Syncopation module is really giving me trouble.
I’m taking it very slow, because that’s the only thing that is working for me, and I really want to wrap my head fully around this. I get why it’s cool,
Slowing down is always the key. Slow down until you can get it down cold. Then you can speed it up a tiny bit, as long as you can still nail it. Rinse and repeat.
“Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You must learn to be slow in a hurry.”
― Wyatt Earp
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
LMAO oh no, just tested positive for COVID again. Greeeeaaaaat.
I hope you feel better soon, Howard.
Hi Kevin,
Welcome to the low end!
I am fairly new too. I finished B2B in 2023 and started taking video lessons with another teacher later that year, Ryan Madora, who has taught me a ton!
One of the first steps I took with her was to lose the fret wrap. That move actually improved my technique all around. I could hear what I was fretting better without it. I have never put it back on.
Just my .02
Hi Laurie012! Thanks for the welcome. Long story short, I use a pick. How do I mute the A-string when playing an A note on the G-string? Or the E-string when playing an E note on the D-string? I’ve tried using the side of my right hand but then I am picking too close to the bridge to get a nice warm thump!
I would do this with my left hand. While fretting the A on the G, let your finger rest across the A string. Or just let that one ring out as it’s the same exact note (not just pitch) and might sound cool.
This one would be the side of my picking hand. And yes you would absolutely want to mute this one.
So move your hand ![]()
Or pick close to the bridge. That’s actually a great and classic sound too.
All of this becomes instinctive and natural over time.
I will defer to the pick users on this one. I haven’t even attempted using a pick….still struggling with my fingers!
Still the first thing that comes to my mind when I read the title of this thread ![]()
But luckily, there’s playing bass ![]()
Damn!
Do you have any symptoms? I guess, since you got yourself tested… or is this something you are required to do regularly?
Hope it’s not giving you too much “trouble”!!
sucks man. stay healthy
What I tend to do is use the finger tip of my fretting hand to mute the lower string.
For the E string, you can also try if it works for you to get your thumb around to stop the E string from ringing.
For some riffs, I try to use the palm of my right hand to mute the lower strings.
I don’t think much about how I use the palm of my hand, so right now I couldn’t really say how I do it exactly.
Though I have to say I tend to be kind of a sloppy player.
Yeah I feel super shitty ![]()
Nothing nearly as bad as last time though.

Well, I practiced today, no pick, fingers, and it went pretty darn good.
Not perfect, but a LOT better.
Neck is progressing with about 45 min of PT at home every day.
Getting a second epidural tomorrow to extend the inflamation reduction / healing time to see, but I am hopeful.
Great news John!
The day I picked up my Dingwall, I was working out of town, I picked it up about 3 pm, felt a little bit off. got to my hotel about 430, went to the Outback Steak house next door right after, ate dinner, started feeling poorly about the time I paid my check. Walked back to the room and tested since I had a test in my suitcase. Positive! I didn’t even touch my Dingwall on the other bed! I had to call my customer for the next day and cancel and drive 2 hours home feeling like doo doo. It was my third time and it wasn’t more than a medium cold, but that green D-Rock 5, I associate with Covid!
ugh sorry man ![]()
I’m still having lingering stuff, hope this one doesn’t go Long Covid.