What bass lines do you love to play?

I’m talking about unaccompanied, just sit down and play that bass line and you love it every time.

I’m talking about that bass line you keep coming back to just because you love the way it sounds.

This isn’t about technical difficulty (although, it can be) it’s about that song that just feels so good to play.

The one that makes you think, “This is the feeling I was after when I decided to start playing.”

Also, for some of our more experienced players, is there a song you come back to year after year? One you have never gotten tired of playing?

Part of what inspired this question was seeing an interview with Neil Peart where he said he always enjoyed playing Tom Sawyer, even though, he had played it thousands of times.

12 Likes

I really struggle remembering any full bass lines and keeping good time so I tend to play bits of songs that I do remember. The Scorpions “Wind of Change” , Stone Temple Pilots “Plush” , and “ Interstate Love Song “ get regularly ruined but never in their entirety

6 Likes

I really like playing “If I Had $1,000,000” by Barenaked Ladies and “Sea to Sea” by Matisyahu. I tend to warm up playing licks from those two songs.

6 Likes

I love to play the bass line from Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie.

7 Likes

The one I seem to always play when warming up or just am sitting there is Wings Silly Love Songs.
I never tire of playing it.

7 Likes

I enjoy many bass lines, however I normally just noodle, the most soulful-satisfying line for me is Song for my father, it feels like butter on toast

6 Likes

This is truly one of the most satisfying yet simplistic things in the universe.
Amazing how something so basic is so damn good.

5 Likes

I usually put on a drum track on my Zoom and spend my warm up with something simple from Yonit e.g.

5 Likes

A goal of mine is to sit down with the bass and just start playing something like that on the spot made up in my head, if only my head would cooperate.

7 Likes

Iron Man - from the part when Ozzy starts singing “nobody wants him …”

8 Likes

Chic - Good times
Jamiroquai - Runaway

Short riffs, but good for warmup, or when I have no idea what to play :smiley:

7 Likes

The big riff in New Born by Muse after the first minute and a half of build up, its one of my all time favourite songs and when I eventually got that riff down I was over the moon. I keep playing it over and over and get that feeling every time :grin:

5 Likes

Since OP didn’t specify that I have to play it well, I’d say I really enjoy the bass line of “Don’t say lazy” by Sakurakou K-ON Bu, even if I trip all over myself and I’m still working on timing. :rofl:

edit: I swear spellcheck is to blame for “base” instead of “bass” Fixed now.

7 Likes

Nope. The only qualifier is that it still makes feel good every single time.

5 Likes

I didn’t know I would enjoy playing latin style music so much.

While I have heard the music it before and thought it was oK - I played it thru some bass lessons and I found it really fun to play.

5 Likes

I warm up with Gloria and Sweet Child in Time.

4 Likes

Great thread @eric.kiser!!

I always warm up by playing four different songs…. I always play them in order before I begin to work on anything else. All are some of my favorites, but each have different elements that I like to stay fresh on.

“Paint It Black” - Not many notes, but mostly all 8th notes that warms me up fairly quick. I always start my practice sessions with this one. Focus on timing and attack.

“Drift Away” - Slides, slides, and more slides up and down the fretboard. Timing and slides.

“King Of The Road” - Has me up and down the fretboard and plucking tons of notes. Works both my plucking and fretting hands.

“Sweet Home Alabama” - Lets me practice hammer on’s and pull offs.

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

8 Likes

Bob Seger’s Main Street
David Hood of the Muscle Shoals rhythm section delivers a masterclass in taste and laid back timing
Edited to add: this is my go-to warm up and the song I play when feeling frazzled from trying to learn something tricky (Madness - Our House is kicking my butt at the moment). Some people meditate. I play Main Street.

4 Likes

I like to play the “In the Light” bassline by John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin) . . . :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@eric.kiser ,

Excellent Topic

Beatles - Come Together

Cheers

6 Likes