What are you struggling with?

Your transition to the A string is good - it’s the dread finger to pinky move.

The place where I’d offer an alternative fingering option is the last three notes.
I would play everything as you described, but I would play the second to last note - the D on the 5th fret of the A string - with my index finger and the B - the last note, 7th fret E string - with my ring finger.
I don’t want to have to move my pinky across the strings to get my next note, and I’ll be able to play this more comfortably, quickly and cleanly if I end with the ring so I can start with the pinky.

6 Likes

I tried it both ways, @JustTim ’s way first, and @Gio ’s way 2nd.

My fingers want tto play it the first way, but when I actively make myself play them the 2nd way, and get going, it does make alot more sense, and is a great pointer from Gio, as they all are.
Thanks for that bit, I learned a bit from it.

Also
I played it with the 3rd note (6th fret on D and 6th note on E) with my ring finger backed by my middle finger.
On the 3rd note (6th on D) it was easy to move my ring finger right to the 7th fred on A, using the index on the 5th fret on A, and then move my ring finger, backed by my middle finger to the 7th on E.

NOTE: it changes where @gio said to play everything up to the 5th note the way you said, because it changes the 3rd note to be backed by the middle finger, and the 4th note to be played by the ring finger alone, but you could leave it with the pinky playing the 4th note, but moving to the index finger on the 5th note changes everything, and easily allows you to progressively speed up to song tempo

If that confuses you too much, or is just not comfortable for you, forget about it.

I have been trying to play alot more with backing fingers, in alot of the rock and metal, thrash / punk songs I play, there are lots of string bends, and the extra finger(s) help me.

I think it was @JoshFossgreen ’s most recent Bass Buzz video, about how to play like Geezer Buttler (one of my bass hero’s, and I do play a bit of black sabbath covers) where he did cover ding this, especially around the semi and full tone bends that Geezer does alot in his songs, especially the N.I.B. Solo.

If you have not watched that one @JustTim, I recommend it, it is easy o find on this forum, or on youtube, as it is the most recent Bass Buzz release on Youtube.

Also, when I said early, if it is just not comfortable for you to play the Rush song like that, yeah, skip it, but do note that, at first (at least to me) fretting notes with 2 fingers (one backing the other) never felt comfortable or natural to me at the beginning either, so it does take some work, and practice, until at some point, like everything else, you start to get a feel for it, and know when to and not to do it.

4 Likes

I find myself doing that a lot too. It’s not a pinky strength thing with me, I can fret notes fine with it, it’s more of a coordination thing. My ring finger is just more coordinated than my pinky for some reason, and kind of guides it.

I should do more pinky drills I guess. Or not, I am actually pretty happy with the current technique.

4 Likes

IN terms of pinky drills, Mark Smith had a great video a few weeks ago:

I’ve included this in my daily warm-up routine, and it helps a lot, when you learn it fast in the position he teaches it in, and then you move it around the fretboard. I’ll take this little exercise, select a root to start on, and then do it for 2 minutes straight, trying to get it as perfect as possible… My pinky fretting has really improved.

5 Likes

Yeah I do that one too, bonus that it is such a nice little line.

4 Likes

Absolutely. It sounds a little Bach-ish. I wonder if he used a classical motif as an inspiration.

3 Likes

This is something I try to do for many riffs I play. First learn them, and know the notes, tempo, proper ring outs or rests, etc…
Then look to see-if I can find easier ways (for me) that are either more comfortable, or more efficient movements, allowing you to play faster, and get back from one point to the next quicker to keep the rhythm

I play Iron man
The place where is changes from
———-=—- with the equal sign, is where the riff starts over.

G——————————————=—-——
D——————545454—————=———-
A—5-57-7——————5—5—77-=—–5—
E-7——————————————-=–7——

—3–1-1-4-4—-212121—2–2—44–=-3-1

The last line is my fingers,
1 - index
2 - middle
3 - ring
4 - pinky

I can play it without my pinky, or with my pinky and not my ring finger, BUT
I found that by playing the 3rd and 4th note with my pinky, while I play the 3rd, followed by the 4th, with slight ring out,
If I use my pinky on that 7th fret on A, I can stretch my hand / fingers and place my 2nd finger on the 5th fret of the D string, even my first finger on the 4th fret of D at the same time, so that I don’t have to stop the 4th note to early (making noticeable, audible, slop in my playing) and get into the faster 545454 on D string without losing the ringing out 4th note, and easily cross string to A (5th fret) with my middle finger to finish the roll and play the 2 notes on that D, and final two notes on E (7th fret) with my pinky.
again, making it easy to use my ring finger to restart the whole riff, on the B (7ty fret on E).
It is not that hard to just roll the pinky from A to E string 7th fr3t with the pinky, but I like the controls I get when starting with the ring finger on the B

Kind of like if you play Billie Jean with a pinky roll, or with pinky on first note and ring finger on 2nd note.
I can do either or, and you can in this riff too, but its what is most comfortable to you.
PLUS,
Right after I finish the last note in the 545454
————5
You naturally use the same finger that was playing the 5th fret on the D string, for the next note, the 5th fret on the A string.
Then by using your pinky on the 7th fret of the A string for the final two notes, it is really easy, quick, and you don’t play with obvious and audible slop, if you use your ring finger to start it all over again on the 7th fret of the E string.

As I have been listening to and learning alot of Geezer, the video Josh made on him is great, because he does definatlyl have a certain style, and plays alot of the same noets, and same areas on the neck for most of his playing, but he is masterful that he can get that many sounds, and create so many riffs, that are just EPIC, and stays within his “Geezer” spot on the neck often with the same pentatonic scale (I want to say E minor, but I will have to watch the video again, I am probably wrong”)

Actually, I recall Mark from Talkingbass.net, say that song is in B minor (again, could be wrong, but it does start on a B)
And Mark played an example of it, playing in a completely different position on the neck.
He played it in first position (frets 1 thru 5) starting with his index finger on the B (2nd fret on A string) to his pinky on the D (5th fret on A string) jumping to D string with index on the E (2nd fret on D string), then. Does the G A# G A# G A# ( 5th and 4th frets on D, same frets and string as in my example, but he played them with pinky and ring finger instead of index and middle like I showed), then switches to the A string with his pinky to play the D (5th fret on A), and crosses back to the D string for the two final E notes on the 2nd fret with his index finger.
That ends the riff, and repeats with the B on the A string, so he makes the switch from 2nd fret D to 2nd Fret A with his Index (which in reality, is not difficult)
Then repeats the riff with the index starting back on the B (2nd fret of A string) and continues to play it that way.

Now, I don’t see anything wrong with playing it that way, with the exception, it is much harder for me an dmy pinky and ring finger to play the G A# G A# quick enough, AND to jump back to the A string with my pinky, and play it clean with no audible slop.

I suppose it is good practice so I do play it that way at times, just to work on my finger strength and dexterity.

However, after learning the rest of the song, and also many to most of Geezers songs, h rarely played riffs in that part of the neck. Sure he played chorus and fills working up the neck on the A, D and G strings in many songs, but not any riffs from what I-have found.

This new Geezer Bass Buzz video Josh did, kind of supports this as well.

Now, I know you can play riffs in many places on the neck, and some of it will be based on how you learned to play it, or what you find most comfortable, and / or even how the rest of the song is played, and if you need to play riffs in certain spots on the neck, with certain fingerings, in order to move from one riff to the next, or from a riff to a chorus, fill, or 2nd riff or 2d chorus, etc…

IronMan is a good song to use as an example, because it has many parts and changes (but not too many like N.I.B. And other songs) and it is not quite as simple as Paranoid, which plays a riff, repeated for most of the song (with various fills and finger rolls he works into the riff).

I believe the reason that Mark played it that way, was because it was in a lesson (and he was staying in first position on the neck - frets 1-5), and was showing it as an example for. A riff based around the Key or Scale he was demonstrating in the lesson)
I don’t think that would be the way he would play it, if he were covering it live with a band???
But IDK.
Do you have any thoughts on that @gio or @JoshFossgreen , and / or any tips, corrections, or things to add to this post.
Anything you have to say will, as always, be greatly appreciated.
Anybody else with things to say or suggest, of course, feel free to chime in.
I think I got all the notes and string / frets correct, going from memory, but if there are mistakes, feel free to correct them

And if you have not (note to everybody)
Watch the Bass Buzz Geezer Buttler video, the most recent one, it is awesome.

4 Likes

I love YouTube for watching what other bassists do.
Geezer plays it from the 7th fret of the E to the 5th of the A and on from there.
I think you can catch a glimpse of it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ILgcydjnk

The cameras tend to just show Ozzy.
Some serious BPD (Bass Player Discrimination) going on in Sabbath live videos. Alas.

Turning a riff into a fingering exercise is always great.
Finding different ways to play a riff is great.
Trying to learn the way the original was played to cop the tone (position on the fretboard has so much to do with what a part sounds like) is also great.

When bass teachers (self included) teach things, we’ll often wrangle a riff into a more teachable fingering form in order to illustrate real world applications of a scale or pattern… even if that fingering form is not the best/easiest/real-world way to play the riff.
It can help to give context to abstract scales.

Iron Man is indeed in B minor.
The traditional scale form of B minor can be used to play the riff (and exercise that pinky to ring finger deal) - but it’s not how any metal head would play it on a stage.

8 Likes

Thank you @Gio that’s really helpful.

2 Likes

:joy: - this is at pandemic proportions across the board!

3 Likes

Yeah, thats the way I wrote it out.

My question about how Mark at talking bass played it, was more asking if you (if you have seen the video or not). Was. Because it was in his scales course, and it while he was focusing on scales played in first position of the neck (frets 1-5)

Before watching Geezer and working it out the way I played it, I had a much harder time playing it, especially the G A# G A# G A# to D on A srtimg with my pinky and ring finger, then go back up to the E at 2nd frett of D.

So my trick was ro set me up so I play those notes (still on 5th and 4th frets, but coming down to them from 7th and 5th frets.

This let me do that quick roll of the two notes with my middle and index finfer, and after the D at 5th on A, I ponky to 7th on A.

Lastly, I just found I could let all the notes play fill duration if I restarted the riff with my rinf finger on the B (7th on E) instead of citting the E short, having to move my ring finger over.
Sure, practice can get the pinky roll to play notes to full duration, but this has been working for me.

Are you saying most metal heads would not do that?

Are you saying they jusr pinky roll from 7th on A to 7th on E?
or do you have an alternate way to play that riff, that could offer me a better perspecrive, and something else to tey.

Personally, to me, that riff is the most boring, and my least part of the song. but I love playing the jamming parts of that somg and can repeat theu several riffs and even his little solo, and play it theu 10-15 min at a time.

To me, the NON IRONMAN riff parts of that somg, are the meat ans
D potatoes, and it gets me so pumped playing all the rest of that song, that I must play 20 plus min of just that section, repeating without the main riff, daily, sometimes several rimes a day, or even longer. It is just so Geezer, and so freaking sick.

I love playing other sabbath, but the middle sections of Iron man, TEAR THE WORLD A NEW A HOLE EVERYTHIM i play or hear it.

But if you have specific tips, or fingerings to try, that I may find I am not using, It would be awesome if you can share some.

1 Like

Oh yeah, what else am i struggling with. A freaking computer. My mom said she was bringing me one of my aunts old ones, probably about 6 years old.

Perfect

I thought

Til she shows up with a white Imac, probably 2008.

I can connect to my wifi, but I cant find a browser that will work with that old of a computer / OS, that I cant even get on bass buzz forum.

Anybody know of any ways to update a browser on a mac that old (Imac) so I can at least surf the web?

I am gonna just get that late 2014 Mac Mini for $159.

I would hav3 gotten it already, but I just realized the seller that sold me the Damaged Peavey Cirrus, never refnded me.

Should have been refunded by the 12th, but they did not. And lovely Ebay closed he transaction after it was not resolvd.

Fortunately I paid thru paypal, and they are good at getting your money back.

I am gonna get the mac mini, but only after I get my $450 back from this stupid seller.

I had messages from ebay. Return accepted, seller a
Proved return.

Then they gave me a shipping llabel. I used it. Got the message from ebay the seller received it, and I would get issued a refund within 3 days.

That was like 8-10 days ago, and I contacted 5he seller 2 rimes.

But paypal joined the fight, so, hoprfully.

Cuz I am REALLY STRUGGLIMG WITHOUT A REAL COMPUTER THAT i can get my set up back and going.

I have not even been playing as much bass as normal cuz without a computer, and how I was comfortable setting it up. Its just not been as rewarding.

Sorry fot the rant, I know this is not the normal type of struggle, but it really has been a huge struggle for me.

And living off minimal savings, and no income at all since last October, I cant just make a few internet clicks, and have what I need / want at my doorstep anymore.

I have to be careful what I spend on, and not get burned on a broken off headstock on a bass, that was so nice, and bought so cheap, I planned to turn it for $300-$400 after cleaning it up and setting it up and getting it sounding good, that I would have made enuf for a 2014 Imac, and been back in business.

Again, sorry for the rant, but this has been my last two weeks, and escalated to this fight for my money back in the past 24 hours, I just had to get it off my chest.

Its been weighing me down huge, on top tip of all my other legal crap. That I have actually broken down a few times rhis week.

I just want my money returned, iwill save $250 of it, and ise $160 to get my late 2014 mac mini, and then I can start to live again.

It has seriously been like I am not living my normal life right now, all cuz of computer breaking, and not having a way to get it back.

Thats what I am struggling with, BIG TIME.

HOPEFULLY THERE IS A LIGHT AT THE END OF TJE TUNNEL, AND I will be back before too long.

Hopefully, I am remaininh positive and hopeful, as hard as it can be at times.

4 Likes

Everyone here is pushing for you, Toby. Hang in there, something good will come out of all this.

3 Likes

Tthanks y friend. I know O goy lots of support here, why I feel safe enf to open up about it.
Plis, when things go good and turn around, it makes for great content for another post :wink:

4 Likes

Hang in there, man. One thing at a time. Basses and computers and other stuff can come after the big stuff gets sorted. It will all still be there.

3 Likes

My performance fingering would be simandl fingering -

7th fret E with ring/pinky
5th fret A with index
7th fret A with ring/pinky
position shift up the A for 10th and 9th fret of A with middle and index
then back.

That feels the greasiest, is most comfortable for my hand, and follows the way that Iommi moves up the neck for that little back and forth part.

Your solutions is great.
The only thing it misses is that shift up with the guitar, but that is not important! Rocking out and tearing the world new holes is the goal here.
If you can do that and not hit wrong notes, you’re doing a perfect job.

3 Likes

I have a couple of issues:

1. Finding uninterrupted chunks of time to practice
  2. Trying to decide which fingering system to use so I don’t need to consciously think about which finger to utilize. I go back and forth between 1 per fret and simandl and can do both, but the problem is when sightreading, my fingers have dual muscle memory that gets them all tangled up.
  3. string crossing/moveable anchor
  4. Still trying to “internalize” bass clef after a year. Having spent a lifetime reading treble clef, my brain is still “translating” or transposing note instead of “thinking in bass clef” if that makes sense.
2 Likes

My $0.02

1. steal time, early or late, even 15 minutes is better than -0 minutes.
  2. both, practice both specifically, but, when playing a song, use what works best, there are no hard and fast rules. Over time you won’t have to think about it, your fingers will sort it out. This takes TIME, and lots of it. Until then, do what works and systematically practice both. If a song looks like one works better, use that. If a lesson calls out specific fingerings, use it. Grab the Smandl book and use it to practice that method. Bass Fitness book is excellent for 1 per fret work.
  3. comes with time and practice. there are many string crossing exercises, Bass Fitness can also help with that.
  4. I am with you here, I play sax. Mark Smith at talkingbass.net has an excellent site reading course. It not only teaches you the bass clef, but all the notes on the fretboard get internalized, and trains you to not have to look at the fretboard (3 for 1!), also rhythm excercises. some will be too basic for you on the rhythm, but its an excellent course. At the end of it all, you will know every fret on the board by heart and your fingers will start moving to the fret when you see the note.

Most of what you are struggling with you SHOULD be struggling with, you are learning, so be proud you have come far enough to see what things you need to work on. This is the most important self-realization one can have when learning an instrument. In the begining, you struggle with everything, pick things out to work on, leave others, whatever you feel is holding you back the most. All I wanted to do when I started is play songs, then I was bummed I couldn’t force myself to memorize all the songs I want to play. Now I focus on the basics and build them and new, harder songs come along for the ride a little at a time.

You will get there, its a marathon.

3 Likes

@John_E

Wise words

2 Likes

@John_E gave some good advice, only thing I will add is to double down on playing every day, even if it’s for a short time.

A lot of the things you’re struggling with will come naturally if you play a bit daily. That’s how I beat Billie Jean

2 Likes