What’s your “goal song”?

When I took a stab at piano years ago, my goal songs were “Saturday In The Park” by Chicago and Prelude/Angry Young Man by Billy Joel. I made it to the first one but never fully on the second.

On sax I started on bari and the goal song was “What is Hip?” By Tower of Power. I still remember the day I made it all the way though.

So wats that far reaching goal song (if you have one) on bass?

For me, it’s Don’t Give Hate A Chance by Jamiroquai.

Going to be a while before I get to here…

https://youtu.be/u_AI2v-4DTs

9 Likes

Vulfpeck - Dean Town all day all night :smiley:

7 Likes

I don’t have a specific song, but my goal is to consider it possible for me to competently play along with Rush/Metallica/Iron Maiden. It’s a long way off, and even longer if I keep practicing as infrequently as I am right now…

3 Likes

Paradise City

6 Likes

I had not thought it that way… there’s plenty of stuff I’d like to play, I’d be happy to play Schism or For whom the bell tolls… if I feel very ambitious I’d say Marcus Miller’s Power… but my goal really is to be able to jump in and play along a track, even if I’m not following the original bass line… and be able to that across genres that I enjoy, which are many

5 Likes

@John_E

Very nice and @Josh would be proud of those Bass slides she was doing.
Obviously not a beginner but she needs to get a strap and elevate that neck to straighten her wrist before she does her fretting hand wrist some serious damage.

At this point, I do not have a ‘Goal Song’.

2 Likes

Yeah, that aligns pretty much with my goals.
I do know the opening to for whom the bell tolls :wink:

2 Likes

Nice, I would be happy to play any number of Jamiroquai songs!

Like others I don’t have a particular song in mind but rather certain genres and bands that I would like to work up to one day. Bands like Jamiroquai, RHCP, Rancid, Offspring, Cake, Regurgitator, Muse, The Stone Roses, 19Twenty, Eskimo Joe, Faith No More, plus heaps of others, a fair variety, sometimes when I’m just playing my itunes on shuffle I will hear a song I have not heard for ages and it will have a really cool bass line, so I write all the songs in a book, the list is getting pretty long and all are well above my pay grade at the moment, but its good to have goals!

This is where I’m at, at the moment anyway,

Cheers Brendan

4 Likes

Anything from the Who’s “Live at Leeds” album, particularly Young Man Blues

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

There are tons of ‘along the way songs’ for me too, or styles.

The first two songs I learned, the hard way, note by note, without much of B2B under my belt were Silly Love Songs (Wings) and She (Kiss). They are not particularly hard, they are for sure hard in the beginning, and it was so rewarding to learn them. I love getting a song in my head and coming home and figuring out how to play it. Such a great feeling.

4 Likes

Cannonball by the Breeders and Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division… followed by everything by Kim Deal and Peter Hook :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome @DW

Glad you are here!

2 Likes

Got some fun power chords in there with Love Will Tear Us Apart :slight_smile:

Hooky is my favorite too.

3 Likes

@DW

Welcome to the forum

2 Likes

Welcome @DW

1 Like

Pick: I Saw Her Standing There (Beatles)
Slap: Higher Ground (RHCP)
Fingers: Around the World (also RHCP)

Why? These are all tunes heard regularly in covers bands here in HK. It’s my goal to do some covers gigs once the dive bars open up again, so … guess I’d better be prepared.

4 Likes

I’m working on higher ground myself…its no walk in the park

4 Likes

Hysteria - Muse. So was very happy to see Josh’s new video!

BTW, I’m sad that Marta (player in first post) stopped posting videos a few years ago. Really enjoyed watching her play. Apparently she went on tour with Jamiroquai too.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t know what happened to her / with her, she’s amazing.

2 Likes

I take it that you’ve seen this:

5 Likes