What’s your “goal song”?

Yes thank you this along with songsterr have gotten me the little bit down the trail that I am

4 Likes

Orion by Metallica (Cliff Burton). The first time I heard it, I wanted to learn how to play it. I didn’t know that could be done with a bass. This is literally my second day learning bass, so I realistically have a long way (years?) to go.

10 Likes

You have your dot on the horizon to aim for, @algosha3! Orion is a great song; I’ve been listening to it a lot lately and I would love to be able to play it myself. Some day, we’re both going to do it! Oh, and welcome to the forums, by the way :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I don’t have an “Ultimate Goal” song in mind. That would be so far down the line the goal would have changed by the time I get there anyway. :thinking:

However, the “current goal” song is Burn by The Cure from the Crow movie soundtrack.

After that I’ll be a bit more ambitious and look towards the likes of Tool & Periphery for inspiration.

5 Likes

My current goal song is “Hysteria” by Muse

4 Likes

Iron Maiden, Losfer Words or Transylvania and Wrathchild.

3 Likes

For me it’s Another one Bites the Dust by Queen, and several others done by John Deacon, for now anyway. I just love the classic rock stuff getting the Led out (Zeppelin)

5 Likes

Me too, @harperpaulb . . . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For the last few days, have been listening a lot to Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick by Ian Dury and The Blockheads

I had heard the song before but hadn’t realised how complex the bass line is, but I rediscovered the song by stumbling upon Josh’s cover and tutorial videos from many years back.

So that would be a very long-term goal, I can’t imagine playing any of that song in foreseaable future. Songs I’d like to learn in not-that-far future, aside from the ones in the 50 Songs Challenge, would be a Talking Heads song (always liked the bassline on The Good Thing, Psycho Killer I have partially learned), Hey by Pixies, and… I don’t know, many more potentially, but it really changes depending on the moment.

4 Likes

that’s a funky bassline!

1 Like

Thats setting the bar pretty high. :smile:
Its not so hard you can’t learn it, but it has a particular plucking pattern that makes timing very critical. Of course timing is always critical, but you can play the whole song and it would be not recognizable as Orion if you don’t stick to the pattern.
I have an accurate copy of it somewhere that has both sheet and tabs, but I would urge you to play more before you even look at it. If you start with this and don’t have much playing behind you, you can teach yourself some very bad habits that could be very hard to break.

The good news, is that you will be able to play it someday, if you put the work in.
for the record, I can play some of it, but I didn’t try to learn much of it. Truth be told, I didn’t even know the song when I first saw the tab and started learning some of it. But I learned the easier parts only.

1 Like

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed by Allman Brothers Band. Humorously this was first song I tried to play. A good friend and long time bass player just laughed when he watched me struggle. He said, “Stan, half the bass players in a bar band on Friday night can’t play that. And that’s what you pick to learn first!”.

5 Likes

That’s probably the first bass line I tried to play, based on this video, if I remember correctly:

It sounds simple, but I found it surprisingly difficult… In fact, I thought “If this is a beginner riff, maybe bass isn’t for me”. I really should try it again sometime.

4 Likes

Nathan: “Hit Me!”
Lee: Plays tune flawlessly:

4 Likes

I assume you are being falsely modest! You are amazing!

Surprisingly despite being a metal fan my goal song is Rasputin by Boney M :grin:

2 Likes

Russia’s greatest love machine!

1 Like

Everything Jaco played on Joni Mitchell’s “Heijira”

3 Likes

My goal song is Everyday from the fantastic album Titanic Rising of the amazing Weyes Blood. Here is a great cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lFlFlqblDU. Gonna go back practicing now! :wink: Good luck everybody with your goal songs!

4 Likes

It’s a shame how he carried on!

2 Likes