Where are you guys from?

Ah I rode that at Six Flags New Jersey!
It was painfully boring. Went slow. Sweeping turns. Not the experience you would have thought. I thought that’s why they killed it.

You’re right it lasted like a year.

5 Likes

With my career in Cartography, I know exactly where this is; and I wish to visit it someday.

7 Likes

Cool how widely spread out we all are, what an awesome mix :slight_smile:
I was born and raised in Zimbabwe (southern Africa), and went to college to study animation in neighbouring Cape Town, South Africa. Couldn’t get a work visa to stay there when I graduated, so I moved back to Zimbabwe for a few years and applied for ancestral citizenship to South Africa. I got it in 2015, and moved back to Cape Town to work in early 2017. Didn’t like the company I worked for (the boss’s son harassed me, my colleagues excluded me because I wasn’t Afrikaans speaking) etc.
In 2016 I started long distance dating an Italian who was doing his PhD in Amsterdam, Netherlands, so when I got fed up of working in South Africa, I moved to the Netherlands. I absolutely loved it there! Unfortunately academia required him to move, so in January this year we packed up and moved to Massachusetts, USA. We will probably move again when this position is up in 3 years (or 6, depending on how it goes).

6 Likes

I guess this is a good time to remind everyone about this demographic poll that @Jazzbass19 created.

5 Likes

I’m from The Netherlands. I was born, raised and am still living in Dordrecht, one of the oldest towns/cities in the region that used to be Holland. We would have celebrated its 800th anniversary last year, if Covid hadn’t gotten in the way.

9 Likes

There is a great miniature hobby-shop in Dordrecht, if I recall correctly :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You probably mean this one:

3 Likes

That’s the one! I used to buy from there (online) when COVID hit and I couldn’t go to the ones around A’dam.

4 Likes

Hehe, small world :relaxed:

4 Likes

Gotta say from my experience in working with Dutch people, you are awesome bunch. Always so chill, easygoing and open.

6 Likes

I travelled to Amseterdam several times in a 2 year period.
What a terrific country and city.

Loved the food, some of the most unique and tasty restaurants there are.
Had dinner on an old deep sea oil rig, in the original Stork factory, and an amazing seafood place called Pesca where they greet you with beer and wine when you walk inBEFORE you sit down (love it), then you pick your seafood from a market style display and you keep your beer in a bucket of ice next to you at the table.

There was this one restaurant, not my thing, very trendy, no menu, what the chef felt like making, however, he felt like making brains, kidneys, hearts and testicles of various previously living things. Not my bag, but appreciate the effort.

7 Likes

One of my bucket places to surf is Jeffry’s Bay in South Africa. Hopefully its big enough to keep the sharks from coming into the line up.

I was watching it live on Surfline.com, and they had a different angle that I can never find. In this angle the wave blocks the view, but the shark showed its whole head, and he punched it in the nose. Then you can see the rest, him using the board to block, then swimming towards the rocky shore, before being picked up by the jet ski.
That is the home of the Jumping Great Whites, so, you are always gonna have a risk, but with big waves, they usually stay further off shore.
I still want to surf it, it is one of the best Right Point breaks in the world.
The best right point break in California is right in the middle of a 2nd of 3, Great White home in the world. I believe Australia’s great barrier reef is the 3rd place in the world that has huge population of great white’s.

I have never seen anything but a small lemon shark, about 18" long and various sand sharks the same size or less.

4 Likes

Yeah, see, this is why I was always up for safe hobbies like flying and motorcycling. The sea is full of horrible things and divers are crazy :rofl:

Ok I was an avid sailing person too, but stay in the boat. Boat = good, in the water = bad.

Swimming is great, one of my favorite activities. But not in the freaking sea :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Riding waves is the BEST FEELING in the world. That is why millions get in the sea every day and do it.
I have done alot of things, Motorcycles, Boats, Ski, Snowboard, water Ski, lots and lots of high adrenalin activities, and there is no rush as big as riding a wave on a surfboard. I mean NO RUSH as good, all drugs included, Sex might be close, depends on the partner.

6 Likes

Oh I have ridden many many waves. Huge swells both in the bay and offshore. And it’s amazing.

In a boat :slight_smile:

(mostly joking, I know tons of surfers, and I haven’t lived more than 100 miles from a coast since I was 5 - and for all but six months, a lot closer than that).

3 Likes

I’ve never sailed, but remember a funny quote I heard once…
“If you wish to experience the thrill of sailing, stand in your shower and rip up $100 bills”

9 Likes

Making sure the water is on cold and maybe have a fan blowing on you too, yeah.

8 Likes

I loved sailing only done it once it was in the sea and very rocky it was great hanging over the side surfing the waves awesome… but always intended to do some lesson but like a lot of things never got round to it, it wouldnt be in the sea either just a lake it cant be the same.

6 Likes

Sailing is awesome. I’ve done a fair bit, enjoyed most of it, swore at some of it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Avenue and Lawrence. The 6ix.

6 Likes