What Would You Like To See In The Next Course

These are more website suggestions than course suggestions as I trust Josh all the way on the curriculum side! (I’m not sure how much control you have over these changes but from a development perspective they’re not too complex. Well, at least not the first one. :nerd_face: )

• Make current module/lesson/part navigable. e.g. I want to be able to click on “Module 9” here and be taken to the Home page with Module 9 slid open. Going back through the course, I’m doing a lot of jumping around and when going from slow => medium => fast workouts requires a lot of clicks to get back. Either that, or I have to mouse over “Lessons” and click on “My Lessons” every time which breaks my flow! Also it’s easy to lose my place once I do arrive back on the home page since it just takes me to the top of the page.

• Allow me to go to next (and also maybe previous) video while video is fullscreened (either at the end of the video or during, ideally both!). After finishing up a video, which I almost always watch fullscreen, I gotta scoot my chair back to my keyboard to hit the escape button to exit fullscreen, and then navigate to the next video. Again, breaks my flow a bit

These are just small quality of life changes that wouldn’t make or break the course, but would it make it a bit smoother :slight_smile:

7 Likes

THIS! please … I thought that it’s just me and my laziness, but it seems that it’s just a flaw in UX.

5 Likes

Thanks @RoyB, very helpful feedback and definitely on the agenda for future site/UX improvements!

5 Likes

I did a little searching, and I think that’s possibly a “Gstyle” bass.

2 Likes

I was just looking at my course results online for which lessons I had completed before I had to take a break, because “life.” I’d completed up through lesson one of Module 15, so I plan on starting over just to refresh, and really finish it once I’ve restarted. I’m looking forward to it, because it is a great course!

But one suggestion: would it be possible to somehow incorporate dates with the checkmarks for completing a lesson/workout into the online course? I even checked the comments, but didn’t see dates there either. I know I should have made my own notes, but if there is a way to include dates, it would be nice for the absent-minded among us.

4 Likes

Hey @Never2Late, moved your post from the Beginner to Badass Reviews? :guitar: thread since it’s more of a feedback/suggestion than a review of your whole experience.

Thanks for the suggestion! There isn’t currently a way to do that, so you’d have to make little notes on your course schedule manually. I like the idea, noted for the future!

6 Likes

I would love some gear and effects talk. I would love to know what, if any, effects you use for live and studio use. Also, the 50 songs were an incredible help, I would love 50 more, perhaps a little more difficult?

Also, I sure wouldn’t mind of you went more into theory and reading notation. It’s the tough stuff sometimes but always worth it.

And more Ramones. Always more Ramones.

5 Likes

Hey @rockygvc,

Here’s some of @JoshFossgreen’s pedal-mania.

Caution: this video cost me a lot of $$$$.

6 Likes

Oh this is awesome, how did I miss this one?

4 Likes

Hello world!
Thank you for the course, Josh! I often start a practice session by watching a video or doing a workout because then I become motivated, even if I wasn’t before! :hugs:

I’d love to have kind of midi player that just keeps looping the workouts. If you’ve ever seen Fender Play, you know what I mean. It has two great features that I’d love to see in a future platform:

1. you can favourite exercises
  2. you can replay them infinitely

What Fender Play is missing is putting the exercise on the same page as the lesson video and organizing the favourites. I kind of dream of a practice routine that I can build from the various videos. Right now, I keep jumping from bookmark to bookmark in my browser, which is a fine workaround.

I tried to find it in the comments, if I overlooked it, please forgive me!
Viele Grüße
Antonio

PS: I am also reading Talent Is Overrated, a great accompaniment to Josh’s course. Right now, I could use a pep talk, because I sometimes feel like “if only I had known these things earlier in life…” (:

6 Likes

Thanks for the ideas @antonio , I would love to slick up our features like that! Definitely noted.

5 Likes

Hi Josh,

I finished B2B (one month plan) and immediately repeated it again. I’m halfway through the second pass. To answer your specific questions:

- What topics would you like to explore in the next course?

Honestly, whatever you think is best for people to know. Which sounds too simple an answer, but I have complete faith in you as a teacher to structure the next course as well as B2B, to teach me/us where to go next.

I personally would like to explore more genres, so perhaps some lessons covering the basics for say metal, reggae, punk, disco etc. Not jazz, bwahaha…You can tailor your t-shirts to the lessons! What else… lessons about things like intervals, arpeggios, playing higher up (eg 16th+ frets, I have lots of trouble with). Tapping basics (similar to slap in B2B).

- What would you like more of that you liked in B2B? More improv? Reading? Theory? Song lessons?

I really enjoy the three workouts for a given lesson/song so I hope that continues. The way you taught theory was great-- directly applying it to playing in the lesson, rather than simply talking at us about theory stuff.

I’m looking at the 1 month schedule printout and thinking a schedule without the time frame printed on top, or without the ‘day 1’ etc labels would be good, for people who just want to go at their own pace and not the 30 etc days. But still like to check off boxes. Apologies if you have this already.

Having you explain finger placement and plucking order is really helpful.

I would like to see you wearing Rush t-shirts.

Your encouragement and humour throughout B2B really is uplifting, so definitely keep that up especially during lessons like Billie Jean.

- Now that you’ve finished the course and have the sweet skills you now have, what’s the next accomplishment you want help with? Playing your first gig? Being able to take solos?

To feel confident, or ‘good enough’ to play with others. I would like to play in a relaxed non-gig type setting. Every time I see community festivals or local markets happening and there are local musicians playing short sets, I think “I wonder if I can do that one day”.

What I DON’T want to see (which are not in B2B but other teaching platforms do this and it’s so distracting):

• annoying music playing when you are talking
  • shifting camera angles that change from you looking direct to camera then not at camera (like the Drumeo lessons that are driving me nuuuuuts with this).

Edit to add: counting us in before playing something is really helpful. On Drumeo (so far) you don’t get counted in so it’s frustrating if you miss it and have to rewind. I also like that B2B has numerous attempts at playing something. On Drumeo, something is demonstrated, you play it for a very short period of time in the lesson (without being counted in) and it’s “great, now let’s move on”. And yes, you are told to practice it for homework, so to speak, but it’s in stark contrast to B2B where at the end of a lesson you have more confidence than what I feel with Drumeo lessons.

No pressure, as I know it’s a huge undertaking, but like most others here I think a new course you create would be awesome.

5 Likes

I agree with you. Needed this 40 yrs. Ago

3 Likes

It’s just a little thing. I’m currently at module 7 of the course. It’s a shame that Josh’s bass doesn’t have any inlays on the fretboard. Please don’t repeat the “mistake” in the next course :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good luck with that :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Haha, yep, facepalm! Will never do that to you again. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I just arrived at the slap-o-dule. I think instead of a new course you could do a little longer units focused on skills like this, because the module is way too short to learn slap. So my idea would be like the skill tree in ye olden games:
ShapeShiftingSkills

Personally, I like having real riffs in the course. So maybe you would dig up beginner slap lines and then go on to more and more difficult ones, so that the module becomes a clinic in slapping.

Although slapping might be too niche, and I am aware that other instructors are doing this stuff already.

6 Likes

More than most things, in the next course I’d like to see the next course.

13 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion @antonio ! The real question is - can druids still slap the bass when in bear form, and does it change any FCR breakpoints?

@MC-Canadastan ZING :stuck_out_tongue: me too!

9 Likes

I really enjoyed the course but the one thing that I always struggled with was on what and how to practice beyond going to the exercises in each chapter. Some sort of guide on how to practice would be great.

7 Likes