What Would You Like To See In The Next Course

Haha, yep, facepalm! Will never do that to you again. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I just arrived at the slap-o-dule. I think instead of a new course you could do a little longer units focused on skills like this, because the module is way too short to learn slap. So my idea would be like the skill tree in ye olden games:
ShapeShiftingSkills

Personally, I like having real riffs in the course. So maybe you would dig up beginner slap lines and then go on to more and more difficult ones, so that the module becomes a clinic in slapping.

Although slapping might be too niche, and I am aware that other instructors are doing this stuff already.

6 Likes

More than most things, in the next course I’d like to see the next course.

13 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion @antonio ! The real question is - can druids still slap the bass when in bear form, and does it change any FCR breakpoints?

@MC-Canadastan ZING :stuck_out_tongue: me too!

9 Likes

I really enjoyed the course but the one thing that I always struggled with was on what and how to practice beyond going to the exercises in each chapter. Some sort of guide on how to practice would be great.

7 Likes

Hi @JoshFossgreen ,

as soon as I have graduated and became an official Badass here I started looking around for next course. Looked for reviews/experiences, checked free material, even registered for a few ones - and have to admit the “magic” you bring (approach, style, explanations, methods etc.) are extremely unique. What I want to say is I’ll enroll as soon as am informed on the next course!
For now I’ll stick with SBL (as Ian Allison has somehow similar vibe matching Josh’s the most based on my research) and TBH even enjoying it, just… Miss something I had here and nowhere else in my life for any topic’s any course.

Bottom line: please continue (NOW! :joy:), suggestion from my side is to do thematic courses/lessons (after all we all are preferring specific genres over the others, right?): Motown, R’n’B, blues, soul, reggae - ultimately ending up at jazz. What to cover inside these? Sound (pickup/amp side! - I love how Ian always shares this part), rhythm (specific to given genre), chord progression, structure etc.

I know it’s not much and not unique - but hey, just grabbed the bass 2 months ago so how should I know, right? :laughing:

Just… Keep up the good work, let’s get to the next level together and I’m a happy guy :guitar:

5 Likes

This was way back in 2018…are there any plans for another course? I need structured videos/lessons for me to keep on track.

4 Likes

I’d like to see a course with a focus solely on slap. You did a great intro in your B2B course but I would love to see you apply your fantastic teaching style to a bit more advanced slap stuff.

5 Likes

My one request for the new Bassbuzz program would be to add all of the tablature to the hard copy materials that come with the dvds.

I would find it very useful to access the tablature without having to pause the dvd to try and figure out the tab.

So please @JoshFossgreen , give us a hard copy of the tabs!

I would even pay for a hard copy of the tablature included in the current Beginner to Badass program.

6 Likes

I’d like to see lessons on position shifting, such as in the bass lines for Ziggy Stardust and Running Away.

4 Likes

I’m less than a week in to B2BA and only on lesson 15, but I already starting to think, ‘what comes after this…?’ @JoshFossgreen, will there be second course? :metal:

5 Likes

Search the forum, we have a few after bassbuzz topics that cover this in great detail and are very helpful, like this one…

The 50 song challenge thread here is also a good way to expand on every single thing you are learning.

Or, you could hold your breath for course #2 from Josh, as long as you are interested in turning blue.

5 Likes

Thanks John. I’m new here, so haven’t fully scoured the forum!

It would be fantastic if there were second course as I’m really enjoying the style/approach of B2BA, in that it’s helping a non-musician ‘get it’, in nice, bite sized chunks :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Oh hello there,

I just finished the course and like everyone else here, I’m super grateful I found it. As someone with a desire to practice every day but not a lot of free time, I appreciate how you pair relentless optimism with practical lesson planning. Your super power is translating music theory into fun, immediately actionable exercises - you’re like the Neil deGrasseTyson of music theory for bass.

What topics would you like to see explored in the next course:

Chord tones - their shapes on the bass, an overview of more complicated chords beyond basic major and minor triads, and how to read chord charts.

Along those lines, a module on improvising walking bass lines would intrigue me because it would incorporate so many different aspects of theory and technique. For the record, I’m not even someone who wants to become a jazz bass player, I’ve just noticed that the fundamentals of jazz seem to make my ear and playing better no matter what kind of music I try to play.

A broad overview of different styles that incorporate some of the more advanced rhythm (16 note feel) and left hand articulation techniques (muting, hammer ons and pull offs, faster shifting on the neck - stuff that you touched on briefly in the masterclass section of this course) within the context of different musical styles. You go into this on your YouTube channel, but the way you organized this course to build in difficulty was very motivating to me and took a lot of the guess work out of it. I enjoy having my horizons widened to genres that I’m not instinctively drawn to on my own.

What Would You Like More Of?

The improv lessons were really freeing and in any course you decide to create, I’d appreciate lessons that might return to this skill while incorporating whatever advanced techniques, rhythms, or scales we’re working on.

Now that you’ve finished the course what’s the next accomplishment you’d like help with?

Transcribing and subdividing more complex syncopated rhythms. Probably too specific to me, but I’m also trying to learn to sing and play at the same time.

Thanks again and looking forward to the next course, whatever it may be,
Laura.

4 Likes

An exploration of different styles would be awesome, including typical scales, tones, tunings, musical structures of each genre, so players can expand their horizons and improve their musicianship. At the end of the day, it’s cool to be a good “technician” on the instrument, but to be a good “musician” is even better.

3 Likes

More of a feature suggestion:

The Hal Leonard books have this player on the website that shows the waveform of the isolated bass track. You hear the entire song/clip, but can see the marker pass over the waveform of the bass. It can sometimes be a challenge to pick the bass out of a mix - but this makes it really easy to pick it out and see how it fits into the song.

4 Likes

I just came across this thread again and it got me thinking. I have a bunch of courses by mark at talking bass and they are excellent. Scott at sbl has a bunch of similar courses. as do a bunch of others. mark frequently makes the point that there is nothing new under the sun and they are all saying the same thing. so if josh were to put out a scales course or a chord tones course, or any others that have been done to death (ie slap). would I buy it? even though I already own Mark’s courses on these subjects? yes, yes I would. because what gives Josh’s course value is not what he teaches as much as how he teaches it. he makes it fun and interesting and easy to learn.

10 Likes

You’re right on. :+1:

3 Likes

100% agree. Due to a host of neurodivergent issues, it has to be a very particular way for any kind of training to be effective for me. Josh is the only instructor I’ve found that does all the right things I need. At this point, I don’t even care what instructional video he puts out. I’ll buy it no matter what. Josh puts out a “How to Wash your Dishes Properly” series? Take my credit card.

For SBL, I like the subjects they cover but their teaching style doesn’t work for me at all. I do love their non-teaching videos on youtube and their podcast, however.

Talking Bass hits some of the right notes for me…no pun intended…ok maybe a little intended. The information is presented in a format that I need BUT the delivery is a bit dry and I have to watch it in small chunks to be able to absorb it. Once I figured out HOW I need to watch TB stuff, I started to have more success and I’m currently going though the “Chord Tone” course.

Long story longer: Josh is the greatest instructor to ever live. I would follow him into Mordor at this point and purchase any course he puts out along the way.

You have my axe…and by “axe” I mean the slang term for electric guitar.

10 Likes

Hey Josh,
I am super excited at the thought of a new course. I know you will be teaching us great stuff.
I would very much like to go into a bit more depth on the blues form. Understanding how to create different grooves, using fretboard, shapes and improvising and playing along. So much music comes from blues progressions etc. Seems like a great form to really get to grips with.
I would also like us to look in a similar way at the structure of simple jazz progressions and walking bass patterns. That is largely unexplored territory for me and at the moment, I can’t quite “hear it”, if you know what i mean? I can improvise a simple blues groove and have a real feel for that. I don’t have a clue about jazz progressions though. They don’t make sense to me at the moment.
Also I would find it very helpful to be able to see a little further ahead during the play alongs. I’m not sure how you might do that. It is often a bit frustrating as we reach the final bar on the screen not to know what is coming up next!
I think the bits i enjoyed most in the B2B course were the play alongs and the improvising. I know there are copyright issues, but it would be awesome if we could play some whole songs together. Similarly, some longer improvs would be awesome.
Thank you again for all you are doing. Learning the bass from you has changed my life (in a very good way).
Hugs,
Sue
P.S. I just realised that above I said “I can improvise a simple blues groove”. What!! 10 weeks ago i had never even held a bass guitar. Amazing!! :upside_down_face:

5 Likes