What bass lines do you love to play?

A fairly easy bassline to play that’s really fun, and gets quite a reaction from those who know the song, is HOCUS POCUS, by the band FOCUS.

I’ve also been tinkering around with The Light by Spock’s Beard, which turns out to be a very fun line to play.

4 Likes

great bass line @travis.thepadre.reed ,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

cool bass line, pity there are really no vocals in the song, but cool musical piece just the same, @JustTim
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Hocus Pocus, you mean?

Well.

I mean.

There’s yodeling. :smiley:

3 Likes

thats not vocals :joy:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

I’m kind of boring I guess…

I play The Birthday Song in various jazzed up configurations to make it interesting. I also like to play When the Saints Go Marching In, again experimenting with different ways to jazz it up. It’s Getting Near Dawn is one of my regulars that I play, along with Billie Jean and Money.
Yeah, if our house is ever invaded by robbers, I don’t need to go for my guns, I can just bore them to death with my bass playing.

7 Likes

Just got into playin “Moon Over Bourbon Street” – a song typically played on a double bass. Not particularly hard or fancy – There’s just so much you can do with it because… jazz, I guess. Lots of fun if you want to sing along, too.

10 Likes

This was my trumpet warmup every day, followed by Kiss To Build A Dream On - I was heavily into Louis Armstrong and all things New Orleans when I played trumpet.

5 Likes

I have one of these types too that is a go to warm up…
This was one of those “I must learn this”, and if (I mean when) I add a double bass, this will be the first thing I learn on it.

Its also good for noodling sax over.

7 Likes

“Born Under a Bad Sign” by Albert King. So simple, but I just love playing it. It’s juicy. I get the feels. :yum:

8 Likes

My go to play anytime song, rolling standalone Bass line:

The Ghetto - Donny Hathaway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Npl_oiJQ80

Who Knows - Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYm3dSXKloA

7 Likes

Life’s like a river by the Scorpions :black_heart:
https://youtu.be/lFUjbGMigjQ
If only I was fast enough to play the 8th note triplets in the second part of the song :dizzy_face:

5 Likes

Great album @Krescht ,
I have a few off their early albums on vinyl👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

@PamPurrs , What’s your starting note with Happy Birthday??

Just Curious,
Cheers

2 Likes

@travis.thepadre.reed

C… I play in key of F Major. I also play it in G Major occasionally because I’m told that’s a popular key for that song among bands.

3 Likes

“Africa” by Toto
“Postcard From Jamaica” by Sopwith Camel
and others.

3 Likes

Electric bass = sir Psycho sexy by rhcp and B.L.M by the specials
Double bass = are you there, by Klint. I’m pretty sure it’s electric bass but for some reason I randomly chose it as a workout and it’s stuck ever since. Just fits with my limited skill :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@PamPurrs ,
You So Rock

That is exactly what I was looking for in an answer. Its totally a personal preference, starting with a C works, I also start on a G.

Have A Gr8 Weekend,
Cheers

2 Likes

“I also start on a G” = Key of C Major

There are dozens of ways to play the Birthday Song, but the pattern is pretty much the same:
The first note is always the lowest note in the entire song (5th below the Key Note), the song touches two octaves, and the final note is the Key Note.
Those are absolutes, no matter the key in which you play it.

2 Likes

Not bass, but still interesting and enjoyable

2 Likes