What’s your favorite bass (if you own more than 1)

Funny how things change.

So when this thread first came up, I responded Blu, my blue Fender Jazz. I played it all the time.

Since then I’ve got my Sire, which has the fullest tone, and my cheap Squier Affinity Jaguar H. I replaced the Music Man style humbucker with an EMG one, and it has so much character, is so easy to play, has only a tone pot so I’m not chasing the perfect tone, the Jag is what it is, and I just love playing it.

So stay tuned. I may amend this after the Paranormal comes in, but there’s something to be said about a medium scale bass.

5 Likes

What’s the wait time on the Paranormal at this point?

2 Likes

When I ordered it, the shipping time was mid September. However, I noticed it in stock at Empire Music and several Reverb retailers this week, so I’m hopeful the shipping will be sooner

When I ordered the Jag H, same deal, September. I found it at another vendor so cancelled the preorder with Sweetwater, and they got it in the next day.

With covid shipping from overseas is not predictable

3 Likes

It’s all of them :slight_smile:

I thought it was my Sire M7 or my GWB35 but I just rediscovered my Jazz bass after not playing it for a few months and it’s pretty awesome and my Yamaha TRBX174 is always good :slight_smile:

5 Likes

She’s in stock now baby. Now for the pickups…

4 Likes

just for fun, and because I’m a geek, I just made a little graphic based on the statistics of the basses I used during the 44 covers I recorded since the begining of the covers thread :

18 Likes

My kinda geek :joy::+1:t4:

6 Likes

I think it’s awesome that you have a statistically significant number of covers :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Haha nice one Terb. Are the colours of the graphic in the correct color of the bass too? :laughing:

8 Likes

of course ! :sunglasses:

8 Likes

14 Likes

I’ve only done 15 covers since I started doing them in October of 2000, and I counted 9 of them that were done on the Yamaha BB735 (which I no longer own), 2 on the Frank Bella ESP, and 4 on the Hofner. In my opinion, the best ones were on the Hofner. Maybe it’s a skill / experience thing, but I really love the tone of that Hofner the best.
I think I’d have to say, the Hofner is my favorite. I’m even thinking I may buy another one down the line.

7 Likes

You are really making me want to go try one out.
Which model do you have / recommend?
I’d love to A/B it to my Gretsch and see what unique tones I could get from a Hofner vs. that one.

5 Likes

It’s the Hofner Ignition, which you can find at just about any music store for around $399 (before haggling). No matter how much I try to hate it, I just can’t.
Check out these covers that I did with the Hofner (not so much for my playing, but for the tone of the instrument)
Beds are Burning - (pampurrs.com)
Train Train - (pampurrs.com)
Psycho Killer - (pampurrs.com)
Heard it in a Love Song - (pampurrs.com)

7 Likes

Yeah your Beds are Burning cover is the one that made me say…”oh no, I might need a Hofner”

6 Likes

So does Paul Mccartney! Altho I read somewhere that he mainly wanted this bass because of the symmetrical shape so it looks less awkward playing left handed :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s just one a few stories about the Hofner and Paul. There’s also the one in which the Hofner was the only bass he could afford at the time when he was thrust into becoming the Beatles’ bass player.

6 Likes

I have two at the moment. The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass was about $300, plus another $350 in upgrades. The LsL P-bass was significantly more expensive. I love them both. The P-bass is like driving a monster truck, while the Jazz is like a souped-up Miata. If someone said, “you can only take one bass to the gig,” I’d take the Jazz. If I could only have one, it would be the P-bass. C’mon, a surf green, left-handed P-bass? See if you can find another one.

12 Likes

Depends what i am playing. I like my junior jet for bass centric stuff like royal blood and
death frim above, and rocksteady…pbass for the rest

3 Likes

The one true constant with my basses is my TRBX604FM. I just love the thing. Fit and finish are perfect, feels great, sounds great, looks awesome.

Really liking my SBV550 too. Really high quality instrument. It’s got personality, looks amazing and unique, sounds great, feels great, and weighs in at almost as light as the TRBX. Only drawback is a little neck dive due to the top peg position, but no big deal.

12 Likes