What song are you currently/next "working on"?

ABBA bass lines are surprisingly challenging

1 Like

This is why I failed at guitar, but am succeeding at bass. Learning complete songs IMHO is really good for your playing. Recording yourself is even better. Why? Because you can’t bullshit yourself about if you’ve learned the song when you listen back to it.

3 Likes

Been working on this song now for almost two months. I really wanted to challenge myself, and wasn’t sure I’d even be able to learn it at this point in my bass journey, but I took it slow and have been able to make it to the final 30 seconds…which also happens to be the most challenging and intricate part of the song. I can’t wait to get a clean play through and am eagerly anticipating the dopamine :rofl:

If you haven’t listened to this album I HIGHLY encourage it. I am absolutely in love with the bass tone on this album and Graham Maby absolutely shines at the forefront of the mix in almost every track. My favorites are Sunday Papers, One More Time, Baby Stick Around, and Pretty Girls. I hope to learn them all in time.

Joe Jackson - Look Sharp! (1979)
Sunday Papers

5 Likes

I made a goal for myself that I was going to learn “warmup” songs and then at the end of a month learn a big one as kind of a capstone. I didn’t have one for November but this month was just to get ready for the December song because I had to learn how to record on the computer and also learn my way around a DAW and video editing software. So for December I’m working on Wake Up by Rage Against the Machine.

I have it down outside of some tricky bass fills in the verses and the build up to the bridge. I wanted to do this song because I wanted to challenge myself to be able to do longer songs with minimal to no mistakes.

1 Like

After learning “Sir Duke”, I felt like I was ready for one of my major goals I’ve had since I started: Dean Town. Not counting the 24 bars of 16th notes for the opening, I’m currently 16 bars in to the meat of the song. I’m trying to learn and memorize 2-4 bars a day. I currently have 16 bars to go until I get back into the other round of 16th notes…which are more challenging the second time around because it’s not just a repeating pattern there.

Without a doubt, the most technically challenging song I’ve learned so far.

1 Like

I’d like to hear it. I like that song.

1 Like

Hey @mr.crispy, I love the bum badum school of describing rhythm, for real. :slight_smile: :+1:

Cheers
Antonio

PS: I’m working on finding my version of the Irish song “Foggy Dew.” It’s challenging because there’s no standard version out there, so I have to make my own, however simple it’ll be. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Being into southern rock , at this time I’m working on Soulshine.

2 Likes

I’m trying to learn a new Blink 182 song ‘Edging’ by Monday evening for our jam session.

Currently playing around with the Darkglass B7k clone in the Hx One.

This is a cool little pedal.

8 Likes

Good for you @Barney! That’s great to hear your now jamming in a band. Is this first jam session or have you been playing together for a while ?

2 Likes

Just started @Glenn I’ve been to other jams but I live in the sticks so it’s difficult to find people.

I’ve been posting on various social platforms using my YouTube channel to get me some traction.

After 3 years of playing at home I need to play with others.

7 Likes

I hear you, I also live in the sticks away from the city life. Not quite at your level of play yet but working towards it. It just so good to read and hear peoples journey through the course and excelling afterwards. It’s got to be exciting now to be able to go out there and jam. Once again good for you and enjoy your jam session!

4 Likes

I’ve been working on Sir Duke for a couple of months now, lol. it’s not an easy song to play in 2 parts. I’m taking smaller bites at a time, lol.

This is the version I’m working on.

7 Likes

It’s great to have these long-term projects. I have been working on Palewell Park (Bill Bruford) for a while now, and might never get the whole thing done (just too challenging, but a great exercise) :crazy_face:
Here is a relatively recent attempt of the first halve of the tune (recorded just via the iPhone…) on the occasion of my 5th bassiversary:

4 Likes

Wow thats nice, I am working on this version. (1) SIR DUKE OFFICIAL by Stevie Wonder @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com Also working on
But I have to finish 50 song challenge before I can make it I think:- )

2 Likes

The song I’ve just started to learn is Muse - Muscle Museum. Got reminded of this song the other day and thought this could be a manageable one to learn!

2 Likes

In an effort to work on songs, a lot of my library has come from https://playbasslines.sellfy.store. Today, a $9.99 sale starts on some of the books (sales are sort of frequent). And to those who can’t wait to derail a post, transcribe if you like. I put this here for those who may be interested in a great source for reasonably priced tabs/notation, of some great artists of various genres. Instant PDF downloads.

9 Likes

There is indeed a LOT of stuff there, @booker_t - nice!

4 Likes

Thanks for the link Booker! Didn’t know this site existed.

3 Likes

And one that I have posted previously. Free Bass Transcriptions in standard notation and tabs has great free transcriptions. Standard notation followed by tabs for most selections. Totally free, but If you do like the large amount you see for free, you can make a donation (approx: $5 Euro), you get to download the entire catalog (over 4,000 pages of transcriptions over 2+ books, without the watermark. The only thing about over 4000 pages of transcriptions is there is no table of contents. They are alphabetical, but scrolling through to see all of the songs is a challenge each time you visit or try to check for one alphabetically.

Edit: Yesterday, @MikeC and @mr.crispy we talked about the Duck Dunn book. On the above site, there is a free Duck Dunn bass transcription on an entire Johnnie Taylor album at the top of the page.

6 Likes