What song are you currently/next "working on"?

Working on PYT by Michael Jackson. The basic bassline isn’t overly hard but it’s great for practicing tight, syncopated rhythm. Maybe in 5 years I’ll be able to try the cool slap bit too :joy:

3 Likes

Nice @fennario - Hysteria is another of my working on it songs, it’s a bit beyond me though. I can just about string most of the notes together but at half speed if that. One day … !

4 Likes

I eventually got to where I could do the main riff at full speed but just barely and only for a few bars, at which point I’d become kind of bored with it and moved on :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve been playing though the main riff for as long as I can manage to do it as an endurance exercise. I’ve been bad, though, and not playing with a metronome or a backing track. Bad bassist. Bad bassist.

I’ll continue these, but decided I need to slow down and emphasize smoothness, good muting, and improving my time feel rather than playing a fast song sloppily. So I’ve decided to give the BassBuzz 50 songs challenge a go and methodically work my way through. It’s been a while since I’ve actually recorded a cover.

7 Likes

Currently working on a song called “I Wanna Hold You” by a band called McFly. During covid the band posted some “masterclass” videos where they showed you how to play some of their songs on guitar, drums and bass. Dougie Poynter (the bassist) goes through the bass line of this song. He’s not the greatest teacher as sometimes he skims over bits but for the most part, its quite in depth all things considered. And I really love knowing what he is actually playing as opposed to reading a tab that someone has just guessed at.

4 Likes

Candlemass-at the gallows end
Never heard of this before, but found it on songsterr. Just a blast to play. It’s good fun.
But Then i listened to the song…

I won’t disparage any band. Folks work hard to make that music, giving everything you got to record that track is a big deal.
But i can’t do this one, i just really can’t😂

1 Like

So I found out tonight that Debbie Googe from My Bloody Valentine is a way better bassist than I am. I’m kinda determined to get Only Shallow down because it’s an awesome bassline. I can sorta handle it at 50% but one of the chords is kicking my butt.

4 Likes

I am trying to imagine being Kevin Shields’ bass player.

1 Like

Needs to be played with a pick too!

1 Like

The best way to play :rofl:

3 Likes

I tried … and the pick was either flying across the room or I missed the strings and almost put my eye out :slight_smile:

Will repeat B2B with a pick though … soon-ish!

2 Likes

It does depend on style. For Motown it would not be so good.

But for post-punk, punk, metal, goth, industrial, ebm, etc - picking is pretty much the standard.

1 Like

Whether or not to use a plectrum (I’m British) is surely a function of the song and the tone you’re trying to achieve.

I recorded another cover this morning, well, re-recorded it for the 3rd or 4th time as I was not happy with the tone. Today, I rather than use an overdriven sound (the song is pretty rocky), I recorded 2 x clean tracks, using fingers, then one, again clean, but using a plectrum to get the attack, then mixed them together. Finally, I have a tone I like for this particular song!

3 Likes

Yes, absolutely. That and personal preference.

2 Likes

:scream:

1 Like

Today I’m going back to basics. Cath by death cab for cutie. After 2 days of bowie basslines, it’s a nice change.

1 Like

Thank you, because i love random inspiration. I’ve found a lot of new stuff to play in this thread, and it never disappoints. I’ve never heard This band, but i just sampled some of their stuff and got like 8 or 10 new things to play. That one you are talking about looks fun to play. I’ll be trying that this weekend.

2 Likes

GnR Paradise City for me this week

2 Likes

Really fun one to play, busy but not a lot of notes.

6 Likes

Love this song. I just finished transcribing it on GP8 and ready to start playing. My drummer and Guitarist kept asking me to get this song on as they want to play it. I want to play the drums on this one. Heck, the guitar is so awesome too.

2 Likes