What is it about the p-bass?

Get them hands and fingers stretching. :rofl:

2 Likes

We still haven’t heard it in action. Is this the one with the Stinger pickup? That is what I am interested hearing in action.

1 Like

No, that has a Quarter Pound in it. The Stinger is in my white D5

4 Likes

You told me that. Sorry

1 Like

All good. My own fault for being lazy and not figuring out how to record

2 Likes

At the end of the day if you want an immersive P bass experience you just got to get a Fender P bass. Even the Squier P bass has that Mythical power, lol.

2 Likes

Hi V8: yeah, I’m right there with you. Given the number of amps that have built in effects and the number of stomp boxes available for basses, one can alter the tone of any instrument to suite their needs. I play Yamaha and G&L because I like the way the necks feel. Can’t get into P bass at all but from what I read, recording engineers like the clean unadulterated tone of the P bass coming into their console.

1 Like

From an audio engineer perspective…the P Bass tone is easier to fit in the mix.

2 Likes

Sort of having a similar scenario in that I researched like crazy to figure out that the P Bass was THE sound that most music features, and the majority of artists I like used.

BUT one thing that I noticed was that the P Basses they used tended to be vintage/original from the 50s and 60s etc.

Modern P Bass, while they have some interesting updates, have a lot of differences.

Like others have said, it does what it’s supposed to do, sounds how you expect it to, and does both of those things really well.

I am beginning to believe though that in order to really get the experience that many fantasize about, you’re going to have to find a vintage one and be willing to spend a hefty penny for it.

1 Like

I greatly prefer the modern P-bass sound; it’s mostly due to (much) better pickups.

1 Like

I have a new Fender Telebass. I would much rather have it than a vintage 60s/70s model, the pickups were muddy and it’s better built today. If I want to sound exactly like vintage I could change the pickup - an original pickup is around $500, that and a new bass is much cheaper than a vintage bass (and Fender had notorious QC in the 70s).

(and who wants to remove the neck to adjust the truss)

3 Likes

Yeah all in all IMO with pre-'80s Fender instruments, “vintage” just means “old”. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but the current production is just fine.

The '80s gets interesting with the MIJs though. That’s when Fujigen came in. Especially some of the '80s MIJ Fender guitars are supposed to be awesome. Of course so are the 2020’s models.

1 Like

It’s always interesting how a lot of things sound great in the mix and horrible soloed :slight_smile: There are so many iconic guitar/bass tracks that sound terrible on their own.

2 Likes

Yes, I have one of these ‘old’ basses and I love it
my p-bass is a 1983 PB-62 JV serial mij fender from fujigen…got it around may last year

The pbass itself is a strong case of an ‘industry standard’, due to its sound and the history of recorded music, it is the can’t go wrong option (like the sm57 to mics), it may not be the singular best choice every time but if you use it it will do the job and sound ‘right’ 99% of the time

2 Likes

It’s the sign of time. Back in the 80’s and 90’s I remember having the conversation with several fellow bassists and they seemed to rave about the modern punchy pickups and dissing the outdated tone of the old ones( someone) hadn’t thought about coining the term for marketing old stuff yet at fender.

It’s about wanting a vintage V shaped EQ of highs and low or U shaped one with mids on the moden pickups.

2 Likes

We’re living in the golden age of bass. You have options, you can go vintage or modern, stuff is higher quality. good instruments won’t break the bank, really a good time to be a player

3 Likes