What fingering would you use here

What fingering would you use in the 2nd bar?
If I use index and pinky then then transition into the 3rd bar is awkward (index on D3 to index on A3).
If I use middle and pinky then the transition from the 1st bar is awkward (pinky on E5 to middle on D3).

3 Likes

If I were playing it I would play the first bar of (A) notes with my pinky then transfer to my index for the second bar using my pinky again on the 5th fret and transitioning back to the index for the next bar if that makes sense You can leave the index barred across the 3rd fret on the A and D string for an easier transition using this method only moves the pinky across the strings

3 Likes

Yeah that’s my plan C and would be ideal, but that’s even more difficult than the other two. I’m not very good at finger rolling (especially on the lower strings).

3 Likes

Keep at it you can get it I am sure of it. Just might take a little time to master that finger roll

3 Likes

I would play with pinky and index (just did). when changing from the D string to the A string, I would use the rolling finger technique or a microshift to the middle finger

5 Likes

You mean index on D3 to middle on A3? Is that even legal?

4 Likes

I hesitate to give you my bad habit, but this works for me on Come Down by Bush on that riff that goes quickly from a B to an F sharp - this has a similar vibe. I’m not a very good finger roller and I try not to bar strings of I don’t have to.

For the first transition into the second bar, totally agree with @LesterH

When I go from the F to the G and back to the F on the second bar, I’d grab that last F with my middle finger and then land on the first C on the third bar with my index finger. Then I’m ready for whatever is next.

It fits me and allows me to keep my muting in tact. Also, for what it’s worth, I’ll always “climb over” my middle finger with my index when I move strings like that - doesn’t matter the direction.

Again, your mileage may vary…

4 Likes

Yeah tried that too, but my fingers always got confused at the sudden change to the middle finger. I’ll try some more to see if it starts feeling more natural.

3 Likes

Hold on. Let me grab my bass

2 Likes

Yes, exactly. My default would be the rolling finger but if I wanted to add some dynamics (a micro-slide) on D3-D2 with index finger and then drop my middle finger on A3

To check if it’s legal or not watch this technique video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5fts7bj-so&ab_channel=wicked

:innocent:

5 Likes

Haha fair enough :smiley:

That’s a good idea with the slide to D2 as well, will try it tomorrow

3 Likes

What song is this?

2 Likes

Last couple of bars in Otherside

3 Likes

Hah perfect :slight_smile:

Great album, I still listen to a few tracks off of Straight Outta Compton pretty regularly. NWA and Public Enemy really held up well over time.

3 Likes

Yeah, I am gonna have to add a +1 to play the whole thing with index and pinky, finger rolling the string down, but if its not comfortable for you, do what you have to when transitioning.

3 Likes

That’s the move!
Same fret, adjacent string is one of the most difficult fingering transitions (if not the most difficult). You’re not alone in this struggle!
But - definitely the way to do it.

8 Likes

I have another fingering question, this one’s from Testify (RATM):

The question is about the ghost notes in the 4th bar, and the transition into the slide in the 1st bar. I’ve thought of 2 possible fingerings so far, but neither of them are very good:

1. Index on A8, pinky on A10, slide on E with index: this is the easiest for playing the ghost notes, but I’m finding the transition into the slide on E impossible already at 80 bpm (song is 118 bpm)
  2. Play both A8 and A10 with index, slide on E with pinky: this makes the transition doable, but makes the ghost notes harder to play, and the slide is a bit awkward as well with the pinky

Which one would you go with? Any other suggestions?

3 Likes

I like that option.
As I’m transitioning the index finger to the 10th fret, it makes the ghost notes easier, as I’m not applying pressure in the left hand - it’s creating a mute.
I play the 12th fret E string (now D) slide with my ring finger, but whatever works!

4 Likes

Ok thanks, index-index-ring it is then. The ring finger is actually right at the perfect spot, don’t know how I missed that. Much more convenient than the pinky, and easier on the slide as well.

Now I just have to increase my plucking speed by 50% somehow. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

YES!!! YES!!! and More YES!!

Once I get to the point where I can create my own music … old school rap\hip and that BOOM BAP beat is just setup so perfect for BASS!!!

Especially when I listen to Snoops Doggystyle album it has SOO many great PHAT BASS Lines!!!

3 Likes