What are you struggling with?

Thanks for the advice, my brother think the same way :smiley:

3 Likes

Does anyone know why when i slap on 8 to 10th E-String fret board it makes buzz sound? and my 10th/D fretboard octave on E-string is sound different? Thank you :smiley:

3 Likes

as far as 8th-10th fret on E string, you might need to do a SET UP on your bass, or adjust the ACTION

The other part, I am not 100% sure what you are asking.
But same thing you might need to do a set up.

If you don’t know how, watch this video

3 Likes

Ooh i already setup the bridge action, maybe mine is a bit high. :smiley:

3 Likes

If you are getting buzz, you might need to raise it a little bit until the buzz goes away.
I always do my own set ups, but as I play them, I find areas where I need to make more adjustments, so it would be common for you to need to make small tweaks.

3 Likes

Thank you, ill do it. :smiley:

2 Likes

did anyone else have issues getting their fingers parallel to the frets on the first four frets…without tucking my hand under I end up with my fingers about 45 degrees when I’d like to straight up and down

6 Likes

I think this is actually natural. I wouldn’t fight it.

This does a pretty good job explaining:

3 Likes

thanks…exactly what I was looking for!!

6 Likes

You can also adjust the position of your instrument while playing in the lower register. I adjust where the bass is compared to what my comfortable neutral position is when in 1st position, my 2nd position is neutral, but once I go above the 12th fret, I make another position adjustment, this minimizes the adjustments I need to make to my wrist, to keep it as neutral as possible, and eliminate teh extreme angles i would otherwise need to use. way up on the 18-24 frets of course, I still need to have an extreme arm / wrist angle, but it lessens the more I move the whole instrument.

It is kind of like try to keep the instrument such that the part of the neck you are playing on is at the neutral position.

3 Likes

thank you

4 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m now in the module 7 and I face a problem while playing Thunderstruck at the end of the module 6. Not the bassline is hard, but once coming in the fast workout I started to struggle to keep the rythm. I still counting 1 and 2 and 3 and… but at fast speed I cannot count as fast as the rythmic… Si I tried to keep the rythm and count 1 … 2 … 3 but I strated to not play the “and”…

So my question is: Is there a special training I can do to learn to keep the rythm, playing 8 notes while counting only 1, 2 ,3,4 and not 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and?

I hope my problem is understanable, I struggle a little more writing english than understand it…

Thanks

3 Likes

Yes, there is special training, and you can start with this website.
Norm Weinberg’s Web Rhythms
It is very thourough, and it is complicated, but be sure to read the material very thouroughly, and do the practice he has. Do not expect to get thru them fast, because, like @JoshFossgreen, he has different speeds to the workout, but these get really fast.
There is a reason for this, they are aimed towards drummers, but the content is universal.
if you can’t do the slow ones at first, do not fret, it is difficult, but it is difficult to train yourself to be rhythmic.

This website was given to me, by Josh, and he has used it to train me, and although I am not the best, and I can not do all the exercises complete thru all the tempos that are provided for practice, I improved greatly in a short time by following the lessons in this website.

some of the first two lessons are / were covered in B2B, depending how far you are in the lessons (I know you said 7, but I don’t recall where exactly these lessons on this site line up with B2B) and will be review for you, but I would suggest you just start from the beginning and be very thorough with it.

ask any questions, and even tag Josh if you need something explained that I, or others can’t answer.

This is the site, enjoy, it is an eye opener, and hard, but very good, useful and important to your development as a bass player / musician

This is ALWAYS open in one of my tabs on my browser, and stored in my favorites in case it ever gets closed.

This is NOT the only tool available, and you can also benefit from other sites, apps, tools to improve timing, but this is a great site to use as a reference for the others you find.

4 Likes

Thank you a lot @T_dub! I’ll check that, I’m jkust wondering if I have to start train on that specifically now or if I should first finish the B2B courses and start focusing on it after… Maybe is better to finish the B2B first in order to have a great overview of what playing bass is?

3 Likes

I don’t think it will hurt to do a little of both.
Not that you should dive 100% into this, but if you incorporate a little bit into your practice routine, it should be helpful. Like if your read thru the lessoon, and spend maybe 10 minutes on it on the days you practice. Then when you feel confident in that lesson, you could read the next lesson and spend 10 or 15 minutes on it when you practice until you feel comfortable enough to move on.
You should do what you are most comfortable with, but I don’t think it will take away from what you are learning in B2B, I think it could actually help, as long as its not overwhelming, which is why I would suggest spending just a little time per practice session on it, and not moving forward until you feel comfortable.

3 Likes

one of my KRK VXT8 studio monitors just don’t power up today … it’s not the fuse, not the wall plug, not the power cable … I expect this to be not funny at all …

:scream:

4 Likes

Oh man. Those look nice. Hopefully fixable!

3 Likes

yeah I’ll look at its guts tonight … :sweat:

5 Likes

I really should get some decent powered monitors someday. They would be much more useful for me than a bass amp (and I could actually use them in my apartment without annoying the neighbors).

3 Likes

I just checked out that site and yes, it’s some pretty good stuff, but obviously geared toward percussionists. The exercises are somewhat similar to the reading exercises I do on the Sight Reading Course on TalkingBass, except they don’t have the variation of different notes in addition to the rests, etc.
The thing that makes the Sight Reading Course exercises so much more challenging is the fact that in addition to paying attention to the rhythm and rests, you also have to play the correct notes.
But, Norm Weinberg’s Web Rhythms is free, so it’s a good place to start.

2 Likes