What bass for 8 yr old

My son wants to learn bass. He thinks Josh’s videos are funny and promises not to repeat “badass”. Thinking of getting him a cheaperish shortscale for christmas. Any recommendations?

5 Likes

I just got a Ibanez Mikros (the root beer one) and it’s a smaller bass…it also only cost $179 9n ebay from Muscians friend

6 Likes

Sterling by Music Man Short Scale might be a good option at 30" scale.

StingRay Short Scale - Sterling by Music Man

3 Likes

Both the Ibanez Mikro (highlighted in athosmr2003’s post) and the Squier Precision Mini are 28.5 inch scale – even shorter than 30 inch “short scale” basses – and have small bodies. They are marketed to kids, but have fans among adults, too.

5 Likes

Here is a 9 year old playing a Sterling for reference, and maybe even inspiration for your kid.

EllenPlaysBass - YouTube

4 Likes

Ellen is awesome!

4 Likes

Awesome is an understatement. That little girl has a great future in music if she keeps it up. Seen a lot of young players that are great but this kid seems to have the feel for it. As if it were natural to her.

4 Likes

I second the Mikros. Got mine for $75. She has some bumps and bruises but plays amazingly well. For a kid the slender neck and small body is ideal. The output is also surprising for such a budget friendly option. Tonal variety is wider with the PJ versus the Bronco with a P only.

4 Likes

I kind of want a Mikro for me. They look super fun.

5 Likes

Another vote for the Mikro here. They really are good fun and sound great.

5 Likes

In the same ballpark is the Ibanez Talman short scale 30" bass for $189. I learned on it and it’s awesome for the money.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TMB30BK--ibanez-tmb30-talman-standard-black

6 Likes

I’ve always thought the Talmans were super cool. Neat basses.

3 Likes

The Talmans are very reasonable and they look really cool…it’s on my list but not a priority…but yeah I agree that the Mikro would be great for kids. The neck is nice and thin and it’s not as heavy as a bigger scaled bass. I picked it up vs. the Yamaha at work today and it’s night and day as far as the weight goes

3 Likes

And the nice thing about the Mikros line is that they come in several colors that are all pretty cool looking

2 Likes

Lots of info here too:

2 Likes

I’ve had 2 of them and really liked them both. Pretty good quality for the price.

1 Like

I have that same Talman! A little heavy maybe, but I really like it.

1 Like

I bought a J&D SS Jazz bass a while back. Looks and sounds good and cost at the time $129. Came from Germany. Lightweight, but does have a bit of neck dive. Any lightweight bass will have that issue though.

Jackson minion

1 Like

Get an Ibanez mikro great little Bass

1 Like