What’s your favorite bass (if you own more than 1)

It’s a little strange, but I put on the Waza-Air Bass tonight and tried it with all 8 of my basses and I came away with the impression that my J Bass (the Poison Apple I built) had the best tone and low end grunt with the Yamaha BB G4 and Ibanez Mikro coming in behind it. I also found that the Steinberger E string was way out of tune. Ranking them in order:

1. The Poison Apple J Bass
  2. the Yamaha BB G4
  3. The Ibanez Mikro
  4. The Turquoise Waters P Bass
  5. Squier Affinity Jaguar
  6. The Yamaha TRBX174
  7. The generic PJ Bass (1st one I bought)
  8. The Steinberger Spirit XT-1 (mostly because it was out of tune)
    Now, this was just with the Waza…I haven’t tried them on the actual amps and I’ll tune the Steinberger before I try again.
5 Likes

My favourite has become my Warwick Thumb. It’s just a pleasure to play.
It’s very closely followed by my Streamer NT. Again easy to play and lighter than the thumb. The PJ pickup layout is very good tone wise.
After that would be my Corvette. It’s one I go back to and really enjoy. Definitely on the boat anchor scale though.
Then its a toss up between the Infinity and my Ibanez SR.
To be totally honest it’s pretty hard to choose between them all but the Thumb has a slight edge

5 Likes

I asked all my Santas for a bass related shirt for Christmas and ended up with three. Can anyone guess what my favorite bass is?

15 Likes

Love it!!

I have been seriously messing around with my ugly green Hofner to some late Beatles tunes and I have to say I am loving it, a LOT.
So much so that I am now considering a higher end Hofner in its place.
When I first tried it at GC, I did not like it at all, but finding one for $150 I couldn’t pass it up, even if it isn’t easy being green.
But for getting that early or late Macca tone, its amazing.
Next cover will be on it, and with a damn pick!
For some reason, the little Hofner seems pick friendly to me vs. my other longer basses, not sure why.

5 Likes

My favorite bass has changed quite a bit since my earlier post. It is now, without doubt, my Kiesel-made Carvin X44 Xccelerator. So much so that - much like @PamPurrs above - I have a Kiesel hoodie on its way to me.

I did some digging and discovered what woods were used in the construction of my X44… it’s got a quilted maple top, a black limba and white limba body, a maple and black limba neck, and a birdseye maple fretboard.

I didn’t even know that limba was an actual wood. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

Limba is very similar to Mahogany. Black and White limba are the same tree, just darker or lighter grain.

4 Likes

Right now its definitely my American Professional II Precision bass. This thing has some thump. Great build and the neck is slightly thinner than a traditional P bass neck so transition from my Jazz was quite easy.

5 Likes

It’s interesting as since my original answer I have found that this answer changes over time. I picked up my favorite trusty modded Squier last night and thought I hated it, but…after playing a while liked it, but it wasn’t #1.

But also picked up my CS P last night and it was like magic, and some days doing that is not.

So today my #1 is the burst Aerodyne with the D’Addario tapes on it. Some magic there.

8 Likes

I’ve had the same issue @John_E mostly because I bought the Gretsch since I last talked about my basses and I’ve started playing on Yousician a lot more. The Gretsch is definitely number one with the Mikro #2 and the Poison Apple J bass #3. I like the Peavey Milestone IV but it’s not as good as some of the others, and the Steinberger has moved way up.

1. The Gretsch G2220
  2. Ibanez Mikro
  3. Poison Apple J Bass
  4. Yamaha BB G4
  5. Jackson JS2
  6. Peavey Milestone IV
  7. Steinberger Spirit XT1
  8. Turquoise Waters P Bass
  9. Yamaha TRBX174
  10. Squier Jaguar
1 Like

My knee-jerk reaction is to say The Beast. A Carvin/Kiesel Xcellerator X64 is certainly a very nice instrument. But the C-5 GT has been getting most of my playing love lately. If I could only keep one? Probably The Beast. I love purple, but it’s rare and excellent.

2 Likes

I’m settled into two basses, my Stream 204, and my new Charvel

I have others I love, but all my playing time goes to these two. The Stream is like bass on easy mode, it’s so easy to play. It just fits.

The Charvel, sounds so beautiful. The pickups are so clear. Admittedly there could be some new bass syndrome, but I don’t think so. The tones are so pure, whereas the stream is a little raw. The Charvel is a little trickier to play in my hands, the neck is flat, the fingerboard is compound radius, and I’m not yet at home with it

The stream has a thin U neck, but the curve fits better than the flat Charvel neck.

If I feel this way in a month, another cull may be coming. I could live with these two.

6 Likes

Whatever one i can make noise with!

2 Likes

I’ve gone through Epiphone, Yamaha, Ibanez, G&L, Carvin, Squier, Kiesel, and Fender. And I loved some of those basses hard. But through it all, one of them has emerged victorious in my “what’s your favorite bass” race:

I’ve never been a “Fender guy”. In fact, in days of bass past I actively avoided Fender basses. But I picked that Jazz up in a trade a few months back, and since then it’s grown on me more and more. Now I can’t picture being without it.

12 Likes

Congrats “Fender Guy”. :rofl:

9 Likes

I’m no fender guy, but that’s a fine bass.

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

no surprise to anybody at all, my firemist gold bongo was and is my dream bass.

14 Likes

Don’t let them get you down @JustTim, Geddy never played a Schecter. This is a pic of my dirty office.

10 Likes

lol wut? Schecter is only mentioned a handful of times in this thread :eyes:

6 Likes

My favorite bass is often the one I’m playing.

Still, on no particular order, my top 4.

ESP LTD Stream 204, EMG P4X/J4X pickups, EMG BTC EQ, D’addario XT Nickel Plated Rounds

Charvel San Dimas IV PJ, DiMarzio Sixties P/Model J pickups, Darkglass Tone Capsule EQ, LaBella 760 flats, the Dark Queen.

Schecter Corsair Semi Hollow, EMG TBHZ pickups, EMG 2 band EQ, LaBella 760 flats, have a set of LaBella Low tension when the current ones get changed

Charvel San Dimas IV PJ, DiMarzio Model P/ J pickups,
3 band EQ, LaBella 760 flats

The Dark Queen sounds really nice. I took her to my lesson yesterday and had a substitute instructor, who said her sound has a lot of presence.

Would have taken the Schecter if I had known we were going more bluesy. Schecter makes a great bass

The D’addario XT strings are a lot like the NYXLs, but with more warmth. I think they’re coated but they don’t feel like it

4 Likes