What Would You Like To See In The Next Course

Thanks for the ideas @antonio , I would love to slick up our features like that! Definitely noted.

5 Likes

Hi Josh,

I finished B2B (one month plan) and immediately repeated it again. I’m halfway through the second pass. To answer your specific questions:

- What topics would you like to explore in the next course?

Honestly, whatever you think is best for people to know. Which sounds too simple an answer, but I have complete faith in you as a teacher to structure the next course as well as B2B, to teach me/us where to go next.

I personally would like to explore more genres, so perhaps some lessons covering the basics for say metal, reggae, punk, disco etc. Not jazz, bwahaha…You can tailor your t-shirts to the lessons! What else… lessons about things like intervals, arpeggios, playing higher up (eg 16th+ frets, I have lots of trouble with). Tapping basics (similar to slap in B2B).

- What would you like more of that you liked in B2B? More improv? Reading? Theory? Song lessons?

I really enjoy the three workouts for a given lesson/song so I hope that continues. The way you taught theory was great-- directly applying it to playing in the lesson, rather than simply talking at us about theory stuff.

I’m looking at the 1 month schedule printout and thinking a schedule without the time frame printed on top, or without the ‘day 1’ etc labels would be good, for people who just want to go at their own pace and not the 30 etc days. But still like to check off boxes. Apologies if you have this already.

Having you explain finger placement and plucking order is really helpful.

I would like to see you wearing Rush t-shirts.

Your encouragement and humour throughout B2B really is uplifting, so definitely keep that up especially during lessons like Billie Jean.

- Now that you’ve finished the course and have the sweet skills you now have, what’s the next accomplishment you want help with? Playing your first gig? Being able to take solos?

To feel confident, or ‘good enough’ to play with others. I would like to play in a relaxed non-gig type setting. Every time I see community festivals or local markets happening and there are local musicians playing short sets, I think “I wonder if I can do that one day”.

What I DON’T want to see (which are not in B2B but other teaching platforms do this and it’s so distracting):

• annoying music playing when you are talking
  • shifting camera angles that change from you looking direct to camera then not at camera (like the Drumeo lessons that are driving me nuuuuuts with this).

Edit to add: counting us in before playing something is really helpful. On Drumeo (so far) you don’t get counted in so it’s frustrating if you miss it and have to rewind. I also like that B2B has numerous attempts at playing something. On Drumeo, something is demonstrated, you play it for a very short period of time in the lesson (without being counted in) and it’s “great, now let’s move on”. And yes, you are told to practice it for homework, so to speak, but it’s in stark contrast to B2B where at the end of a lesson you have more confidence than what I feel with Drumeo lessons.

No pressure, as I know it’s a huge undertaking, but like most others here I think a new course you create would be awesome.

5 Likes

I agree with you. Needed this 40 yrs. Ago

3 Likes

It’s just a little thing. I’m currently at module 7 of the course. It’s a shame that Josh’s bass doesn’t have any inlays on the fretboard. Please don’t repeat the “mistake” in the next course :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good luck with that :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Haha, yep, facepalm! Will never do that to you again. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I just arrived at the slap-o-dule. I think instead of a new course you could do a little longer units focused on skills like this, because the module is way too short to learn slap. So my idea would be like the skill tree in ye olden games:
ShapeShiftingSkills

Personally, I like having real riffs in the course. So maybe you would dig up beginner slap lines and then go on to more and more difficult ones, so that the module becomes a clinic in slapping.

Although slapping might be too niche, and I am aware that other instructors are doing this stuff already.

6 Likes

More than most things, in the next course I’d like to see the next course.

13 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion @antonio ! The real question is - can druids still slap the bass when in bear form, and does it change any FCR breakpoints?

@MC-Canadastan ZING :stuck_out_tongue: me too!

9 Likes

I really enjoyed the course but the one thing that I always struggled with was on what and how to practice beyond going to the exercises in each chapter. Some sort of guide on how to practice would be great.

7 Likes

Hi @JoshFossgreen ,

as soon as I have graduated and became an official Badass here I started looking around for next course. Looked for reviews/experiences, checked free material, even registered for a few ones - and have to admit the “magic” you bring (approach, style, explanations, methods etc.) are extremely unique. What I want to say is I’ll enroll as soon as am informed on the next course!
For now I’ll stick with SBL (as Ian Allison has somehow similar vibe matching Josh’s the most based on my research) and TBH even enjoying it, just… Miss something I had here and nowhere else in my life for any topic’s any course.

Bottom line: please continue (NOW! :joy:), suggestion from my side is to do thematic courses/lessons (after all we all are preferring specific genres over the others, right?): Motown, R’n’B, blues, soul, reggae - ultimately ending up at jazz. What to cover inside these? Sound (pickup/amp side! - I love how Ian always shares this part), rhythm (specific to given genre), chord progression, structure etc.

I know it’s not much and not unique - but hey, just grabbed the bass 2 months ago so how should I know, right? :laughing:

Just… Keep up the good work, let’s get to the next level together and I’m a happy guy :guitar:

5 Likes

This was way back in 2018…are there any plans for another course? I need structured videos/lessons for me to keep on track.

4 Likes

I’d like to see a course with a focus solely on slap. You did a great intro in your B2B course but I would love to see you apply your fantastic teaching style to a bit more advanced slap stuff.

5 Likes

My one request for the new Bassbuzz program would be to add all of the tablature to the hard copy materials that come with the dvds.

I would find it very useful to access the tablature without having to pause the dvd to try and figure out the tab.

So please @JoshFossgreen , give us a hard copy of the tabs!

I would even pay for a hard copy of the tablature included in the current Beginner to Badass program.

6 Likes

I’d like to see lessons on position shifting, such as in the bass lines for Ziggy Stardust and Running Away.

4 Likes

I’m less than a week in to B2BA and only on lesson 15, but I already starting to think, ‘what comes after this…?’ @JoshFossgreen, will there be second course? :metal:

5 Likes

Search the forum, we have a few after bassbuzz topics that cover this in great detail and are very helpful, like this one…

The 50 song challenge thread here is also a good way to expand on every single thing you are learning.

Or, you could hold your breath for course #2 from Josh, as long as you are interested in turning blue.

5 Likes

Thanks John. I’m new here, so haven’t fully scoured the forum!

It would be fantastic if there were second course as I’m really enjoying the style/approach of B2BA, in that it’s helping a non-musician ‘get it’, in nice, bite sized chunks :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Oh hello there,

I just finished the course and like everyone else here, I’m super grateful I found it. As someone with a desire to practice every day but not a lot of free time, I appreciate how you pair relentless optimism with practical lesson planning. Your super power is translating music theory into fun, immediately actionable exercises - you’re like the Neil deGrasseTyson of music theory for bass.

What topics would you like to see explored in the next course:

Chord tones - their shapes on the bass, an overview of more complicated chords beyond basic major and minor triads, and how to read chord charts.

Along those lines, a module on improvising walking bass lines would intrigue me because it would incorporate so many different aspects of theory and technique. For the record, I’m not even someone who wants to become a jazz bass player, I’ve just noticed that the fundamentals of jazz seem to make my ear and playing better no matter what kind of music I try to play.

A broad overview of different styles that incorporate some of the more advanced rhythm (16 note feel) and left hand articulation techniques (muting, hammer ons and pull offs, faster shifting on the neck - stuff that you touched on briefly in the masterclass section of this course) within the context of different musical styles. You go into this on your YouTube channel, but the way you organized this course to build in difficulty was very motivating to me and took a lot of the guess work out of it. I enjoy having my horizons widened to genres that I’m not instinctively drawn to on my own.

What Would You Like More Of?

The improv lessons were really freeing and in any course you decide to create, I’d appreciate lessons that might return to this skill while incorporating whatever advanced techniques, rhythms, or scales we’re working on.

Now that you’ve finished the course what’s the next accomplishment you’d like help with?

Transcribing and subdividing more complex syncopated rhythms. Probably too specific to me, but I’m also trying to learn to sing and play at the same time.

Thanks again and looking forward to the next course, whatever it may be,
Laura.

4 Likes

An exploration of different styles would be awesome, including typical scales, tones, tunings, musical structures of each genre, so players can expand their horizons and improve their musicianship. At the end of the day, it’s cool to be a good “technician” on the instrument, but to be a good “musician” is even better.

3 Likes