Weirdest Bass Tutorial?

Ok I would like to offer this up as the the weirdest bass tutorial I have seen on good old YouTube.
It starts (I kid you not…) with a lesson on combinatorial mathematics of all things, then has a complete 30 minutes of the tutor playing every possible combination of Index, Middle, Ring and Pinky fingering monotonously like a BassBot.
If anyone can top this for weirdness, please post.

5 Likes

That guy is either a mathematician or a coder or something along those lines. I get that it makes sense to train finger independence and break out of the usual patterns but this demonstration makes me not want to do it anyway.
This reminds me more of rubics cube formulas and practice than bass practice.

I know it’s a technical exercise but it still somehow feels like a parody.
How to suck the fun out of learning bass

8 Likes

So technically this is still a bass tutorial… it’s just not about bass guitar. I think it still counts as weird although from what I gather it’s not if you’re into beatboxing. Tutorial starts 1:17 - I would skip to that if you’re not into the music.

5 Likes

Ok does talking into a hairdryer beat guitar maths for weirdness?
Yup I’ll concede that one :ok:

7 Likes

Oh right! That is weird. He does it all the time on his channel so I stopped noticing it. I think at the start it was to visually demonstrate that there are no effects involved and it really comes all from him directly.

5 Likes

Hi @Mark_UK,
The fingering technique looks similar to an exercise that John Patituci had on YouTube 20 years ago.
Go to you tube and have a look at his spider technique.
Then again, it’s a scary exercise in the wrong hands, have a look and you will see what I mean,
Dave Weckel on drums is also pretty interesting.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

He’s actually a really prominent bass youtuber so if he has a full time day job on the side I’m impressed with his time management :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks @TNKA36, found a video of Patitucci and the spider exercise. Very similar, but no maths which was good!

4 Likes

Hi @Mark_UK,
His speed and dexterity is amazing.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

The serious side, if there was one, to my original post of the weird video, and why it made me laugh/cringe so much, is that my ability to want to take on-board something and practice seems greatly influenced by the delivery of the tutor. I could never sit through a dead-pan delivery of a lesson where the tutor didn’t seem to be having fun and engaged.
@JoshFossgreen lesson style keeps me engaged and is miles different to the example I posted.
Josh if you read this, a spoof video incorporating quantum mechanics and differential calculus into a bass lesson would always be welcome. :grinning:

8 Likes

Interesting.
Most “normal” peoplpe with no interest in math whatsoever don’t even know what I’m talking about when I say something like “4!” (the mathematical version - faculty. I don’t just shout 4) and not only his bass playing but also his voice seems robotic. It’s just…

you probably know what I’m talking about but still an interesting fact that he’s a full time bass player. Wonder how he manages while sucking the fun out of it… Well I assume he only does it with this exercise :wink:

6 Likes

I actually really like his content :slight_smile:

This is a pretty solid comparison video:

He’s also a spokesperson/bassist for Source Audio:

7 Likes

Nice. Yes in those he seems like a bassist. Even has a proper bass face. Approved!

I wonder if it’s because I’m used to the cirrus from all the lessons that I like it best tied with the LeFay. LeFay was unpleasant on those low growly bass lines but apart from that I liked it the most.
Did not like the stingray at all.
The Thumb thingy was not very versatile but I like the sound it creates.
Expected better from the Dingwall.

Okay with these videos I can understand you liking him. The review thing just let’s you decide for yourself although some talk about the feel of it would be nice I think.

And those techniques - wow. That may push me in the other direction again. He may be a robot.

2 Likes

For me the Warwick sounded great overall. The Cirrus reminded me of my bass, liked it a lot. The 'ray sounded like it was biased way too far toward the bridge pickup. The LeFay was just amazing, and the Dingwall sounded like a Dingwall, good for most stuff, except for the pick where IMO it completely beat all the others except the LeFay.

2 Likes

There are books for sale on amazon that outline the same thing he did on YouTube.
I started off my journey with one before starting to look on YouTube and get more personal style video and face to face lessons.

I did these excercises for about a month before I found B2B and when I did, I was able to get thru the course quickly, focusing mostly on what Josh was teaching, not getting stuck with fingering.
Mayb3 that is why I had that success, it seems to have worked in my case.
I still run down the fretboard in different finger patterns several times a week or more.
I fully agree with the lesson.

Seriously what a tosser.
He’s enough to make you give up bass.

1 Like

Speaking of Warwick @howard.
This just showed up. I only ever have seen a handful of rockbasses up for grabs, but never one of these. Don’t know much about it, as far as a deal or not, thought I would have you look.

Avoid. That’s a Rockbass Streamer Standard, passive variant. New retail price is not much more than that, $500-600ish. Except the body is also missing part of its top horn. No idea if they made some rockbasses like that or if it is some weird anomaly but it is definitely not a typical Streamer. It almost looks more like a Thumb body shape.

1 Like

That’s probably his worst video ever.
His beginner lesson is pretty awesome. Pay attention to his muting technique.

4 Likes

Good to know, ty

1 Like