What color pickguard?

Thinking of getting a new pickguard in a different color.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

Tort?

4 Likes

If I could choose a color I would have a new pickguard for my 51p.

But a black pearl might be nice,black red and silver compliment each other

2 Likes

All good suggestions from Barney and Wombat.

A tort would give your bass a vintage-tribute vibe without being vintage.

If you want a groovier look, consider a twist on the traditional and maybe go with a dark red pearl or a black abalone. Or even the paint swirl (they each look different than each other, different colors and mixtures).

Dark Red Pearl

Black Abalone

Paint Swirl

1 Like

Yup, leave it as it is.
It’s perfect!

5 Likes

Totally agree.

4 Likes

Same. maybe swap it for white.

I was assuming @Barney was joking with the tort :rofl:
For me, tort on red is usually no, though there are exceptions, like the current Pacifica 611:

That’s still almost a no though. I didn’t buy one after trying and liking it and I would be lying if I said the tort wasn’t part of the blame. But it’s one of the torts I have disliked the least anyway, I’ll give it that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My vote is for Tort or a tort variation as suggested by @MikeC.
That Dark Red Pearl looks really nice!

1 Like

Same here. But, if you must change it, please don’t put a tort pickguard on it. Tort on red is just awful.

3 Likes

Oops! Then better alert Fender they got it wrong on this $5,250 Custom Shop Limited-Edition Precision Bass Special Journeyman Relic Aged in Dakota Red.

Who are they to know what a bass should look like? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies so far, all. I should have provided a more detailed picture. It’s not solid red, it’s a translucent “cayenne” coating with the woodgrain showing through. You can see it better here:

32d6a356077a9e0ea04b71cb49f7618c6c76a7c1_2_375x500

Generally speaking, I’m not a “tort” fan. That said, this one:

Is tort-adjacent and I think that looks super cool. I’m going to look into that a bit more. I had considered a white one, but my current-being-built Warmoth body is Olympic white, so that might be too much white.

3 Likes

Yeah, I saw that your finish is actually a translucent red stain. Very pretty.

Thats why I thought a red pearl pickguard’s depth with black areas would complement your bass well.

1 Like

@JustTim FYI, here’s a comp of the Dark Red Pearl on your bass.

3 Likes

Here’s a Black Pearl.

3 Likes

This is Faux Tortoise.

3 Likes

Here’s White/Black/White.

3 Likes

Mint pearl or that new fender aged pearl thingy. It looks very nice.

Anodized pink would also looks very cool but who’s selling lol.

4 Likes

I am very jealous of people who can do stuff like that in Photoshop, @MikeC. Thanks for the effort, it helps. I kinda do like that Dark Red Pearl render. I like the white, too, but I think I’ll have too much white when my Warmoth arrives.

3 Likes

The answer is always Tortoise Shell…

3 Likes

Actually, I kind of like the black as it is now.

3 Likes