Where are you guys from?

Czech republic here … slowly, but steadily getting through the course … battling Billie Jean atm. :smiley:

8 Likes

I’ve never surfed, but if it beats jumping out of a plane, then I guess I’m sorry that I never did…

4 Likes

The city without an O, Tranna!

I’m in the home city of the U of Goo here, west of you.

2 Likes

I never jumped out of a plane. I am sure that is a huge rush as well.
But, I think you are almost certain to have your chute open and land on the ground unharmed.

There is no guarantee that after a big wave wipeout, that you are going to resurface and breathe air again, although modern big wave riders have float suits, and jet ski’s doing safety and get people out of bad situations as best they can.

That in a way makes the rush a little more rushy when in really big waves, and that may compare to rush from skydiving.
The smaller safer waves, still a rush, and fun as can be, but less of the danger rush, so maybe its a little more of a rush jumping out of a plane in that case. I am sure its a thrill and fun as hell, but I can’t see it being funner overall then surfing perfect waves

This is more rush then I would be willing to take, and a bit more rush then 99% of the surfing population would be willing to take, but the rush these guys must get, I can’t see many things being a bigger rush.

This spot in Tahiti I am talking about, Teahupoo, is about the heaviest wave in the world. CloudBreak in Fiji is close, and there is a spot in Western Australia, called the Right that is crazy for different reasons.
Skeleton Bay in western coast of Africa, is heavy and the fastest wave in the world.
And of course JAWS on north shore Maui, and the original Waimea Bay on north shore of Oahu, along with Pipeline and Backdoor.
And don’t forget Mavericks in Central California. The thing that makes Mavericks so scary, aside from Great white sharks, that are also in Western OZ, is that it is in freezing cold water. The water itself, being cold, hurts more when you get slammed, and it takes your breath away faster.
Go in the shower under as cold of water as you can in the shower, and you will see how it takes your breath away.

But Teahupoo (Cho-poo, or Chopes as it is called, even tho it is not the proper Tahitian pronunciation. which is Tay-a-hoo-poo). Is just freaking crazy.
This is a tow in day, so too big to paddle in, and paddle in days on the verge of being too big are straight up insane.
This also breaks over a razor sharp reef in as little as 3 feet of water.

This is noteworthy, because it has the size, and it is an almost unmake-able wave, so you are pretty much destined to eat it. It is also cold water, but not as cold as Mavericks.
“THE RIGHT” in Western Australia (Side Note - I don’t think you can paddle into this wave, I think it is tow-in only)

OH, and how can I forget THE WEDGE in Newport beach, about 2 miles from where I am sitting right now.
It was going off last week too, first of the southern Hemisphere hurricane swells, this summer should be big.
Side note, this breaks right on a sandbar, in as little as 1 foot of water, and has that rebound wave coming off the Jetty, making for some interesting situations.

But, I am not saying skydiving is not crazy, especially base jumping, and I am iffy with heights, but its cuz I always want to jump off, for some insane reason.

Show me some of the craziest skydiving things that are out there.

2 Likes

Famously dangerous (well, famous in SF anyway.) Killed a few people. Cold, too. I love Half Moon Bay but it’s not that sunny SoCal beach experience :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:face_vomiting: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Yeah, organ meats - not my thing.

4 Likes

Oh god he called them organ meats…
:face_vomiting:
Somebody make it stop!

4 Likes

It was a terrible experience from start to finish, I am generally up to trying any new food, and did, but now will rethink especially when organ meats are involved

4 Likes

I visited Old Town Dubrovnik during a cruise a few years ago. Stunning port and gorgeous views on the way to the old town.

4 Likes

I was born in Boston, Mass and my parents wanted to get away from the cold winters and so we moved to California when I was 10 years old. I live in Burbank, CA now.

6 Likes

Still to this day whenever I hear “Burbank” all I can think of is Johnny Carson jokes.

3 Likes

By far my favourite episode on Carson was when Frank Sinatra was the guest, and Don Rickles barged in.

4 Likes

I often drive by the studios where Carson and Leno did their shows.

4 Likes

Not to far away from where I was born.
I live down in Orange County, ever since I was 6 months old, aside from a few years out of California, but I found my way back home.

4 Likes

Athens, Greece here!
:raised_hands:

9 Likes

Αθήναι

I love your city.

5 Likes

Near or at the top of places I’d like to visit next. :grin:

5 Likes

You both honor me :smiley:

5 Likes

You guys have so much history.