What song are you currently/next "working on"?

and then some:-)

4 Likes

Was listening to music and heard this song last night and couldn’t help but pick the bass up and learn it.

Are You In - Incubus

Basically got the whole thing down but definitely some cleaning and perfecting still to do.

The next project will probably be

Creatures (For A While) - 311

I’ve only been playing bass for a couple of weeks so this one might take a little bit for the harder parts

3 Likes

David bowie-China girl.
What a great line. I can only do it at 90% right now. But I’ll get there. It’s a little difficult to stay relaxed enough to play through all of it mistake free. So I’ll keep plugging away at it, i can hear its there

2 Likes
1 Like

I’ve just started work on Floyd’s Money. A great riff that’s repeated…a lot. So not too difficult (so far). But it’s odd timing 7:4 with bits of 4:4 and 6:4 which is messing with my head a bit. Biggest difficulty with so many reps is knowing when to change. Figure I’ll need the vocals to cue the changes.

2 Likes

Man, that’s one complicated & long song! Looking forward to your cover video :slight_smile:

1 Like

Might take a while, though, as I said, the bass line does a lot of repeating of that main opening riff. We’ll see :laughing: :rofl:

Rhythm and syncopation are something I struggle with a little so I like to challenge myself. Figure it’s the best way to learn!

2 Likes

Taking the easy way out again. Carpet crawlers by genesis. Slow and steady, but it’s fun to win one once in a while.

3 Likes

I’ve been playing almost 4 years and there a whole lot of 311 songs I’m not even close to playing :joy:

3 Likes

Hah! I forgot I even posted that. I did end up learning Creatures two days ago funny enough… it ended up being a bit easier than I thought it would be, one of those songs that sound a bit more complicated than it actually is.

Which of their songs do you think have the hardest basslines? I really enjoy P-Nut’s style of playing I’d be interested to hear some of his cooler stuff

3 Likes

“Cali soca” is an amazing instrumental b-side.
“What was I thinking” has a cool slap line.
“I’ll be here a while” has a fun bassline. I haven’t tried to played it in a couple years. Probably doable now.
“It’s alright” is easy until it’s not. There’s a fast slap part in the bridge that I don’t understand at all.
“Born to Live” has a fun bassline too. I e been working on that one, but don’t have it down to an acceptable level yet.

1 Like

I’m currently working on a few songs, probably too many at once since I can’t seem to sit down and just perfect one of them at a time. Sort of just get frustrated and burned out from playing the same thing over and over again.

About 90% of the way through That’s Entertainment by The Jam, same with Love You Madly by Cake. Maybe 75% of the way through Italian Leather Sofa by Cake, and I actually just finished It’s My Life by No Doubt, just working on the mix and video editing for that one.

4 Likes

Hall and oates-you make my dreams come true.
Sounds great after all this time, super fun to play- plus heavy use of the rock fingers!

1 Like

Something new for me and a little different.
John Mayer-slow dancing in a burning room

2 Likes

I’ve never actually heard this song, or really any John Mayer-really not my preferred genre. But it was really easy to learn and it’s actually a lot of fun to play. Pretty easy to make it super dramatic.
Plus i was playing with the overdrive on it and it was kinda cool.

2 Likes

It took me a while to come around to JM. I heard his pop stuff and it just wasn’t really my thing, so I kinda ignored him. Then I kept hearing him mentioned in the same breath as Jimi and Stevie… which perplexed me so badly I took another look.

Holy crap, he has some serious chops. Saw him play live with Dead & Co. and he lit the place up. His work with the JM Trio (with Pino on bass!) is worth a listen.

Currently I’m working on Slither by Velvet Revolver. Duff is another guy I should have paid more attention to!

3 Likes

I started working on Evolve by The Warning. I’m polishing up the rock show where the biggest thing I had to practice was chugging eighth notes fast enough with a pick, and now I’m inspired to learn a song where the biggest challenge looks like it will be chugging eighth notes fast enough finger style :rofl:. There are a couple of really tasty riffs to make me enjoy the practice here though.

After that I think I’m learning something in an oddball drop tuning like indestructible by disturbed which I think is in drop C. Might need to look at heavier gauge strings lol.

4 Likes

Started learning Sultan’s of Swing yesterday. I think maybe I’m over my head ( bought my first bass four months ago), but it’s a fun song and I’m enjoying the challenge.

4 Likes

Huge fan of Cake. Still learning to read music and struggle to find any tabs for them online. Definitely a goal, though.

3 Likes

Chocolate, Yellow or Birthday?

1 Like