What is it about the p-bass?

Mine has a Modern C :rofl:

Nice and wide 42mm nut, very comfy. Not too deep (I don’t like the U’s). Very chunky, substantial, and yet extremely playable. It’s very comfortable.

I do think 40mm/Modern C is about my favorite neck though. My SBV’s neck is perfect. More substantial than a Jazz, not quite as big as a P.

1 Like

But my pbass neck has to be right too. For example I don’t like the Player series modern C neck shape. Too flat for my taste.

Something like a Vintera with an 1.75” nut or an Original with a 1.73” nut is a bit too thick.

Right now my absolute favorite is the ‘63 neck shape on the American Pro Deux with the 1.62” nut.

2 Likes

My Cutlass is only an eighth-inch wider than a Jazz neck. EB specs it as a C, but the profile isn’t too thick, so likely more Modern C-ish.

On top of all that, it has a 7.5-inch fretboard radius that just feels…right.

4 Likes

This is (as many other lovely forumites have said above me) a big part of it.
It is the sound of the bass on a whole lot of landmark recordings so it has, in a way, become the sound of the classic electric bass.

In my more modern experience, the P-bass - a decent one, not some piece of plywood sold at a mall for $100 - tends to sit perfectly in the mix and has a great blend of clarity and low end while not getting in the way of other instruments.

I’ve been asked to bring it - specifically - to gigs and recording sessions because that is the sound that the band leader/producer wants to hear.
I always bring another bass or two as well - just in case. Sometimes they are asked for - more aggressive, clean production jobs do well with a more modern active electronic instrument - slap and pop is better on a J-bass or MusicMan style bass - but for backing up a traditional band/song the P-bass has carved out its place as ~the~ electric bass sound.

11 Likes

Great, great basses for punk. It’s like the unofficial official bass of punk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81AGe9ZMNGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2lA1G51G3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxnaEcfaoUA

4 Likes

Started with a P Bass in the early 80’ then moved on to a couple different J Basses as well as a few with Dual Humbuckers. Last year bought a Fender AM Pro II P-Bass, it has a 63’ neck that feels perfect to me and I absolutely love this bass and was the sound that I was looking for, apparently, I just prefer the tone of the P Bass more than the others. :guitar: :notes: :heart:

3 Likes

From reviews I’ve read, the '63 neck on the Fender Pro II P sounds like it would be pretty perfect, IMHO.

4 Likes

Reviews be correct!

3 Likes

Interesting. How would I tell what neck my cheapy Chinese p-bass has on it?

1 Like

Measure the width of the nut from end to end.

Also measure the depth of the neck at the first fret, from the top of the fingerboard to the back of the neck.

The neck profile (curvature of the neck’s shape) is trickier to determine. It is likely some sort of a C contour, but might be a D. Hard for anyone not actually holding the bass to tell. Pics taken from a couple of angles would help.

1 Like

I think it is funny how two of my hobbies that are totally different corelate here:
In kitesurfing, the “Modern C shape” on kites is also a thing. :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ll go and measure the neck once I find my Vernier Calipers. What is the difference between a “C” and a “D” neck?

1 Like

3 Likes

For more info Beginner Bass Neck Radius

1 Like

Always wanted to try that - realistically, I’m sure I’m too inflexible, uncoordinated, or just generally unathletic to manage it, but it looks like a lot of fun…

I have played the p-base and don’t care for it at all. Just something about them that some people like I guess.

There are many variants of P basses made by many makers.

What setup do you like?

After playing a few, I settled on the yamaha. I started with a Yamaha trbx 304. Now play a Yamaha bb734. For my hands, the Yamaha neck thickness and shape are ideal.

Also a big fan of humbucker pickups and Yamaha puts those on quite a few of their instruments. My 7:34 I play in passive mode, I really enjoy that instrument.

1 Like

If you look on YouTube on the bass buzz videos, Josh did a shootout video between the squire and the trbx304. The Yamaha won.

1 Like