What is it about the p-bass?

TRBX304 and BB734 are both fine instruments. Good choice

1 Like

Oval C neck - it’s 1.75" but thin front to back with exceptionally rounded ‘shoulders’…that is MY draw to the P bass — I also think it sounds good ALL the time…whereas other pickup/preamps can be daunting to fiddle with and you end up convincing yourself that it sounds great - until someone asks you if you have a P or jazz bass with ya. There’s THAT. lol
I am fortunate enough to have numerous choices - and I do play them all…but 80% of the time, I reach for my P bass ----it’s just really really familiar and good!
(I have two Wals, a Dingwall, Pedulla’s, Fbass, and a few others------ I typically bounce between my Ash Fender Custom Shop P, or my Alder Custom Shop P).

3 Likes

Yeah the whole TRBX line is solid, my 604 was a steal. And the BB is a classic bass legend. First bass I played back in the '80s was my friend’s BB, and I loved the 734A I owned. Great line.

2 Likes

Man, that’s a hell of an impressive arsenal!

2 Likes

Yeah was gonna say, as much as I love my P-Bass, I think I would be reaching for the FBass :rofl:

5 Likes

Absolutely. And the Wals ain’t exactly shabby.

3 Likes

I broke my left wrist in 7 places forty years ago (motorbike accident) and still have extremely limited movement in it (and so have to ignore all Josh’s advice on hand and wrist position as I simply can’t do it) so neck type isn’t really relevant to me so far! I’m currently saving for a Harley Benton HBZ-2004 (Peavey Cirrus clone), which is simply gorgeous, but I’ll keep my P-bass and probably get a Jazz copy eventually too.

2 Likes

I fought getting a p-bass for the longest time, because I really dislike Fender’s modern implementation of the p-bass. For me, they’re too heavy and the neck is like trying to play on a tree trunk. But the more I played, the more I realized that the p-bass “sound” is what I like to hear, and what I want to sound like. Eventually, I capitulated… but I didn’t go Fender.

Hear, hear. Check out the Schecter P-4 (not the Exotic, although I think the Exotic has the same neck), that’s the p-bass that I play. 42mm nut width, 16" fretboard radius, 20mm thick at the first fret/22mm thick at the 12th fret. It’s a true joy to play, a contender for my absolute favorite neck (currently tied with the Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas IV). And it’s just a beautiful instrument:

I can say that I did NOT like the stock pickup on my P-4 (a Schecter USA MonsterTone-P). It was just too… OMGIAMANEFFINGLOUDPICKUP for me. I replaced it with a Seymour Duncan SPB-1, which has been perfect.

2 Likes

I’m not a Fender/Squier fan, but if I were to ever be tempted to have one, it would be an American Pro II P because of its neck width and profile.

3 Likes

This varies tremendously within the Fender range. The modern C on the Mexican bass is slim compared to the 50s vintage correct neck.

There’s a lot of choice

Mexican P Bass

41.3mm nut (Slimmer than your bass :wink:)
20mm 1st fret
23mm 12th fret

Pretty similar to your nice Schecter

2 Likes

Not in the market for a P, but I’ll keep that in mind :smile: Thanks!

1 Like

My go to P is my 54 P custom, a P with a Jazz neck. I can play the bass without touching the back of the neck, a lovely bass to play. Charvel necks are awesome too.

But, a Squier CV 60s P has a surprisingly thin and playable neck. A good starting point for modding

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

If it’s about the neck width, Sandberg Vs are at 39,5 [Edit: mm of course :sweat_smile:] cm at zero fret :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I do like a 40mm nut

2 Likes

Man, that’s a whopper :rofl:

Is that for a 24-string bass?? :wink:

3 Likes

Guess it should have been mm :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

39.5 cm now that’s a proper neck width

4 Likes

Actual 24-string

3 Likes