What will you be playing today?

Last night I was messing around with “Here Comes Your Man”; most of the tabs I found are just not good, but I was able to come up with something that worked. I’ll probably work on it some more tonight.

Love that video so much. Apparently the band isn’t a fan of this song and the producer made them do a video for it. Not sure which one cracks me up the most - probably Joey Santiago or Kim Deal.

1 Like

Will do.
Was it ‘Germ Free Adolescence’ by any chance?
Great tune :+1:

1 Like

I’ve been getting into the band Khruangbin lately. Going to try “August 10” and maybe " Evan finds the Third Room" today. Seems easy enough in video lessons and tab sites. I like this bands style.

(Khruangbin - August 10 (Live on KEXP) - YouTube)

2 Likes

LOL…on comes YES “Roundabout” and I just say NOPE… and enjoy Chris Squires awesomeness…lol

3 Likes

relaxing but working hard with

2 Likes

I’m in the reading music section and working on Billie Jean - Hard a few times a day. Almost there on that.

3 Likes

I -think- it was Oh Bondage Up Yours.

2 Likes

Ah ok thanks - I’d forgotten that one.
I never saw that band. I saw The Pistols and The Clash and the Banshees and some of the others, but not that one.

2 Likes

I would have loved to see those bands. I even played Pistols and Clash songs in a band back in the day. I had never even heard of X-Ray Spex before the other night. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Check out ‘Germ Free Adolescence’ if you haven’t already. It’s a great song.

1 Like

I haven’t used iMovie in many years, but this is what I do in Final Cut which I imagine will work -

1. Throw video and audio in the timeline
  2. Approximate audio position roughly
  3. Zoom in tight at the beginning of where you start playing
  4. Find the frame where your PLUCKING finger goes from on the string (pre-pluck) to off the string (post-pluck)
  5. Drag the audio so the transient starts right on that frame

Voilà! Close enough for human eyes and ears! And better than some multi-million dollar Hollywood productions that weren’t edited by musicians. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Yeah that’s the classic way to do it for sure. I had reasonable luck when I tried the sync audio but that requires a similar audio track from both the camera and the recoded audio, which you don’t always have.

2 Likes

Thanks, @JoshFossgreen - that is finally how I approached it as well… seems to work reasonably well :+1:

2 Likes

Today I am working through Module 8 again. I’m still trying to get back to the level I was at going into Module 12.

Lately I’ve been getting headaches when I use the computer for more than half an hour so it limits what I can do with the lesson videos, and because I (have to) play through headphones the noise of even just my playing is enough to make it worse.

6 Likes

today I will continue working on a progressive metal cover I started a few days ago. not a very satisfying experience, this might be my last prog metal thing for a while (I’m not much into this sub-genre / even if post-metal is not so far really). anyway I have to finish this cover before I can switch to something else.

4 Likes

Today, I thought I’d stir it up and play a little Bob Marley. Definitely having fun with grooving along with that one, and there’s only like 2 parts to get :rofl:

2 Likes

Maintenance Man by Lanny… This is when I clean and oil up the fretboards and necks on my bass’s.

I have to do this every so often especially when I notice the neck and fretboard string action starting to get a little too fast. I know, sounds a bit weird, but when my hands, fingers, fretboard and neck all get too dry, everything is just too ‘slick’ and it gets difficult to anchor my fretting hand, and solidly fret notes - especially when I’m playing fast note changes up and down the neck.

3 Likes

I will be continuing Module 4 today. Up till now all the modules were pretty easy…but now I am finding that what I predicted to be true. I need to slow down some and really soak in what Josh is laying down. I wont let it hold me up…but Ill definitely do a few run troughs until I either get it or resign myself to come back latter.

Chugging is proving to be quite the dexterity challenge to stay in time…

5 Likes

You’re heading towards Billie Jean, and a B2B right of passage. Don’t worry if you find it tricky - everybody does. It’s kind of the point.

5 Likes

yeah but it’s very satisfying once you get it :sunglasses: I love that feeling of being driving a locomotive !

3 Likes