!

We could even have multiple if we started getting EAS (emoji acquisition syndrome), could have :jbass: and :pbass: just in case. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

@JoshFossgreen you forgot to mention it should be a P Bass as it IS the original bass :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

The plot thickens:

grafik

To be honest, I have used the guitar emoji as a bass before. And it’d be a challenge to design something distinctive. Also, we could have a double bass emoji, too. :wink:

2 Likes

Here’s one bass emoji tuned with inkscape and setup based on a guitar emoji I’ve found (Noto Color Emoji Unicode 15.1).
Since this is a svg file, you should be able to modify everything as you see fit.

Not sure it’s usable though ^^’

7 Likes

is that… is that a Tort pickguard? :rofl:

Only joking, that looks awesome.

3 Likes

ha ha well, that was supposed to be something related to a Fender (Performer) Precision pickguard. But somehow I got lost midway and this went sideway ^^

2 Likes

it looks cool!

1 Like

If it includes a player he or she should be made to look appropriately “nerdy” but no drooling!

Those are limited to drummer emojis only!!! :drum: :drooling_face:

1 Like

hmm … pickguard modified :

• 128x128
    bass128
  • 24x24
    bass24

Unfortunately, past 64px, we can’t see anything anymore but it still… basically… vaguely resembles something like a … guitar.
I suppose we should aim for a more simplistic approach and caricatural traits to show that IT IS A BASS. And not something else ^^

1 Like

What if the background was a bass clef?

1 Like

[troll mode : on]
As expected, a jazz bass works slightly better ^^
[/troll mode : off]

2 Likes

That’s awesome!

Can you make the body BassBuzz orange?

1 Like

One bassbuzz orange body jazz bass, one !
Here’s your order :

• 128 :
    jazz_bass_128
  • 24 :
    jazz_bass_24

P-Bass BassBuzz variation :

• 128 :
    bass128
  • 24 :
    bass24
5 Likes

Cool!

Good stuff, @mediaklan! :heart_eyes:

We can’t see it on the 24x24 anyway - you could lose the third knob on the Precision bass and paint the pickguard around the bottom end.

Here’s a side by side, I think this works nicely. Any other opinions? Should the bass body be larger, or does that ruin the proportions?
bass24 :guitar:

jazz_bass_24 :guitar:

jazz_bass_24 :guitar:

bass24 :guitar:

I think my view is resized for the guitar emoji to 72p with the bass emojis in different lines of text:
bass24
:guitar:

2 Likes

Little variation with gibson-like 2R+2L headstock, j-bass, white pickguard. And overall simplified.

• 128 :
    jbass128
  • 24 :
    jbass24

Precision bass :

• 128 :
    pbass128
  • 24 :
    pbass24

I’ve fallen ill today :nauseated_face: (the kind of ill where a lot of things want to come out of your body, and very little comes in) so I won’t do anything more than this.

7 Likes

Just wanna say that you rock, @mediaklan!

1 Like

Love the direction! BB orange bodies is an obvious must.

And so the emojis hath officially been uploaded! :jbass: :pbass:

Just type :jbass : (minus the space) for :jbass:
Or :pbass : for :pbass:

And if you start typing :bass, it’ll show you both options. Love it!

Anyone wanna make a custom bass clef emoji just for kicks too? Maybe orange for us dark mode folks?

9 Likes

Might not work at 24px but couldn’t help myself :

• 128 :
    bassbuzz_clef_128
  • 24 :
    bassbuzz_clef_24
6 Likes

@mediaklan You are friggin Rock Star!
Very cool of you to do all this.

:jbass: :pbass: Sweet!

1 Like