What Would You Like To See In The Next Course

Nice looking bass! Is that a switch you can barely see below the bridge?

With five knobs and what looks like a switch there’s a few possibilities. One common configuration would be:

Master volume, Pickup balance, Bass, Midrange, Treble; switch active/passive

Another (less common) would be:

Front pickup volume, Back volume, Bass, Mids, Treble; Switch active/passive

The switch could also be something like a pickup mode switch (split/parallel), or a midrange frequency switch. These are usually 3-way.

What do they do when you play with them?

6 Likes

@howard nope no switch I think that was a reflection. After mucking around with the knobs, with your suggestions in mind, I do believe you hit the nail on the head. Thanks, I set everything flat anyway so all cool. :+1:

4 Likes

@JoshFossgreen
I was thinking about this ‘next course’ thing more…
I think the vast majority of folks who get through BassBuzz get to the end and are like “ok, now what?”. Although there are a finite number of areas to focus on, with almost infinite exercises or iterations of ways to learn them, what’s missing out in the world is a fairly simple breakdown of these more finite areas, why they are important, what you get out of them, and, super importantly, how they relate to each other and someone’s every day application.
Some folks just want to play in their basement, some folks want to join a band, some want to make cover videos. Some want to learn how to read music, some want to understand theory, some want to write music.

Maybe it’s not a course per se, maybe it’s a capstone or coda to BassBuzz, but a really good organized overview of different ways to go and benefits would help folks I think.

I remember a thread here on ‘why should I learn music theory’ or ‘why should I learn how to read music’….if I just ant to play tunes.

Maybe a grouping of topics by application?
Some very dopey examples…

I want to write my own music -

• pursue x, y, z (scales, chords, chord tones, sight reading, ear training, theory)
    I want to jam to some covers I can find online
  • work on a, b c (clean plucking, groove, etc)
    I want to play very well technically
  • work on muting, ghost notes, harmonics, tapping, slap, tempo reading?

Some dopey examples for sure, but I feel like people spend an awful lot of time wondering what to do instead of doing efficiently.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

7 Likes

@John_E Not dopey at all mate makes perfect sense, to me anyway . . . Oh in that case it could well be dopey LOL. I found and use the ‘Musescore’ site and app that goes with it and I have been able to do ‘all of the above’ check it out, see if it is of help for you.
Cheers Robb

4 Likes

@NipperDog I have transcribed the original with tab if you want it. Follow along via musescore. Tempo can be altered to suit you. You could learn it then play along with Tommy. I can send you the link.
Cheers Robb
p.s. I’m now working on tabbing Tommy’s version.

3 Likes

The next course…
Speaking for myself it would not help to learn full songs. It just eates up a lot of teaching time. When the difficult parts will be highlighted in the course it is no problem to learn the full song.

I would like to learn more about the typical bass play in different styles. We had brief looks at Bossa Nova and Reggae in B2B, but I would love to learn more Jazz basics, walking bass lines and more Latin rhythms.

A trip trough the music styles would be great. Eyes on the essentials in every style and on the dos and donts. Motown, Soul, Pop, Reggae and some R&B of course. Melodically and rhythmically opposing bass lines in different styles.

Next is Rock basics. Standard Rock bass rhythms, shifted eights, how to use triplets to strengthen the groove, playing before and after the drums… all that stuff.

IMHO good groove is the main thing to become an advanced bass player. Terribly complicated slap lines make no one dance, good groove makes people dance, clap and jump. Teach us groove, @JoshFossgreen !

8 Likes

Groove, that’s an idea to build the sequel, I like it, I think it makes sense @thomas , intermediate level is a lot of stuff, too much to pack in one course I think, and there are already other courses out there teaching intermediate level concepts that people can choose base on specific goals…. but if it’s about groove you can tackle whatever area of knowledge you think it’s important/appropriate and have a successful program, I think that would align more with your teaching style @JoshFossgreen it would be interactive applied knowledge, not just a bunch of theory to make a curriculum, anybody can google scales, arpeggios, circles, etc and memorize but groove not so much and everybody needs/wants to get those fingers moving, that’s why we’re here
Edit: and that’s a concept that you can build an app, that’d fit nicely

5 Likes

Thanks @robbaus , I found a version online that I’ve been working on. Thanks again! :beers:

3 Likes

…and some of that Bach that Josh plays!

5 Likes

…not being cheeky either. I’d love to learn how to approach Bach on the bass. @JoshFossgreen ,if not the next course, maybe a little something on your other channel on how to get started, recommended pieces to start out with, etc. I always wondered, when I saw the Bach books in the background on some of your videos.

6 Likes

These are more website suggestions than course suggestions as I trust Josh all the way on the curriculum side! (I’m not sure how much control you have over these changes but from a development perspective they’re not too complex. Well, at least not the first one. :nerd_face: )

• Make current module/lesson/part navigable. e.g. I want to be able to click on “Module 9” here and be taken to the Home page with Module 9 slid open. Going back through the course, I’m doing a lot of jumping around and when going from slow => medium => fast workouts requires a lot of clicks to get back. Either that, or I have to mouse over “Lessons” and click on “My Lessons” every time which breaks my flow! Also it’s easy to lose my place once I do arrive back on the home page since it just takes me to the top of the page.

• Allow me to go to next (and also maybe previous) video while video is fullscreened (either at the end of the video or during, ideally both!). After finishing up a video, which I almost always watch fullscreen, I gotta scoot my chair back to my keyboard to hit the escape button to exit fullscreen, and then navigate to the next video. Again, breaks my flow a bit

These are just small quality of life changes that wouldn’t make or break the course, but would it make it a bit smoother :slight_smile:

7 Likes

THIS! please … I thought that it’s just me and my laziness, but it seems that it’s just a flaw in UX.

5 Likes

Thanks @RoyB, very helpful feedback and definitely on the agenda for future site/UX improvements!

5 Likes

I did a little searching, and I think that’s possibly a “Gstyle” bass.

2 Likes

I was just looking at my course results online for which lessons I had completed before I had to take a break, because “life.” I’d completed up through lesson one of Module 15, so I plan on starting over just to refresh, and really finish it once I’ve restarted. I’m looking forward to it, because it is a great course!

But one suggestion: would it be possible to somehow incorporate dates with the checkmarks for completing a lesson/workout into the online course? I even checked the comments, but didn’t see dates there either. I know I should have made my own notes, but if there is a way to include dates, it would be nice for the absent-minded among us.

4 Likes

Hey @Never2Late, moved your post from the Beginner to Badass Reviews? :guitar: thread since it’s more of a feedback/suggestion than a review of your whole experience.

Thanks for the suggestion! There isn’t currently a way to do that, so you’d have to make little notes on your course schedule manually. I like the idea, noted for the future!

6 Likes

I would love some gear and effects talk. I would love to know what, if any, effects you use for live and studio use. Also, the 50 songs were an incredible help, I would love 50 more, perhaps a little more difficult?

Also, I sure wouldn’t mind of you went more into theory and reading notation. It’s the tough stuff sometimes but always worth it.

And more Ramones. Always more Ramones.

5 Likes

Hey @rockygvc,

Here’s some of @JoshFossgreen’s pedal-mania.

Caution: this video cost me a lot of $$$$.

6 Likes

Oh this is awesome, how did I miss this one?

4 Likes

Hello world!
Thank you for the course, Josh! I often start a practice session by watching a video or doing a workout because then I become motivated, even if I wasn’t before! :hugs:

I’d love to have kind of midi player that just keeps looping the workouts. If you’ve ever seen Fender Play, you know what I mean. It has two great features that I’d love to see in a future platform:

1. you can favourite exercises
  2. you can replay them infinitely

What Fender Play is missing is putting the exercise on the same page as the lesson video and organizing the favourites. I kind of dream of a practice routine that I can build from the various videos. Right now, I keep jumping from bookmark to bookmark in my browser, which is a fine workaround.

I tried to find it in the comments, if I overlooked it, please forgive me!
Viele Grüße
Antonio

PS: I am also reading Talent Is Overrated, a great accompaniment to Josh’s course. Right now, I could use a pep talk, because I sometimes feel like “if only I had known these things earlier in life…” (:

6 Likes