What bass lines do you love to play?

Agreed. I appreciate his input.

1 Like

As for what I’m playing, today it’s anything silversun pickups. Because nikki menninger. Her play is so clean. Such simply basslines with so much rythym built in. Super easy to play, just fun stuff.

1 Like

I believe T_dub’s last posts were in mid-June, in the “Introduce Yourself” and “GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome” topics (per his profile activity).

Still, that is now 2 weeks ago. Hope all is well with him!

4 Likes

With a pick: Tempus Fugit, Vital Signs & The Trees

Finger plucked: Ramble On

(All sound at least decent, but definitely need work)

1 Like

I like playing “September Leaves” , a song from the SBL site used on level two. It is a jazz tune and has some chord changes that tend to be in lot’s of different styles of music and is teaching me a lot about progressions.

1 Like

@EddieJones Do you mean “Autumn Leaves?” Carol Kaye has Standard charts with CD for bass on her website, if you’re interested. 10 standards on each. Further descriptions at the links:

• “Standards 1 CD & Charts – Bass” (this one has “Autumn Leaves” among the others) “Excellent for getting your chord walking-sense together – you won’t find another item like this with the authentic jazz feel.”
  • “Standards II CD & Charts – Bass” “A lot of great walking ideas, bossa ideas, connecting the chords, interpreting charts, 6/8 in-depth practice, faster tempos.”

Edited to add: these would be in musical notation, not tabs, as is everything on the Carol Kaye site.

3 Likes

They probably called it September Leaves to get round copyright :thinking:

Or it’s an exercise on SBL in the style of Autumn Leaves?

2 Likes

No, SBL titles it “September Leaves” and uses it to teach that particular chord sequence. I think it is close to the same

1 Like

It is both I’m sure.

1 Like

Bass lines I love playing change all the time, but one’s I’ve been playing lately:

Huey Lewis - Hip to be Square
The JB’s - Pass the Peas
The Wonders - That Thing You Do (I prefer the movie soundtrack version to Green Day’s version)
Bill Withers - Use Me

1 Like

If you need musical notation AND tab of a song - this is pretty good way to get it: .psarc files.

Psarc files are used by Rocksmith (keep reading! this post isn’t about Rocksmith!) and there are about 50,000 songs available at https://customsforge.com/. Zoom makes software called ToneLib Jam that can read those files - and you’ll be able to see the musical notation and the tab - as well as the backing track - and be able to play along while it scrolls by for you. Or - you can print out a nice .pdf of the tab, notation, or both.

Details are here: ToneLib Jam - Ultimate software for practicing?

Willing to help folks get up and running with finding files or the software - just drop me a line.

2 Likes

“Time Be Tight” By Booker T. “All My Lovin’” I change it up a bit for a more Count Basie style. “My Girl”, “Moondance”, “Mustang Sally”

1 Like

Some great music there daddy-r. I like to play “I’ll take you there” by the Staple Singers, and I eventually want to learn “If I could turn back the hands of time” by Tyrone Davis.

2 Likes

Just discovered them today

Amazing bass lines ! Simple / clean - I love it !

I haven’t been playing long, favorites so far is pretty much anything I can sort of make sound like the original. I’m still not full speed with these, but I’m working my way there…

Pixies “Where is my mind”
The Cure “Fascination Street” (I know its repetitive, but I’ve always loved this song)
Smashmouth “Allstar”

1 Like

Repetitive, driving, effective basslines are the core of post-punk. Nothing wrong with it at all.

3 Likes

I struggle to get through the whole five minutes. There is a tension that builds through the whole song that makes it so hard.

2 Likes

That whole album has subtle stuff like that going on. I love the bassline for Disintegration and that song has the same kind of slow burn thing.

2 Likes

Definitely, at my level I’m lucky to still be playing when the vocals start… :grinning: :grinning:

2 Likes

Stand by me and planet caravan.