What do you use on your strings when finished playing?

So I have received advice from two bass players that I respect. One is my dad who has been playing for 50 yrs. He uses Pledge furniture polish on his strings/fretboard when he is done playing for the day.

The other is a buddy of mine who has been playing for 30+ yrs. He uses a lint free rag and some lemon oil (the kind you get from a hardware store in the furniture finishing area).

Any advice from vet players here? For now I just wipe the strings and body off with a lint free cloth…

3 Likes

I just wipe with microfiber.

4 Likes

Same here, @faamecanic!

Don’t think I’d want oil on my strings. But, it is good for the fretboard, I hear, so apply it when you change the strings!

4 Likes

Hey, @faamecanic . . . :slight_smile:

I just wipe my strings with a microfiber cloth, but once a week or so I use a product called “MusicNomad String Fuel” which is a string cleaner and lubricant. Here’s a link to it:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MN109

HTH and all best, Joe

3 Likes

What? After EVERY session? :open_mouth:

Both of my basses got dusted before I hung them on the rack early this year (or possibly late last year). One hasn’t been off the rack since about September but came down yesterday and I blew the cobwebs off - literally. It’s a very dusty house so I’d only be fighting a losing battle if I picked a fight with it.

I would imagine care regime needed would depend a lot on your climate: it’s cool enough here all year round that we don’t have aircon or humidity issues, and the house rarely goes about or below the 10-18degC range. I suppose that means the strings aren’t exposed to moisture issues so no treatment needed.

3 Likes

Strings will rust here if you don’t take care for humidity and also wipe them down. That said I haven’t had a problem, and all I do is a quick microfiber wipe every couple sessions.

4 Likes

Strings can be replaced, but it is important to take good care of the fretboard, such that it doesn’t dry out, cracks or pushes out/ up the frets!!

2 Likes

I should probably buy some fretboard oil at some point.

3 Likes

Thanks for replies all…

Both my dad and friend are gigging bassists…so they get a lot of sweat and oils on the bass and strings. Me not being a gigging bassist (yet) I probably woulnt need to go to the extreme of wiping the strings down with a cleaner/preservative yet after every session.

I do live in Florida where humidity is always high and I live fairly close to the beach so we tend to have a slight saltiness in the air depending on wind (20 miles from gulf).

1 Like

I’ve used “Guitar Honey” on the fretboards of all my stringed instruments. High heat and humidity here in Middle Georgia is horrendous! I do wipe down the strings and fretboard frequently with a microfiber, but the one thing I try to do consistently is to wash or wipe my hands down with cleaner wipes before I play. I keep a plastic container of those throw away wipes in my music room at all times…

Keeping your hands clean will extend the life of your strings… Just my opinion…

2 Likes