What are you struggling with?

Those string choices seem like they would generate two very different sounds. Aren’t the DR’s brighter than the chromes?

1 Like

DR Lo Riders are what Sting uses, so that kind of vibe. Warm, with mid range.

D’Addario Chrome Flats are supposed to be mellow with a dark tone, but I bought the ECB84 because of their tension. And most flats are stainless steel, so I don’t expect chrome flats to be exceptionally bright

I do hope to have two different sounds. One set will go on my Squire 50s P with the Fralin, the other will go on the FGN. The Fralin P is very close to what Sting plays, except he has a Stinger as a pickup. I am really pleased with my Stinger’s sound so not going to change it out.

So 50s P - Lo Riders?
FGN - Chrome Flats?

1 Like

For some reason I had it in my head that lo riders were bright because they are stainless on hex core and known for good slap tone. Haven’t tried DRs yet, but already thought I would try the Sunbeams first. Just listened to sound sample on their website and it does sound warm like you said. I may try a set on my Sandberg, the oems that came on mine sound a little dark to me.

2 Likes

I’ve got D’A Chromes on my P at the moment. They’re not thuddy, which was a pleasant surprise. But the Cutlass has great resonance unplugged, so I believe it and its hot pup are producing the ultimate sound.

1 Like

Here are three things I’m struggling with:

1. Hearing the changes from D Dorian to Eb Dorian for “So What”. I’ve tried counting, but that takes away from just playing. I do nail the intro, though.
  2. Hearing the changes in “Straight, No Chaser” and trying not to play sloppy to keep up with the tempo.
  3. Trying to play something other than just roots and fifths for “Oleo”.

BUT, here is one thing I’ve been doing very well: playing Catherine Russell’s version of “Alone Together”.

2 Likes

I have them on my PJ, they’re pretty bright. When they were new, they sounded similar to the old round wound that I took off :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree. I like how they sound.

2 Likes

It’s only a semitone different so it can be tough to hear… you just need to listen to the song a few dozen or hundred more times more until you just feel it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t play it much now, I have a pbass with well used round wound strings that sounds great :slight_smile: I was going to put Jameson flats on the Pbass but they’re expensive and I’m enjoying the round wounds.

1 Like

I heard that. I’m swapping out the D’A Chrome flats on mine with DR HI-BEAMS.

1 Like

happily I’m not one of those people who chases tones on anything :slight_smile: strings, amps, plugins, pedals… I don’t care, I can find something I like. The only thing I’ve ever had that wasn’t quite the sound I was looking for was that my TRBX174 PJ bass didn’t sound enough like a “real” precision bass :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can play some higher-difficulty level songs and pretty pleased I could play some on the first pass with a few small errors. But do you think I can get through Bad Moon Rising without a mistake?!

3 Likes

I am struggling with moving on from bass. I originally wanted to learn guitar, but found it too difficult having zero musical background. After playing bass for a year and a half I feel like I’m ready to do what I originally wanted to, carrying over my timing, ear, and music theory I have so far. I’m at a place where I’m not sure if I truly love the bass more, or if I’m trying to convince myself because I’m more familiar with it. I’ve resumed my full fledged guitar course.

4 Likes

Bass and guitar are similar in many respects, not the least of which being that they share the standard EADG tuning of the guitar’s largest strings. Of course, the guitar lends itself to playing chords and melody lines much more than a bass.

Having played rhythm and fingerstyle guitar for decades, I apply many guitar techniques to bass playing. But each definitely has its distinct techniques, ergonomics and approaches to playing.

But keep in mind that playing guitar and bass are not mutually exclusive in any way. So play what moves you. If guitar is calling you, act on that. Both are great and both have their place.

4 Likes

Totally! To which I would add that I think you will find your guitar playing will improve your bass playing. Guitar requires more precision, speed and strength than bass does in my experience, and will build dexterity and strength quickly that translated to better bass playing.

Meanwhile, your bass skills, especially if you have been picking, will translate very well to playing guitar lead lines. I think you will find most beginner level lead lines quite easy.

And reach. Beginner guitarists have a lot of trouble with the reach on, say, the C Major open chord. You have already conquered that and can make reaches like that on the regular.

All in all you now have a huge head start on guitar.

5 Likes

A properly set up guitar with good action should be a breeze to play.

Newer players experience some hand cramps from learning chords, but that goes away with time and practice.

So hand strength and acclimating to new hand demands are generally mostly needed when learning to play, as is the case with bass.

3 Likes

Yep. Much like the finger pain, once the new muscle usage becomes accustomed, things get much better.

Things like barring frets are kind of unaccustomed hand usage that require strength in ways bass won’t have helped with. But just like bass took some getting used to, so does guitar, and it isn’t bad, just different.

3 Likes

I was playing barre chords on bass, so getting the F chord going on guitar feels like I’m not even using pressure. I think the biggest help so far has been knowing how to practice and how to listen

2 Likes

:100:

Ok now that’s macho

2 Likes