What’s your favorite bass (if you own more than 1)

The one true constant with my basses is my TRBX604FM. I just love the thing. Fit and finish are perfect, feels great, sounds great, looks awesome.

Really liking my SBV550 too. Really high quality instrument. It’s got personality, looks amazing and unique, sounds great, feels great, and weighs in at almost as light as the TRBX. Only drawback is a little neck dive due to the top peg position, but no big deal.

12 Likes

For almost all of my bass plying, including finishing off the remaining lessons of B2B, I have a new favorite: my Peavey Milestone BXP JJ.
For the Steve Harris and Geezer Butler riffs I’ve been woking on, I have my P-clone.

3 Likes

Ive been thinking about this lately, I know the one I don’t like for sure but in general what’s in my hand and playing is my favorite. There’s always a little thing I notice while playing and usually put a smile on my face. While I have a few “ Jack of all trades“ I like one trick pony kind of bass.

5 Likes

What Geezer riffs have you been playing mostly? I am loving playing his basslines, they are so driving, and times, and grooved, and he knows when to step back and just tie Tony Bill and Ozzy together, and he knows when to step up and let it rip.
I love Geezer, his lines are really fun too.
Getting used to alot of his grace note hammer ons and 1/4 and 1/2 bends takes some time, but they sound so freaking cool

I have not gotten into maiden songs yet, IDK why.
Guess I just went the Slayer / Pantera / Cliff metallica way. I must land on Steve harris soon tho.

And I do play my P bass mostly for Geezer, and will for Steve Harris, but for Rex Brown, I stick with my Rays, and for Cliff, its a tough choice, cuz he did so many mods to his bass, including putting guitar pick ups under his bridge.
There is an Aria, all black, cliff burton style at the Guitar / Pawn shop near me.
Good thing I can’t spend money these days, or I would have taken it home with the BRAND NEW Schecter Stealth 4 in black out matte black. Heck if I was into just blowing the was, I wold have taken one of the Toby’s, and maybe, just aybe, and only maybe, and only if it were because I was going ALL IN, I might have taken one of the Hofner or violin or viola basses home, they had about 6 different makes, models, I didn’t pay cloe enough attention TBH

3 Likes

Here you go @T_dub

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I have seen that one a few times.

You saw @JoshFossgreen ’s 2nd to last Bass Buzz video on Geezer Buttler, right?
EPIC.
I love him, big influence on my playing thats for sure.
Bass Buzz’s newest one that just came out yesterday was awesome too.

I just have not made it to his posts on here about the videos yet to leave comments, but if you are reading this one Josh, those were both great videos, and I watched the Geezer one about 5 times already

3 Likes

I watched Josh’s Geezer video a few times. Still yet to have a go though apart from a few noodles around the start of Paranoid.
He is definitely one of my bass heroes though

3 Likes

You Tube channel, “Beholden to the Riff” just did the tutorial on WarPigs, yesterday. There are downloadable interactive tabs too.

I watched it, and played thru a few parts, but have not gotten serious about it yet, which I will this weekend when I get the computer and get my whole set up back together.

If I am not mistaken, there is some footage on YouTube of Josh playing WarPigs at a live set. Correct me if I am wrong @JoshFossgreen

3 Likes

I’ll have a look for that Beholden to the Riff @T_dub :+1: thanks for the heads up :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Iron Man, NIB, Fairies Wear Boots - but just riffs, haven’t attempted a whole song yet

3 Likes

Don’t think so! Never played that live.

3 Likes

Was i another sabbath song then? I am sure I saw a sabbath performance.
Could be wrong even on that, tho. It happens often .

3 Likes

Don’t think so! I’d like to though, it’d be fun to cop some Geezer moves live!

5 Likes

That is crazy.
For some reason I have this memory of somebody posting footage of you playing a live gig,
And then somebody asked you if you were using somebody elses 5 string bass, possibly @Gio ’s bass.

Or do I have it backwards, was it a performance of Gio playing live, and somebody asked him if he was using a borrowed 5 string, possibly yours.

I swear I remember something like that, but, who knows, I have had multiple TBI’s, and was jumped omce by 4 guys, and was kicked in the head and fractured my cheekbone in so bag I had surgery to put it badck place, I have two screws around my left eye, one is under my eye, about center, the other is on the end left end of my left eyebrow.

Maybe I just have a screw loose ( haha, pun intended)
Years of abuse on my brain, but not much hallucinogens, so I doubt its a flashback, so I am going with the loose screw theory here.

3 Likes

That was a @Gio gig. I think it was the owner of the club singing War Pigs.

If I remember Gio’s brother joined in on guitar.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, I remember that! One of the venues up in Marin or Sonoma I think?

5 Likes

Thanks Eric, I now know I am not totally insane.
Still prob have a screw loose, but not so loose its gonna strip or fall out.

And, Yes, the whole reason I thought of it specifically was because it was War Pigs, which I was talking to @ mac about when I made the statement about Josh playing it.
My apologies @JoshFossgreen for confusing the situation,
And to you too @Gio , for not giving credit where credit is due.

So now, @Mac

And it is it is in a thread somewhere in this forum too.

5 Likes

I will begin the search now I’ve put the Warwick back together :+1:

4 Likes

I remember playing one a bit, more than 50 years ago. It was borrowed for awhile, and I remember it being very heavy, especially for its size.
It seemed like a real quality bass to me. Never thought about, or saw one since. Sounds tempting for inside a camper, now.

2 Likes

My Vintage VJ74 Re-issue, especially with the Fender Flats. Rings like a bell, sounds awesome, plays great. Now my LTD B50 FM ain’t no slouch. I am considering putting LLTF’s on it to see if I can learn to love it as much as my Vintage.

3 Likes