What are you listening to right now?

On the dock here at work, The Seventh One by Toto (the whole album)

Listening to my youngest son playing “What Child is This,” and a couple of Swedish Christmas-season songs on the piano:

• Hej, Tomtegubbar”* - apparently a drinking song about an old man/gnome in the woods.
  • a bit of “Santa Lucia” (holiday celebrating the return of light, on Dec. 13th).

*Tomten” are like small gnomes or old men, like Santa in Sweden.

A rough English translation of the drinking song:

Hey Santas, clink your glasses and let’s have fun!
A short time we live here, with much toil and great trouble.

1 Like

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZVXMxPzRMJI&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE
Dave Grohl,Lemmy and Billy Gibbons.
One of the few Christmas songs i play willingly

5 Likes

Would have been Lemmys birthday on Saturday :disappointed:

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/FFOzayDpWoI

4 Likes

Speaking of Lemmy, and stretching it a bit (or more), I was listening to Alan Davey’s Captured Rotation this weekend, a great record! Your typical Hawkwind album with juicy basslines -not surprising as Alan was Hawkwind’s bassist at the time-, highly recommended if you’re into Space Rock.

1 Like

2nd best apple … next to Pink Lady

2 Likes

Happy Birthday Su-metal! Today she turns 25.

Here is a song from her 15th birthday in 2012, White Love, which is fitting because we are in the middle of a foot of snow coming down here in the PNW.

Here’s Su, no special effects, no dancers, no choreography, working the crowd.

Japan has such an interesting metal scene. India is coming out with cool metal that mixes in their traditional instruments and dances also. I wish I had more time to explore what’s out there.

1 Like

It really does. It’s pretty varied and interesting, not cookie cutter metal at all. I really like the symphonic stuff, like what bands like Galneryus and Lucky Morpheus are doing. They share a drummer and the guy is a total beast :rofl:

1 Like

The only band I know of in that scene is Bloodywood, who mix Hindi, Punjabi, and English, and who are big Babymetal fans btw

I think they call their tour Nine Inch Naan

1 Like

Wow those guys are badass.

@Wombat-metal I like their music and dance, but the add on of a rap guy makes me cringe,

1 Like
1 Like

I am loving my new favourite band “Riverside”
This is a great song :+1::sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

https://youtu.be/EOv_OrJRMh4

1 Like

I have been listening to “Riverside” for quite a while. Their bassist [Mariusz Duda] is one of the main reasons I started thinking of the bass as a sort of chordal instrument. The song “Wasteland” highlights a lot of chord playing and honestly, I did not know that a bass could do that so cleanly.

1 Like

Have you seen Josh’s video on bass chords? In addition to being informative, it’s Noob Josh’s first video:

3 Likes

Yes, but what he was doing during that one song was like a light bulb moment for me. It was so clean with no mud and he was playing it much like a rhythm guitar and propelling the song forward. Lemmy did much the same but not in a pretty, melodic way.

1 Like

Love the light bulb moments! I also just like sharing videos with Noob Josh in them. :grin:

2 Likes