What bass lines do you love to play?

Today it’s beggin’ by maneskin because of i learn to play it, Maybe they’ll stop hourly rotation on the local radio station

3 Likes

Well, that and it is a tight little groove

2 Likes

I’m going to pick up Zitti E Buoni by Maneskin one of one of these days. Killer groove.

Today I started Breaking the law. 75% speed, chugged through. Need to build up stamina lol. Only got through it 3 times, very sloppy, need practice and build stamina because this will be tiring at full speed. It’s a workout now.

3 Likes

Im on substitution by silversun pickups. It’s easy, but it’s a timing thing. It’s a little difficult for me.

3 Likes

Cool Runnings by Bunny Wailer, Time is Tight by Booker T and the MGs, and I’ll take you There by the Staple Singers.

4 Likes

How About - In The Ghetto by The King

Cheers

3 Likes

Today I’m playing dont fear the reaper by blue oyster cult. It’s one of my favorites. Easy to learn and sounds good.

3 Likes

Yeah, but it needs more cowbell.

4 Likes

it is a bad ass bass part. Sean Yseault wrote it in 6/8 time, an Ivan De Plume, the drummer couldn’t understand 6/8 time so he just kept playing 4/4 drums, so their timing keeps going off and back on again, I think its awesome, and keep it exciting.

I think a lot of her bass lines on La Sexrcisto: Devel music Vol. 1 were great.

I was never a big fan of astrocreep 2000, and the band was done after that…
I never got big into Rob zombie. I could listen to hm, but wouldn’t pay for the tickets.

I may have to listen to astrocreep 2000 again, Sean may still have some sick bass lines on there.

Back to the post, there are 4 songs I play pretty much every time I pick up a bass. Honestly I consider it my work out cuz it can have some finger twisting within these songs

in no particular order except the lat one is my holy grail for finger working outa warming and I just love to play the song thru most of the parts as they are.

#1 - Pantera - Mouth for War
#2 -Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
#3- Sublime - Date Rape
#4 - I just warm up with the first section of NOFX Separation of church and skate
and this is what I play most. I just love it. you can play it perfectly, you can improvise and play it with your own flavor.
ONce I say the title, you will kind of laugh, but I never really play the title riff, I just start right after it, and play thru the huge bass run tha stats after the 2nd time the main riffs (not title riffs) play, and the bass run begins right after where I let the tab end. Anybody interested in it, you can look at the end of the 50 song book, but I didn’t learn it that way, and I play the run how I feel it, playing it mostly note for note, but sometimes I just play it how it feels like it needs to be played in the moment.

Iron Man by Black Sabbath
I don’t play it like the 50 s0ng book, I actually think my way is cooler, but if you start to play after the 2nd iron man riff, when it goes into a a 7-9-9 pluck

9__7_______________________________
9_____9___7_h_9_7__________4_5_4________
7____________________5_5_4_5_______5_4_____
__________________________________5

times 2____________________________
7_8_9__
5_s_7___7_8_9_______________________
7_7_7________________________________________

9__7_______________________________
9_____9_7__5_7_5_________4_5_4________
7____________________5_5_4_5_______5_4_____
__________________________________5

times 2_____/______________________
7_8_9/11_9
5_s_7___7_8_9/11_10_9_7

7_7_7___________________________________9_7 h 9_7 h 9

thats the just of it. after the last 7 h 9, 7 h 9, it goes into a geezer bass solo.
Again, you can play it perfectly, or you can improvise and still sound sweet wicked with that song.

I never thought Iron Man was such a cool bass song until I started playing around with it, now I can’t put it down.

3 Likes

Man i love geezer. A true bass legend. I’ve never played a Sabbath like that didn’t make me smile.

4 Likes

Chic - Good Times
Level 42 - good man in a storm
Jamiroquai - runaway

4 Likes

If we talking a full song then I love to play James Brown - I feel good. Its funky, groovy and sounds good in to that song.

5 Likes

I find Rush’s “New World Man” to be my go to when I first start to practice. Fun song to play.

5 Likes

I play this one a lot, too. Doesn’t matter the tuning, either, it’s just fun to jam out to :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

“Funny How Time Slips Away”, Elvis, Live at Madison Square Garden - Jerry Scheff put down some good basslines for the lisitners.

2 Likes

“Hey Joe” from the Are You Experienced? album.

Been playing it for years on guitar, and now on bass. I always loved that walking bass line. Not the toughest line in the world, but that song impressed me on multiple levels since it was new and it’s stuck with me.

3 Likes

Amen to that, it is just so fun to play all the hammer and slides.
Nothing too hard, but it sounds so fucking epic.
Too bad Dime can’t be in the background with his pinch harmonics at the end of the finger riffs.

I used to play some white zombie back in my guitar days, and for the life of me I can’t figure out why I have not bothered to play any of the bass parts.

New goal, I owe you big @Koldunya

3 Likes

Today it’s gonna be something really annoying to my neighbor. because i love it when they knock on my wall like I’m their 14 year old who had practiced enough for the day.
( this happens at 6 p.m. even though the manager has directly told them quiet hours begin at 10…)

So I’m thinking maybe possum kingdom by the toadies and hash pipe by weezer. But I’m open to suggestions if anyone wants to give them.

2 Likes

This reminds me of the guy that was the head of the condo that Frank Tagliano, aka Frankie the Fixer, aka Hans Erickson bought into in Lillyhammer. (yes, thats the way the show spells it, even tho it is not correct).

Great show. One of the first 4 Netflix made when streaming took over, so around 2013

2 Likes

I love the show! Ger elvis had it, man! He really did.

2 Likes