Sorry to hear you guys are sick with that crud. I hope you feel better soon.
Ooooh THANKYOU!!!
I’ve been struggling with muting. Yesterday I replaced my Glarry with a Yamaha and suddenly I don’t have this problem anymore. Sure, muting is still a thing, but all the weird overtones I was constantly trying to chase away with muting just aren’t there any more.
Man, I’ve been missing out and struggling on dumb shit that doesn’t exist on a proper instrument.
Life is hard when you’re hardheaded
I have exactly the opposite situation with my Sire U5: I need to mute more, as the strings are happily ringing much more than on any bass I played before!
Good to know that really is a thing with different basses!
It’s important to never listen to anything I say!
In my case I think it’s due to gain levels. With the Glarry I had the gain and the amp cranked to get a decent sound out of it. With the Yamaha I ended up rolling a lot of the knobs off. It’s just stronger.
I think having the gain cranked was just amplifying any odd ringing strings making them way more of an issue than they really were.
I’d watched people perform songs live and they clearly weren’t muting the string in question while I was struggling.
Man, I’ve been missing out and struggling on dumb shit that doesn’t exist on a proper instrument.
As my dear old father used to say to me all the time:
“Advice is free, experience has to be paid for”
I spent my first year on a bass which had horrible neck dive. I didn’t know that until I bought a Fender P bass and realized how much I’d been struggling.
We’re all ignorant about most things with a very narrow window of competence in some areas.
I think the Yamaha stuff is along with Sire probably the best bang for your buck.
Now get practicing ![]()
Hope your feeling better, I was lucky all 3 times I had the vid. When it was done, it was done!
I’m about half way through and have been consistent with lessons. I often will play tabs (badly) on a song I enjoy to keep my bass in my hand but I feel like I’m falling behind. Should I be re-doing lessons? I want to keep going but string jumping and muting are really slowing me down right now.
It’s important not to reinforce bad habits. Playing sloppy and with poor muting isn’t something you want to get in the habit of doing. I’d suggest slowing down until you can really work the technique into your fingers! I know it’s frustrating to feel like you’re not making progress but setting up a good foundation will help you big time!
note to self NOT to noodle before every practice session. what im playing doesn’t even make any musical sense, and isn’t really getting me anywhere. and practice more with a metronome too
note to self NOT to noodle before every practice session. what im playing doesn’t even make any musical sense, and isn’t really getting me anywhere. and practice more with a metronome too
If I could offer some advice, learn some scales, even if it’s just the major and pentatonic, then noodle around in scales. Then noodling will get you somewhere.
note to self NOT to noodle before every practice session. what im playing doesn’t even make any musical sense, and isn’t really getting me anywhere. and practice more with a metronome too
Noodling is playing bass, so that’s ok in my book because all those minutes eventually turn into hours with a bass in your hand.
However noodling with a drum track ![]()
Timing is The Thing.
Noodling is all I do these days.
noodling with a drum track
Timing is The Thing.
This ^^^ ![]()
I know the major, minor, and major pentatonic shapes. Which admittedly, I don’t practice much. Practicing them to a drum track sounds good though.
By noodling I mean playing random garbage with no proper technique and theory in mind “junk noodles” I like to call them. xD
Taking all the advice here however, I think changing the way I noodle can make it into something beneficial instead of an annoyance. ![]()
I mean play the notes in the shapes, randomly, not in order. You know, noodle
By noodling I mean playing random garbage with no proper technique and theory in mind “junk noodles” I like to call them. xD
I love Dan’s courses. You might find some inspiration here @basspersoniglol :
absolutely.
Agree with Barney here, noodling is time spent with the instrument in your hands and that is never a bad thing. I have come up with some pretty neat riffs from my noodling, you never know where the brain will take you.
If you are going to play aimlessly definitely do it to a beat though!