What are you struggling with?

I completely agree. It is scary to get outside of your comfort zone, especially to video yourself struggling for few seconds, upload it to YouTube, and post it. But, nothing is free, and if I really want my answer I should man-up and bear it all to get my answer!

5 Likes

Honestly - after you’ve done it it’s not scary at all anymore in my experience.
Everyone here is so nice, understanding and uplifting that for me it always was a positive experience.

I still recommend it but I just want to state again that this is a complex topic and you probably won’t get a “do it like this” answer, but rather: “you might want to correct this detail… or try out that… here is a hand shape style and here is another and they both work and you have to figure it out yourself to a certain degree.” - just wanted to make sure I did not push the expectations too high on the answer :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ha! Ain’t that the truth! I have learned not to take anything for granted since I started this journey. When I started this course I was concerned that my plucking hand was going to give me problems since I am a lefty. 8 months later, my right hand does things just fine as if they came naturally, and my dominant hand struggles mightily. So, no, I have dropped my expectations and and take everything with an open mind now.

5 Likes

a lot of tone testing recently …

3 Likes

You got to much time on your hands @terb,
Looks like a lot of squiggly lines to me​:joy: :rofl: :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

not really :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I need to do more color coding of my tracks and organizing items into subtracks like that. It’s easy but I’m lazy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

pretty straighforward with Reaper !

5 Likes

Yep track management is super easy.

6 Likes

Timing. I am brand new to bass so I am just practicing hitting the right notes, but in the back of my mind I am well aware the my timing is off. I can’t wait to finish your course and be a bass badass!

7 Likes

I’m struggling with this little yellow s*it right now :

trying to find a useable tone for my next cover … at this point I don’t recommend the ODB-3 at all.

5 Likes

Thats too bad. It sounds promising in videos. Sucks that it isn’t.

3 Likes

it’s hard to describe, it sounds like a very agressive wave stacked over the original bass tone, I even wouldn’t call this an overdrive. it sounds like two tones at the same time, not an overdriven tone.

also the pots are very “on-off”, not progressive at all. very disapointing pedal IMHO.

5 Likes

ugh, kind of sounds like my feelings about the Ampeg scrambler. It’s like this added dirt that has little to do with the input tone; not an overdrive at all.

5 Likes

What about the Bass Driver BB-1X? Or the Boss JHS JB-2ANGRY Driver, compilation with JHS pedals?

1 Like

Kind of how I felt about the Agiular AGRO pedal, it was supposed to be a distortion, and it was more a medium gain OD pedal, and not a really good one IMO

2 Likes

I’m not really searching for an OD, in fact, I’m more using my covers as a pretext to do some tests :slight_smile: I could simply plug my good’ol modded BDI21 or my Bass Floor POD for that Ampeg SVT-CL drive :metal::grin:

anyway my next OD pedals will very probably be Darkglass clones.

the JB-2 looks too complicated and the BB-1X looks too expensive to me.

also I’ve been told that the Fulltone OCD works pretty well with a bass, might investigate.

2 Likes

I was thinking about that VMT kit again the other day.

2 Likes

Im struggling if i play another bass with no humbucker pickup my playability is decreasing i already got used on humbucker pickup as a resting thumb finger, only have 1 bass, and im used to pluck the near the bridge strings.

5 Likes

I started with basses with Neck Pick Ups
P/J on my GSR200 was my start.
My SR300, SR400, LTD B-4E, and Yamaha RBX170, all had / have neck pick ups.
Then
I got a Sringray Ray4, with no neck pick up.
I started playing that all the time, and I just found a way.
Without really trying, or putting any effort into,…the Ray4 just became my number one go to. This bass calls to me, I can’t explain it any other way.
But
Withoug the neck pick up, I had to adapt, which I did without too much thought.
Sometimes I rest on the neck side of the bridge pick up, or even just on the pickguard at places, IDK why, but it never bothered me, it just naturally happened.
NOW
I got a Ray4HH, and I ding the neck pick up to be a little annoying.
I do not mind the neck pick uyp on my LTD B-4E at all, it is fine, or on the SR400 either, or any ohther bass I have played for that matter, but on my Ray4HH, it bugs me. I also can’t explain why.

Maybe time and practice will help you get thru it

4 Likes