What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

Oh cool, I’ll check out the Big Goat. I’d seen someone else mention that one. Thanks!

This is the real answer someday :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. Only really intended to have the After Shock (compressor came as stated in post above), but I kept having FOMO by not having the one pedal I always wanted, VMT. So I just went for it.

To be honest, through the Fender Rumble, the VMT doesn’t shine the way it comes through on YouTube samples (DI). I can hear more of its character through headphones, but the Rumble Baked in sound and speaker definitely changes it. No regrets though. I still use it as an always on pedal and fidget with the settings.

2 Likes

@terb how’s the SVT amp sim on the Pod X3?

2 Likes

I did extensive research of fuzz pedals about a year ago. The one I wanted was the Seratone by Rocket Surgeon (Nordstrand), but they are out of stock and haven’t made anymore for about two years now.

So, I got what I thought was the next best sound, the EHX Green Russian. I found this sound better than the EHX bass specific fuzz pedals and it works fine on bass. Of course, fuzz/distortion/overdrive is a very personal thing, so might not be the right choice for others.

3 Likes

I love how it says “Overdrive” in english, just spelled in Cyrillic letters. Like some kind of Russian version of Katakana.

(which may be the Russian word for overdrive for all I know; certainly a lot of loan words in Katakana are the actual Japanese words for things.)

edit: it is :slight_smile:

5 Likes

it’s excellent, very probably the more realistic of all the SVT sims I own (hardware or software). to me it sounds and behaves more like a SVT-CL (the one with one channel and the black faceplate) , whereas the sims are often based on the SVT-VR (two channels and silver face plate - the original SVT). it’s agressive, punchy, has lots of gain, and behaves very close to an actual amp.

I think you listened to this cover, recorded with the SVT sim on the X3.

The X3 is really an impressive tool, it’s by far one of my favorite PODs. and it’s not the one we find the most easily, possibly because it was very expensive at the time. I see this preamp like some kind of hidden gem in the Line 6 range.

3 Likes

to me the Muff is not a fuzz, but more an extreme distorsion. I had to repair an original green russian Muff, two decades ago. this is by far my favorite version (I know very well the black russian and the USA versions, too). this thing was incredible.

yl4xvo34dtrs4ltogtuj

the original green russian Muff sell for insane prices now.

4 Likes

To be honest, I get a bit lost in the whole is it overdrive, distortion, or fuzz thing. I just know they all rough up the noise. :slight_smile:

I was actually going into this with no budget constraint, so was a bit surprised I liked the EHX pedal so much to be honest. Just showed me that the price of a pedal doesn’t necessarily correlate to the quality/attractiveness of the sound (which is subjective of course). I’ve found EHX pedals to be very good value for money. I also have the EHX Bass Clone Chorus and the EHX Tone Corset Compressor.

it’s pretty normal ; it’s more about electronic circuits typology than anything else :slight_smile: the Muff is designed like a distorsion, with multiple stacked gain stages. but that’s a detail.

EHX pedals are excellent and there is really an EHX personnality. I’m totally OK with you, it’s not at all a matter of price tag.

2 Likes

Yes, I do like the sound in that one!

Thank you for the extensive explanation. Very helpful.

You wouldn’t happen to know if the SVT sim in the bass pack add on to the HD500X is the same or just as good would you?

1 Like

I have a POD HD and a POD HD 500 but I don’t have the bass pack. I’m sure it’s not the same model than on the X3 (all POD generation sound really different) and I’m pretty sure it’s not as good as the one on the X3. the HD series are pretty bad with basses. I would prefer a X3 Live over a HD500X.

2 Likes

That pretty much settles it then. I never would have thought that I’d have to get a new kidney to treat a case of GAS. What was once briefly listed on Reverb now belongs to me. Thank you for your help!

4 Likes

you’re very welcome ! the X3 is really a great piece of gear.

2 Likes

In case anyone else is interested, here is the secret decoder ring to translate the fake names used in the Line 6 POD X3 into what actual models of gear they are based on . . .

5 Likes

Congrats. You won’t regret it! :smiley:

2 Likes

Really nice. I am not sure I would need the Microtubes with the AfterShock, but it couldn’t hurt anything. And I have not tried that compressor, but it should be incredible, and is on my list for ones to try (I am a bit of a compression geek).
Very solid start, you could easily add a tuner, and be ready for a show.
There are other fun things you could add, but none are MUSTS.
Well
Maybe a pedal that does Amp Sims and Cab Mods, one you can load yourself.
You can do all that on your computer if you want, but it would be for home recording more than for playing live with friends, at a band practice or jam session and for a live gig. Or get a Line 6 Bass Pod or Bass Pod Pro (rackmount). you can’t add our own, but they have all the good amps and cabs you would want to use.

If you have a good live Amp, then you don’t HAVE to have those, and then that pedal board with a tuner added is ROCKING?

PS, Get rid of the MicroTubes, then you are color coded, and looking sick. Black and Orange, you will have the best looking pedalboard anywhere. LOL
The joke is Orange is my color, so Yeah, I am gonna say things like that

Switch the order, put the aftershock before the VMT, and use the VMT for your tube amp color; just leave it always on with light or no distortion. It’s one of the best sounding pedals on the planet.

2 Likes

Ok, do that, after you paint it orange :wink:
Sound is subjective, I think its OK, and have others have sounded better to me in tests and whan playing around, but it does sound really good. Just with the Aftershock, you kind of get any pedal you want with all the customizability of the pedal.

I see a lot of people recommending tuner pedals. Something wrong with a clip-on? I have the Polytune one. Seems to work fine for me. Sure, aesthetically it isn’t as nice though…

1 Like

Just using the VMT for its color, EQ, and slight drive, it still sounds amazing and brings something the Aftershock won’t.

Check it out here (last example) compared to some really good amp sims. The VMT alone sounds better than most actual amps.