What song are you currently/next "working on"?

It keeps the fingers moving though which, although painful, is the best thing to do.

I don’t have arthritis but nerve damage in my neck (and the 2 other parts of the spine), I pay the price in hand and finger function if I haven’t played for a few days and when I pick up the bass again it can be painful the first few times while my fingers loosen up and are forced to work again (probably because of the nerve pain that I almost always have in one form or another and in various levels).

2 Likes

I get that, it doesn’t sound like many fun tickets. But if you are anything like me, it’s worth it. I’m never going to be in a band, no one wants my autograph to sell on ebay. I just do this for me. And days like today are good- because there i was, ruining a great police song when suddenly i found myself playing shake me by Cinderella. Head bobbing, toe-tapping dirty 80’s rock and roll. I probably look a fool, barefoot in the garage with a bass and a pair of headphones. And I’m good with that.:grin:

5 Likes

Malagueña Salerosa, as covered by Chingon

1 Like

Spacehog- in the meantime. Because i apparently want to really dislike my level of ability?

3 Likes

I forgot how great the bass is on this, not to mention the song itself. The first 2 perfect growly low notes are like the bass tone of my dreams. Go get it!

3 Likes

Oof.

So, my GF said, “You should learn the bassline to Badfish by Sublime!” Thinking not much more than “yeah, that’s a cool bassline”, I accepted the challenge. And a challenge it is, I can’t wrap my head around it.

This part I’ve got OK:

G:———————————————————————
D:——77—9—7—6—7———9/11h12—
A:—7————————————9————————
E:5————————————7—————————

I can’t match what I’m hearing against any tab I can find for it, and I can’t find the correct notes without the tab. This one’s going to be tough. :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

is that what my slides are supposed to sound like? :rofl:

3 Likes

not sure if its a cat or a fart

3 Likes

ABSOLUTELY!

1 Like

I followed up with “Just Like Heaven” to keep my Cure roll going!

1 Like

Crossroads (cream version) - but this is a long term project (which will probably never get finished…)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f975tWuhDw

4 Likes

Nice! Fun bassline to play. Lots of memories attached to that song, too. My bandmate and I covered it a while back for nostalgia.

3 Likes

Nice! Now i have to play that cure song. I really love this game. But now i gotta learn to play reclined. I’ll be a lazy boy in a la-z-boy… There’s a song in there somewhere, if only i could write them.

Today was duality by slipknot. And talk about a way to get unhappy with myself. I’m not fast enough with fingerstyle, and it’s clearly not snappy enough that way-so it’s picking time…
And friend and neighbors, Paul is simply terrible with a pick. But since i can’t buy a good picking technique, I’ll just have to work on mine.:unamused:

3 Likes

I hear ya. I couldn’t play anything with a pick to save my life, and I can’t slap either. Fortunately, plenty of great bass players play fingerstyle, so I think I’m in good company.

Duality by Slipknot is a great song, by the way. Hope you’ll post your cover of it some day.

4 Likes

I don’t post covers for a few different reasons. I’d like to say it’s due to me being a wanted man in at least seven different jurisdictions for robin hood type crimes, but that’s just a pipe dream.

First off, i have no illusions that im good with my bass. I’ve gotten better slowly, but I’m not ever going to be good-and that’s ok. Since it’s for fun, i don’t have any expectations of myself and any progress is celebrated.

Next is my complete inability to remember anything that isn’t in front of me. Meaning to play a song, i have to have the tab actively playing in front of me. If it’s not there, i May remember a phrase or two-but even that isn’t promised.

These are lame excuses, i get that. So I’ve been considering posting some on the practice fragments thread. I’ll have to consider it some and look into what i would need to do to get decent sound quality. Using a telephone doesn’t work, as the bass overpowers the microphone and it’s just awful. Either can’t be heard or over-modulated.

I love watching b2b players do the covers, and maybe one day I’ll feel like i can hold my own.

7 Likes

I too am “pick challenged” @autumnsdad1990
Just picked up the guitar again after 40 years and man I’m useless :joy:
I would love to post a few covers but even after watching @PamPurrs and @John_E excellent instructional video I still can’t get my stupid head around the mechanics of it!

5 Likes

So if the taught methods aren’t working, just try this:

Take the pick and hold it with your index finger and thumb in any way that feels comfortable to you (not necessarily the “right” way.) Now try.

The thing that takes a while to get down is the muting. You end up using kind of an instinctive combo of palm-like muting with the side of your thumb or other parts of your picking hand, and your free fretting fingers (as always). It is a good way to up your game muting with your left hand, actually.

But I always found that it’s more comfy for me to hold a pick slightly differently than the “recommended” ways. YMMV, and trying it your own way can’t hurt.

6 Likes

I’m more of a missing strings and I’m finding chords are a challenge due to the tightness of the string spacing.
As always practice is the key and now 2 hours a day is the norm (1 hour + for bass and up to an hour for guitar)
I’ve also found that my fretting hand position although adequate for my bass playing is not the best for guitar

2 Likes

The things that surprised me with guitar:

• The finger pain
  • How much more hand strength you need than you do with bass
  • Due to bass experience, lead lines/soloing are much easier than rhythm guitar
2 Likes