What albums can you listen all the way through?

Guys I was lucky enough to listen to a performance of Dark Side of The Moon at the local planetarium the other day - they played the whole album through the sound system with loads of psychedelic old-school graphics on the big screen. Mind - fairly blown :slight_smile:

I got thinking - when was the last time I turned the lights off, switched off the phone and sat through a whole album end to end? Itā€™s been ages I can tell you. So apart from Pink Floyd albums, what can you recommend for turning on and dropping out for an evening?

10 Likes

I work on my own a lot, so sometimes Iā€™ll put on the soundtrack to my favourite film of the past 20 years ā€˜Moonā€™ and listen end to end.
Clint Mansell is a really good composer imho.
If youā€™ve never seen the movie itā€™s about guy who works on his own on the moon.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4pqxRCUp4r0

6 Likes

Oh I forgot about soundtrack albums! I loved the film Moon. Really atmosphericā€¦

2 Likes

The other movie soundtrack I listen to in full at work is The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Nick Cave and Warren Ellis
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J7O46j8IS0c

4 Likes

Hey that Song for Jesse reminded me of Solaris (2002 version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jintml12qaY

2 Likes

I do this all the time, with every single album I have at one time or another. It is so so so more meaningful to listen this way.

Honestly - any album made back in the day of album creation for the sake of creating a complete ā€˜albumā€™, but - here are a few of what I think fit the bill best and I listen to over and over start to finishā€¦

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme - just do it, and do it a lot until you ā€˜get itā€™, you can thank me later
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love - absolute masterpiece - especially all the other songs besides ā€˜Running Up That Hillā€™
Abbey Road
Twin Peaks soundtrack - any and all - turn the lights down
Peter Gabriel - So
Zeppelin - Physical Graffitti
Tower of Power - Live in Living Color
KISS - Destroyer, Alive!
Sinead Oā€™Conner - The Lion and the Cobra
Oliver Nelson - Bluses and the Abstract Truth - brilliant
Pharoah Sanders - Karma
Kamashi Washington - The Epic (I dare you not to love it)
The Peddlers - any of the 3 they made
Billy Joel - Turnstiles
Marvin Gaye - Whatā€™s Going On
Prince - Purple Rain
Lords of Acid - Lust - you wonā€™t be ā€˜tuning outā€™ you will be jumping all over the room in happiness

I could go on, but these are really the cream of the crop from my ā€˜wallsā€™.
I defy you to hate any of these if you give them a proper critical listen.

5 Likes

Oh wow thatā€™s quite a lot of homework

Definitely Abbey Road - I got into that while trying to record Something
My brother was a big Tower of Power fan. Back to Oakland was worth a listen
I remember Kiss from long ago :slight_smile:

You know, Iā€™ve never given Prince much of a go. Iā€™ll put that near the top of the list ā€¦

Some great stuff there :slight_smile: :+1:

2 Likes

Itā€™s Oā€™Connor. we get sensitive about those thingsā€¦ :grin:)

4 Likes

I do this a fair bit, and it does depend on mood which dictates what goes on, but off the top of my head

Any Talking Heads album (I play Remain in Light and Naked a lot)
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
Pepe Deluxe - Queen of the Wave. This is a bit mad, but it really feels like the whole album is 1 big journey
I second the Twin Peaks albums too - especially the soundtrack to Series 3. Thatā€™s really good. In fact, thatā€™s what got me playing bass lines to the band Chromatics.
War of the Worlds soundtrack
Public Broadcasting Services - any album
The Cure - Mixed Up and Disintegration albums

3 Likes

Steven Wilson-The Raven that Refused to Singā€¦awesomeness personified.
War-The World is a Ghetto
Anything by David Gilmour
Alice Cooper-Welcome to my Nightmare-The ā€œStevenā€ trilogy of songs really gets to me

I wore out my vinyl LP of Dark Side of the Moon twice during the 70s, and finally got the CD when it was released.
Aside from that, the rock opera Tommy by The Who.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks @quadfather - The twin peaks album is definitely getting some traction! I liked the theme song (sorry canā€™t remember the nameā€¦)

Definitely WYWH. I had some seriously mellow evening listening to that in high school. :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Hah my uncle used to copy all his albums onto tape to avoid that :grin:. Thank god for digital eh :wink:

Oh yes - that is going right on the list!

4 Likes

Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord

5 Likes

Due to a reoccurring back injury, a couple of times a year I have lay on my back for a day or two (until the spasm stops and I can go to the physio). The only way to alleviate the boredom is to lay on the lounge floor, midway between the speakers and play an album, eyes shut, no ear phones.
This morning was Peter Gabriel - Us. This afternoon was The Silencers - A letter from St Paul.

Spotify ā€“ Us (Remastered)
Spotify ā€“ A Letter from St. Paul

2 Likes

Alan Parsonā€™s Project, Tales of Mystery and Imagination

Course, he engineered Dark Side of the Moon when he was just a kid.

Wish You Were Here also by Floyd, I think a better listen than Dark Side of the Moon, but thatā€™s subjective.

3 Likes

Dark Side of the Moon gets my vote, but I love all Floyd.

3 Likes

Ha ha. Listen to Uma Guma

2 Likes

wow - lots but to name a few:

• both joy division albums unknown pleasures and closer
  • early REM but specifically murmur, lifeā€™s rich pageant, reckoning, and fables of the reconstruction
  • paul simonā€™s graceland
  • every tycho album
  • fugaziā€™s 13 songs
  • most of the sigur rĆ³s albums but specifically hvarf/heim
  • NIN the downward spiral
  • basically all of Radioheadā€™s stuff but specifically ok computer and kid a

and likeā€¦ many more. also this is an excellent question that i shall be also asking on twitter. well done!

7 Likes