What will you be playing today?

Anybody setting themselves a B2B course target for the day? Some structured practice? How about a cover version recorded for our pleasure? Maybe a new song you’re working on? Or just noodling around on the strings?

3 Likes

While I have a bit of time today, I was trying to see how hard/easy it would be to record myself playing via Garageband, videotape myself with the iPhone and then try to get both tracks sync’ed in iMovie

Maybe there is an easy trick to do this reliably that I don’t know about, but so far it is all manual adjusting until the two track “look” to be in sync…

5 Likes

Not sure about iMovie but Final Cut has a “sync audio” command.

You could just do the trick everyone used to do - do something in the video that generates a sharp transient (slap bass, etc) and line up the transient attack in the exported GarageBand audio waveform with the video frame (or better, the original phone audio track.) Still manual but you can get pretty close to perfect that way.

5 Likes

nothing today (not at home), but tomorrow I will very probably play with the Bass POD Pro to find my sound more in details :grin: I have some ideas to explore …

@joergkutter that’s great, we expect to see video covers very soon :face_with_monocle: the sync part is not so tricky, I do it manually for each of my covers and it doesn’t take more than a few minutes. it’s probably not 100% perfect but I find it’s OK for this purpose :grin:

3 Likes

I don’t think it has, and Final Cut is a bit too pricey for me…

Yeah, that is probably the best way forward… I just hadn’t figured out what I’d use as clapping doesn’t work with GarageBand… so obvious to slappa da bass, d’oh :joy:

@terb: I knew you were going to say that :grin: I’ll see what evolves and post a video, if you tell us the one bass players that most inspires you (see other thread :wink:)

2 Likes

Today, I will mostly be playing through Module 7, 8 & 9.

This is because I’m running through most of the course again (M3 onwards) to get back into my groove before pressing on to the end. I stalled at Module 12 and lost some of my skillz.

So bring on some major scale jazz improv, a flurry of chord & arpeggio deconstruction, and a minor minor scale review.

4 Likes

I’m sure your method is much better, but if you just want something quick and dirty, you can use Photo Booth on Apple computers/devices. I’ve used it before. It’s not incredible, but I was just using the built-in Mac mic as well. I think with a decent mic connected it might do the trick. Again though, I’m sure if you want to do it properly it will be better!

2 Likes

I had the day to myself since early this morning since my wife went up north to Atlanta to our nieces baby shower. I was suppose to go too but needed the entire day to complete my Valentines gift for my wife. Since we’re both retired, it’s a bit hard to have time alone to do things I don’t want her to know about. Anyway, if you’ve seen my last cover of “My Girl”, that was just a decoy cover (my wife knows all my songs and covers). You see, I used the old video recording of the Tempt’s as a placeholder for a photo slide show that I wanted to put together as a Valentines gift for my wife. Took me all day, and just finished.

10 Likes

Awww, what a sweetie.

My day didn’t go to plan. Didn’t pick up the bass and have hardly had an hour without a headache all day. Gah! Maybe tomorrow…

4 Likes

I use iMovie for all of my cover videos and import the song I created in GarageBand into the iMovie. I then sync by matching the sound file portion of the movie to the song created in GB.

5 Likes

I might do that too, maybe this summer or when I’ll have more time. I don’t know really why but I think it might be interesting to do the course again a bit latter to see what could happen ! I’m a curious guy :grin:

no, I don’t think you can get a decent sound and do a proper mix like this. maybe as an experiment because why not, and because every great thing that happen in music is probably somewhat an experiment :grin: but this won’t likely work well. again, you’re welcome to try … but I don’t think it’s the right way to record a line.

well if for example you record a cover with the built-in mic of your computer, you’re very welcome to post it on the dedicated thread. but I don’t think you’ll get a good result this way.

for me, it’s a “no”.

didn’t knew this thing ever existed :grin:

more seriously, I love what you did and the way you mixed your passion with a thing your wife will very certainly love. that’s cute as f*ck :+1: 'love it

2 Likes

Nice job Lanny… bet the wife will be touched!

My plans today…accomplished. Played through Module 3 of Beginner to Bad ass and started Module 4 (2 weeks ahead of the 6 month plan now…but have a feeling Im going to slow down soon…I like to really soak in the harder stuff!). Also played “The Jack” from AC/DC as a cool down, and noodled around with Rocksmith 2014 being as I just got my BIGSHOT ABY box today so I can play thru my PC and AMP and REALLY hear how great I am (read …i can really hear how much more I need to practice…lol)

6 Likes

Totally agree - and, sorry, never replied to @JT on this. You should only record via an audio interface and the appropriate recording software! Sure, for some quick and dirty tests perhaps, but obviously not if you ever want to get a cover into @terb’s thread :grin:

1 Like

No, it’s not for mixing or anything proper. I used to do it just for others to provide feedback on my guitar playing on a similar site to this. It’s ok for that. That is as much the video as the sound.

2 Likes

I’m listening to digital radio and attempting to play along with whatever random song comes along. If I can work out the groove, great, but at a minimum I’m trying to work out the chord progression. If I still have time, I’ll try adding some of my own fills. Then the next song comes on and I start again! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That is really good practice to do. And once you know the chord progressions, try to figure out the key of the song too.

I personally don’t do enough of this…

2 Likes

I don’t do anywhere near enough of this, and really should.

3 Likes

Yeah it sounds challenging for sure.

2 Likes

Today mkII: hopefully I’ll rip through Module 7 (and as a [bonus] get a little noodling in too) as long as the headache doesn’t return.

Sunday always feels like a background jazz trio sort of day.

2 Likes

Give it a try. Last night I was playing along to some oldies on an overnight video clip show on TV in Australia called “rage”. A song by an old UK punk band called X-Ray Spex came on. Never heard of them before but I had so much fun playing along I jumped on the computer and ordered their CD.

3 Likes